Testin'.....Testin'

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Testin'.....Testin'

Postby ConcordeError404 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:33 am

So I was wondering how to make FSX run more fast, and I came across this thing of running FSX in the DirectX 12 API instead of the usual DirectX 9 one. I've seen stuff that it increases FPS by almost 3X so I think it would be good to give it a try.......
What you all say 'bout it?
Maybe it could do some good
Think it's a stupid idea? No problem on that either.
If you are unable to fly an aircraft, become the aircraft
-the guy who came with concept of a wing suit, perhaps
ConcordeError404
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Testin'.....Testin'

Postby Daube » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:56 pm

You can't make FSX use a different DirectX version than the one it was made for.
FSX uses DX9, and if you install the SP2 or Acceleration, it kind of use DX10, and that's it.
Also, FSX is mostly slowed down by the CPU, because the main sim engine was implemented in such a way that it cannot really use all the CPU cores correctly, nor can he use the GPU power correctly.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby darrinward777 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:41 am

Assuming you have a quad core or better system... CFG FIX standards are listed
[BUFFERPOOLS]
Poolsize=0

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=14

There are calculators for AffinityMask on google search

Another method is to delete cfg file and let FSX load a new one, but any gauges from aircraft you install will all need to be approved again... FSX has a hard time using modern hardware...it was designed for the systems of it's time . It is always a balancing act between performance and graphics. For best results when loading FSX into a system make sure to always run as admin. Install it by creating a folder in docs , and loading it there (not in program x86 ) Use a SD drive and not the old spinners. Processor rated at 4.5 or higher.. min 8 gigs of ram even though it barly uses 4 of those. Atleast 8 core 8 thread PCU. and a graphics card with 4 gig memory on board.
darrinward777
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby ConcordeError404 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:55 am

darrinward777 wrote:Assuming you have a quad core or better system... CFG FIX standards are listed
[BUFFERPOOLS]
Poolsize=0

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=14

There are calculators for AffinityMask on google search

Another method is to delete cfg file and let FSX load a new one, but any gauges from aircraft you install will all need to be approved again... FSX has a hard time using modern hardware...it was designed for the systems of it's time . It is always a balancing act between performance and graphics. For best results when loading FSX into a system make sure to always run as admin. Install it by creating a folder in docs , and loading it there (not in program x86 ) Use a SD drive and not the old spinners. Processor rated at 4.5 or higher.. min 8 gigs of ram even though it barly uses 4 of those. Atleast 8 core 8 thread PCU. and a graphics card with 4 gig memory on board.

Ahh, I've already switched to P3D but anyways I can try that on my FSX installation, thanks
ConcordeError404
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:14 am

The purpose of the Affinity mask parameter is to attempt to prevent FSX from using the core0 of your CPU, where most of the Windows tasks are also running.
In FSX, using an affinity mask value like 14 for a quad-core CPU often gave a small increase in smoothness.

In P3D however, especially with the later versions, the effects of this parameter might vary a lot and sometimes might even be counter-productive.
From my side, with P3Dv3, using an affinity mask would often increase the issue of the blurries (the terrain textures not loading fast enough when flying fast).
In P3Dv4 I ended up not using any affinity mask anymore.

In the end, if you are using P3D already, I don't think it's worth the effort to keep FSX on your disk... Excepted for ONE reason: to keep the files for some of the FSX native planes to transfer them back to P3D where there might not exist. I'm thinking mostly about the Goose, the Beaver, and there was another nice one I forgot :P
These aircraft will look awesome in P3D, thanks to the improved graphic engine (new lights, new shadows etc...) and they work perfectly too :)
That's why, back in my P3Dv3 and v4 days, FSX Steam edition was still installed somewhere on my computer: only to get some of the default planes that were missing from P3D :D
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby ConcordeError404 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:25 am

Daube wrote:The purpose of the Affinity mask parameter is to attempt to prevent FSX from using the core0 of your CPU, where most of the Windows tasks are also running.
In FSX, using an affinity mask value like 14 for a quad-core CPU often gave a small increase in smoothness.

In P3D however, especially with the later versions, the effects of this parameter might vary a lot and sometimes might even be counter-productive.
From my side, with P3Dv3, using an affinity mask would often increase the issue of the blurries (the terrain textures not loading fast enough when flying fast).
In P3Dv4 I ended up not using any affinity mask anymore.

In the end, if you are using P3D already, I don't think it's worth the effort to keep FSX on your disk... Excepted for ONE reason: to keep the files for some of the FSX native planes to transfer them back to P3D where there might not exist. I'm thinking mostly about the Goose, the Beaver, and there was another nice one I forgot :P
These aircraft will look awesome in P3D, thanks to the improved graphic engine (new lights, new shadows etc...) and they work perfectly too :)
That's why, back in my P3Dv3 and v4 days, FSX Steam edition was still installed somewhere on my computer: only to get some of the default planes that were missing from P3D :D

I just use FSX for flying some of my favorite aircrafts that have gauges or the model itself incompatible in P3D, so it does have it's uses! :D
As for tweaks, I don't any except for Fiber Frame Time Fraction tweak, insanely useful for P3D v4.5
ConcordeError404
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:00 am

Ah yes, the Fiber frame tweak can make wonders, but I was flying only with unlimited FPS, due to the limited power of my computer.
In unlimited FPS, the FFTF tweak is disabled. It works only when a fix FPS limit is set in the sim option. But using such a setting was causing too much impact on the performance for me. :/
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam