VSync in FSX, DX10?

FSX including FSX Steam version.

VSync in FSX, DX10?

Postby ConcordeError404 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:19 am

I know most of you will be a bit confused on why the hell am I talking about DX10 FSX in this day and age of MSFS 2020 and P3D, but I'll keep that for later.

So I did a bit of tweaking to make FSX look a tad bit better, and sure enough, it does look good!

But here is where I run into a problem, Screen Tearing. A headache which I can't resolve with any addon, even SteveFX's DX10 Scenery Fixer. I don't wanna give up on DX10 shaders, nor do I want a huge bit of screen tearing either. Tried all methods in fsx.cfg, all to no help. Tried Nvidia Profile Inspector, again fruitless. Hope you guys have a solution?
If you are unable to fly an aircraft, become the aircraft
-the guy who came with concept of a wing suit, perhaps
ConcordeError404
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: VSync in FSX, DX10?

Postby Daube » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:16 am

Concorde001 wrote:So I did a bit of tweaking to make FSX look a tad bit better, and sure enough, it does look good!

The water is probably the biggest problem...

But here is where I run into a problem, Screen Tearing. A headache which I can't resolve with any addon, even SteveFX's DX10 Scenery Fixer. I don't wanna give up on DX10 shaders, nor do I want a huge bit of screen tearing either. Tried all methods in fsx.cfg, all to no help. Tried Nvidia Profile Inspector, again fruitless. Hope you guys have a solution?

You mentioned NVidia Profile Inspector: what changes did you make in there ?
I suppose you went to the FSX profile and forced the Vsync to ON ? Anything else ?
I was about to recommend deleting the shaders, but I don't remember if this recommendation is still valid in DX10 mode or not....
Last edited by Daube on Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Daube » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:19 am

Another remark: in FSX DX9 mode, you can use some nice shaders mods that do not ruin your VSync (as far as I remember), and producing much better results than what we see on your screenshot above.
If DX10 really a must for you ? You didn't explain your context yet.
In DX9, I remember there was a very nice ENB variant made by REX which were really improving the colors nicely.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby ConcordeError404 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:19 am

Daube wrote:
Concorde001 wrote:So I did a bit of tweaking to make FSX look a tad bit better, and sure enough, it does look good!

The water is probably the biggest problem...

You mentioned NVidia Profile Inspector: what changes did you make in there ?
I suppose you went to the FSX profile and forced the Vsync to ON ? Anything else ?
I was about to recommend deleting the shaders, but I don't remember if this recommendation is still valid in DX10 mode or not....

For the shaders, a range of selection from ReShade (in DX10 mode)
As for Nvidia Profile Inspector, well yeah, Force Vsync, along with 60 fps limiting

I saw a huge difference in DX10 vs DX9, including a better range of shadows and also more vibrant colours. I've tried ENBSeries for DX9, but I preferred these more.
ConcordeError404
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:41 am

Ok, I haven't touched ReShade since several years, but have you checked in the settings (files) if there's anything related to VSync as well ? Some setting inside ReShade might actually override the NVidia settings, maybe ?
Other than that, I have no idea.
As far as I know, there has never been many people using the DX10 mode in FSX. It used to be popupal back with the DX10 fixer appeared on the market, but since then, P3D appeared and most people swithed to that one instead. FSX-DX10 has nothing to offer compared to P3D, so I can hardly find any reason to keep with that sim...
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby ConcordeError404 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:18 am

Daube wrote:Ok, I haven't touched ReShade since several years, but have you checked in the settings (files) if there's anything related to VSync as well ? Some setting inside ReShade might actually override the NVidia settings, maybe ?
Other than that, I have no idea.
As far as I know, there has never been many people using the DX10 mode in FSX. It used to be popupal back with the DX10 fixer appeared on the market, but since then, P3D appeared and most people swithed to that one instead. FSX-DX10 has nothing to offer compared to P3D, so I can hardly find any reason to keep with that sim...

alright then, Imma check into the ReShade settings, and I'm thinking of moving on the P3D v4 anyways (my PC cant handle v5)
thanks again :dance:
ConcordeError404
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam