Indirect help for user

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Indirect help for user

Postby pete » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:18 pm

A file has been uploaded by Anthony Eades asking Chris Evans about 2 747-400F textures. Not sure if this was posted on the forum?

He has uploaded 2 images to show black patches at the front. However I checked the Asiana cargo version and for me at least the aircraft appears fine

This is Anthony's image

And the same aircraft in my sim

Maybe Chris will see this. But looking at the image I would ask you if you have FSX basic or Accelleration and if it's the basic version have you installed the expansion packs? (been so long I hope I have the name right for that! :lol: ) - Also possible a video card issue?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Indirect help for user

Postby nthnyds » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:21 am

Hi Pete,
I have the FSX acceleration installed.
These are the only two B747, or any other aircraft, which show this texture effect. All the others, from different postings, and the default 747 are fine.
Graphics are on board graphics, Intel HD 630 and I have no problem with FSX at 50fpm.
I sent Chris a PM but unfortunately I could not get the images to upload on that PM so took the only other route available. Mea Culpa. :evil:
nthnyds
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:49 am

Just for confirmation. This was taken in FSX-SE. DirectX10 preview disabled.

Link to file https://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=b744f_asiana_cargo.zip&categoryId=&filename=Y

I know that Chris doesn't have FSX.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete » Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:24 am

Well if it's just these 2 then there will be a clue what is causing it. I've emailed Chris and hopefully he will look into it.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby nthnyds » Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:53 am

For information. I have downloaded another of Chris's repaints -another Boeing 747-400BCF- the MyCargo repaint - and this one is OK?
nthnyds
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby cevans » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:34 am

Good morning

I have compared the 747f files of those that seem to have the issue and another that doesn't. (skylease cargo)

Both have the same GE model. But as I don't have the issue it's hard to test it.

Can you try 2 things please. Do it outside the sim. Delete the one in the sim and re-install after doing this:

1. In the Asiana version, remove the whole 'texture' folder (not texture.a or texture.vc)
2. Inside the 'texture.a' folder you will see a file called 1OS747F_NOSE_LOGO (it's likely the 1st file you see ) - Delete it.

Now try installing the a/c to the sim and see that happens

If this has no effect I will look more
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby nthnyds » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:59 am

Hi Chris.
Carried out those two recommendations.
Sorry - problem of black textures still there.
nthnyds
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby nthnyds » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:20 am

https://simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1650130786.jpg

Am I seeing things that aren't there?

This is an image of the other B747 cargo a/c repainted by Chris that I downloade earlier, and in normal flight size looks absolutely fine.
If you look at the enlarged frontal image above , at the areas I have circled, can I see the same texture problem - but very faintly under the repaint - or am I imagining this?

Not sure if I am being a help or a hindrance.
nthnyds
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby nthnyds » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:23 am

Hi Chris,
Have downloaded the SkyLease model that you mentioned.
The texture problem is on that one also.

I also downloaded the original 2004 Posky model (Virgin Texture from AVSIM) and textures are OK.
nthnyds
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby cevans » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:25 pm

Hi,

The one you mention is before I began texturing myself. (Mycargo)

Is it only 747-400F? Or also all 747's that I have textured?

Yes I also see the grey shaded area. But what is it?
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby nthnyds » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:50 am

Hi Chris. Not sure if what I am going to post will enlighten, or confuse the issue further.
It seems to me that the problem is with the Posky 747-400 cargo model, probably from the original file.
I downloaded a B747-800 cargo model - Airbridge - and this was OK.
I then downloaded an original Posky 2004 file - a B747-400 cargo repainted by Mathieu Voss and the two offending textures were totally missing. See uploaded file.
https://simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1650224740.jpg

I then downloaded the official Posky repaint file for the 747-400 cargo version - B747-400v4Freighterspaintkit
I then took the texture OS747_Nose_Logo texture from the repaint file and added it to the Asiana Cargo texture.a folder, and reinstalled the aircraft.
The result is in this uploaded image.
https://simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1650262303.jpg

You were obviously on the right track when you asked me to delete that particular texture. The problem could be that the texture you were using was corrupted?
nthnyds
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby nthnyds » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:07 am

Hello again Chris. Following on from my last post I went back to the original Martinair B747-400 Cargo aircratf.

In the texture.m file the nose logo texture was named - 1OS747F_Nose_Logo.
I rename the texture by deleting the "1" to "OS747F_Nose_Logo" and reloaded the aircraft.

The result is in this uploaded image.
https://simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1650186580.jpg
nthnyds
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby cevans » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:40 am

Looks like we may be getting somewhere.

So what exactly do you see if you just delete that nose logo BMP? (for each change you must change it outside FSX, then add it to FSX and restart the sim)

This Silkway West version appears to not have the nose logo BMP included. Can you try that?

https://simviation.com/1/search?submit= ... st&x=0&y=0
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby nthnyds » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:16 am

Hi Chris. If I remove the nose logo texture bmp from the Asiana or the Martinaair 747-400 I get the "black" patches on the nose. If I put the nose logo texture back, everything is good.
Likewise, if I change the name of the texture bmp in any way - add a 1 or a 2 infront - the black patches are there. Change the name back to the original and everything is OK.
The Silkway West does not have the nose logo bmp and in FSX the black patches are on the nose.
https://simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1650283957.jpg

I added the nose logo texture from the "paint kit" and everthing was OK.
https://simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1650270920.jpg

Seems like that texture is the answer. If it is there, and the original name, the texture is good. If it is not there or corrupted (re-named) in any way the textures are bad. Obviously one would have to "paint" the texture to suit the aircraft. I'm using the same one all the time which shows "JAL CARGO" on the nose.
nthnyds
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby cevans » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:28 pm

I have uploaded what I hope is a a fix and maybe you can check it out when it is on the site?
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Next

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam