Side by Side configuration error - FSX

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Side by Side configuration error - FSX

Postby briancar89 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:19 am

Good evening,

On Tuesday night I left my computer to do the new Windows update overnight, Wednesday morning I went to log in and was getting "side by side" errors for basically every program on the computer. I was able to look at some forums and did a scan through the cmd prompt for something similary to "sfc /scannow" which ran a scan on the computer. After restarting everything is working as normal, except FSX. I have the Steam edition and normally will start up Steam, and then select FSX from there. I tried that and get this error in the screen shot below. I also tried to go into the FSX folder and run FSX.exe but I get the same error message just in a Windows text box. I'm not sure what else to do or why this is now only having an effect of FSX. I have tried to run the sxstrace.exe as it says in the error message, but nothing opens up, or seems to happen. I have tried typing that into the Windows search bar and tried to run it as an administrator through the windows file explorer.
I also saw in a forum it could be an issue with C++, I downloaded the file I was supposed to, but it will not install because it says there is an old version already installed. I'm not sure what to do with that as I don't want to make the computer worse and I'm not really a computer tech.
FSX.jpg
FSX.jpg (18.43 KiB) Viewed 505 times

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated!
briancar89
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Side by Side configuration error - FSX

Postby TextRich » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:11 am

Does this thread help? It is what I refer people to.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/1/2144217547141020915/
TextRich
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby briancar89 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:40 pm

Hi,

I did try what was on that page, however it didn't work. Would I have to remove the 2005 versions of C++ before attempting to reinstall them again? I'm afraid I'll mess up the computer if I do that, isn't that basically the code that runs the computer?
briancar89
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby TextRich » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:05 pm

briancar89 wrote:Hi,

I did try what was on that page, however it didn't work. Would I have to remove the 2005 versions of C++ before attempting to reinstall them again? I'm afraid I'll mess up the computer if I do that, isn't that basically the code that runs the computer?

No, those software is for software compatibility with Windows. It won't hurt Windows 10 itself.
TextRich
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby briancar89 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:37 pm

I gave that a try and reinstalled, no luck. Looks like I'll be bringing it over the "Geek Squad" tomorrow.
briancar89
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam