Flysimware NEW FREE planes ! (?)...and rara-avis sims

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: Flysimware NEW FREE planes ! (?)...and rara-avis sims

Postby wvernonc » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:47 pm

Delta Tango Nine Two. Thanks. Downloading now.

(Worked just fine. Thanks!)
wvernonc
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby wvernonc » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:12 pm

rara-avis sim, seems to be gone.
wvernonc
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby lastivka » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:24 pm

wvernonc wrote:rara-avis sim, seems to be gone.

Yes, it looks like Craig Richardson, has closed that web site. His only contact now is on a page featuring his new MS2020 models:

A couple of his models are still available under the name "Rara-Avis" here:
https://www.justflight.com/searchresult ... =rara-avis
Visit fsxmissionshangar.com

For Missions in FSX and P3D
lastivka
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Intrusive installers

Postby lastivka » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:35 pm

Delta Tango Nine Two wrote:I know that being freeware models (currently)... I can NOT complain, (rather, thank you for such good gifts)... but I get annoyed (and note that this is something "inherited" from the payware version)... is that the installer is very intrusive- mandatory... it forces you to install it in the simulator.
it is not a container installer where you install it in a temporary folder and then take the folders to the simulator.... it forces you to choose the specific path or it does not install anything. also (almost certainly) leaves some record in the windows registry.

I feel exactly the same. What I did in this case, to "beat the system" is to create a dummy installation folder, and inside it create an empty text file called "fsx.exe", and then create empty folders within the FSX dummy folder: "Sounds", "Effects" etc. This fools the installer to place the files in the relevant folder hierarchy which mimics the real one in FSX. :D
Visit fsxmissionshangar.com

For Missions in FSX and P3D
lastivka
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Intrusive installers

Postby Delta Tango Nine Two » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:11 pm

lastivka wrote:
Delta Tango Nine Two wrote:I know that being freeware models (currently)... I can NOT complain, (rather, thank you for such good gifts)... but I get annoyed (and note that this is something "inherited" from the payware version)... is that the installer is very intrusive- mandatory... it forces you to install it in the simulator.
it is not a container installer where you install it in a temporary folder and then take the folders to the simulator.... it forces you to choose the specific path or it does not install anything. also (almost certainly) leaves some record in the windows registry.

I feel exactly the same. What I did in this case, to "beat the system" is to create a dummy installation folder, and inside it create an empty text file called "fsx.exe", and then create empty folders within the FSX dummy folder: "Sounds", "Effects" etc. This fools the installer to place the files in the relevant folder hierarchy which mimics the real one in FSX. :D

yes... I understand you... I used to do that (create a COPY of fsx.exe in a folder on the desktop ...and then install there)

but some software is more intrusive (I'm not complaining, it's your right and I respect it)...
It happens that you install it by "cheating" the installer... but a record remains (in some hidden place in Windows)
you take the folders to the simulator... and it works!!! ....but if you uninstall the software (although the uninstaller can't do anything since YOU MOVED the folders) it will delete some information from the registry...which LOCKS THE MODEL and cannot be used.

the "freemium" model (not freeware) of the BOEING 757 JUSTFLIGHT has this "lock"
(I've read that many use JF's 757 VC as MERGE for 767 freeware)...but EVEN if you bring all the contents of the vc to 767...and then uninstall 757 (again...although the uninstaller doesn't can do nothing...it will simply delete the registry information so that the model cannot be used)

you only want the model...you take it to the simulator...but giant letters will appear...black screens...etc...etc (depending on the software)

...also... if the model has additional configuration software (external programs to configure weights, passengers, cargo, ETC...ETC...as I recently realized with the free MILVIZ models) if you install on a folder on the desktop the model...and then you take it to the simulator...the configuration software will not be able to find the model...(because you moved it)...and you will not be able to modify its settings...

Anyway... my choice is this: freeware software, without installers (just "unzip, cut, paste,...and fly")...and if it's a freeware with an installer... let it be just a "package" "Installer... that does not install registries, nor hidden things.

<<q <<s
Delta Tango Nine Two
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Delta Tango Nine Two » Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:05 pm

hello, everyone... :D :D
It's been almost a year since I made the "N2627K RED" texture....I've learned a lot since then...so I decided to do a "recheck" for the textures.....and was horrified :o :o that they looked terribly wrong. I explain:
the original texture is BMP DXT 5....every time you edit it and save in that format with the dxtbmp program, it "compresses" it...and purple spots start to appear...and squares...you realize when the WHITE color ends up being LIGHT VIOLET...(more information about this in the thread about the "737 project")
...so instead of making some "little improvements"...I DROPPED EVERYTHING...AND REBUILD THE ENTIRE PACKAGE FROM Scratch ...and took advantage of it to add more features and options and fixes (that I didn't notice before) 8-) 8-) :dance:

all the improvements to this texture (if you want you can apply it to the default texture...no problem)

-now the saving format is DDS 888-8 32 Bits (without any compression, it keeps each image bit as it is)
-I passed all "white" surfaces (soft purple) to real gray scale (no more weird colors or purples)
-NEW: redone from scratch the 3 types of "N2627K RED" livery
-NEW: new FULL CLEAN texture...without additions, or license plates...
-NEW: Added more "color smoothed" VC details (part of this is made from scratch)

V3 FIX:
-the tips of the wings (including the original one that comes with the package) had INCOMPLETE color (marks were visible)... this was fixed
-CRITICAL: the TRIM panel at night SHINED A LOT...although this is a feature that cannot be modified... the texture was redone to "smooth out the brightness"... besides that originally this texture was incomplete.

for you to compare... the V2 file weighed 46Mb... this new V3 file is 233 Mb (I don't do any type of compression in any of my packages)
If it is not today... the file will be online tomorrow. greetings.

Delta Tango Nine Two
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby papituwall » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:20 pm

I have downloaded the C182 and can be installed from FSX up to P3Dv5
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Previous

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam