Planes appear smaller in FSX

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Planes appear smaller in FSX

Postby mrjccoley » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:14 pm

Well I took a break from FSX awhile ago and I recently came back into the flight sim community after a few years and after I heard about flight sim 2020. So I downloaded a few planes and noticed they were small! The exterior on the plane had to be zoomed in especially on the 737Max series of planes but the interior of the plane is fine, the cockpit looks and operates fine on all of my downloaded planes. Is it just me and my PC or am I missing something in the files?

Charles Coley
USMC Vet
NC
mrjccoley
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Planes appear smaller in FSX

Postby Hagar » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:49 am

This is a common problem with 3rd party aircraft in MSFS. It's never really bothered me but I found a little utility named RADitor which you can use to set the Radius value in the MDL file of individual aircraft. You can download it here --> https://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=RADItor

I tried it out on an Air Canada version of the TDS 737-Max 9 which originally appeared much too small in the FSX Free Flight aircraft selection preview window & Spot View.
I found that a smaller Radius value in the MDL file makes the aircraft appear bigger in the sim. After a little experimenting I changed the Radius value from 37.72659301757 to 23.72659301757 meters.

This is the result compared with the default 737-800. It looks about right to me.

Note: I think RADitor will only work with aircraft in the Native FSX format. There are similar utilities for FS9 models.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby mrjccoley » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:10 pm

That literally fixed it!!!! Thank you so so sooooo much.
mrjccoley
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:53 am

You're most welcome. 8-)

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam