Looking to get into FSX Steam Edition

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Looking to get into FSX Steam Edition

Postby JoaquinViggo » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:15 am

So due to some technical difficulties with a different simulator (iRacing), I decided to stop wasting my money on that and waste my money on what I want to do as a career (flying).

My biggest question is, how much different is steam edition than the original w/acceleration pack? Besides various mods. If there are any major differences please let me know.

Additionally, if anyone has the following mods for steam edition, E145, E175/E195, Airbus A320/321. How are those to fly and is it worth the money? (Also how are VFR aircraft with this/any different, and the G1000, what I use for my IRL flight training)

Another question, as I had previously owned FSX when it came out plus acceleration pack. Does the accel pack exist within steam edition or no?

Finally, some additional context, my computer is from 2010, i7 processor (of the time), and my graphics card was an Nvidea GeForce GT220 (plenty capable of holding FSX on higher settings), and secondly for this I will be buying a Logitech Extreme 3D pro joystick, (one you can buy in Best Buy).

Thank you for the information and have safe sim flights!
JoaquinViggo
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Looking to get into FSX Steam Edition

Postby wvernonc » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:26 pm

Steam edition is FSX with all the updates. Automatically updated as you use it. Works very well. No complaints here.
wvernonc
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Looking to get into FSX Steam Edition

Postby Daube » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:37 am

Just a little warning: if you're willing to spend money in complex liners aircraft, then I would recommend you to switch to P3Dv4 or P3Dv5 instead of FSX.
FSX being a 32 bits application, it cannot use more than 3 or 4 GB or RAM, and it uses them quite badly.
As a consequence, when using a complex aircraft (for example the A320 by FsLabs) over a complex airport (for example a major airport by FlyTampa or other well-known producers), you're very likely to end up in application crash to desktop because of lack of RAM.

P3Dv4 and P3Dv5 are 64 bits application, so they can use all the RAM you have on your computer.
That doesn't mean they won't crash at all, but it's less likely than FSX.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam