Trouble with HJG Addins NOt Found

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Trouble with HJG Addins NOt Found

Postby Wrench589 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:24 pm

Hi,

I am new to this forum and new to adding planes to FSX. I tried my first from the HJC site and so far, cannot get FSX to find it I the list. I believe I have followed all the instructions correct:

- I extracted the base plane to the Airplane folder in FSX
- I deleted the "Aircraft.cmd" files and renamed the "Aircraft fsx.cmd" file
- I cut and pasted the texture add in from the file in the texture folder
- I copied the texture folder to the new airplane folder I added in FSX
- I added a "thumbnail.jgp" photo of the plane to the folder in FSX

I also noticed here were 2 model files in the zipped folder for the base plane, one named "model.early" and one named "model.early_S2HK". I deleted the second one and renamed the first simply "model" to match all the planes that came with FSX. Still nothing shows up in the list of planes in FSX.

Please help!! Thanks.

George
Wrench589
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Trouble with HJG Addins NOt Found

Postby Canuck1955 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:43 am

HJG forums are here - https://tonymadgehjg.proboards.com/

I blv you have to join up to post a Q but they are very friendly and helpful.

I blv also some of their models do not work in FSX. Primarily a FS9 group.
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:16 am

Wrench589 wrote:Hi,

I am new to this forum and new to adding planes to FSX. I tried my first from the HJC site and so far, cannot get FSX to find it I the list.

Hi George. The installation procedure for HJG aircraft is a little complicated, especially if you're not used to installing aircraft to FSX. It would help to know which one you're trying to install. Then I could download it & walk you through it. It's not difficult once you get used to it.

I believe I have followed all the instructions correct:

- I extracted the base plane to the Airplane folder in FSX
- I deleted the "Aircraft.cmd" files and renamed the "Aircraft fsx.cmd" file
- I cut and pasted the texture add in from the file in the texture folder
- I copied the texture folder to the new airplane folder I added in FSX
- I added a "thumbnail.jgp" photo of the plane to the folder in FSX

That sounds about right but I'm not familiar with the Aircraft.cmd files you mention. Did you mean Aircraft.cfg ?

I also noticed here were 2 model files in the zipped folder for the base plane, one named "model.early" and one named "model.early_S2HK". I deleted the second one and renamed the first simply "model" to match all the planes that came with FSX. Still nothing shows up in the list of planes in FSX.

Please help!! Thanks.

George

You should not have to rename any folders. There are presumably two different versions of the aircraft included. The folder name extensions are defined in the model= line in the Aircraft.cfg of the specific aircraft.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Wrench589 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:17 am

Canuck, thanks for the link. I tried to get to the HJG forum from the link on the site, but didn't work.

Hagar, thanks for the post. I'll try to answer some points:

- I'm trying to install the Boeing 707-138B Early V7, and the Pacific Western Airlines 1969 texture. I also tried the CP Air texture, same result.
- You are right, it was the .cfg file, not the .cmd file
- I tried the folder re-name as a last ditch effort to get it working, basically throwing darts in the dark!!

Thanks!
Wrench589
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:59 am

OK. I've downloaded the files & will report back later.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:13 pm

George. I've uploaded a walk-through for you to my Lair.

See if this helps. http://simviation.com//lair/HJG_FSX.html
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Wrench589 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:25 pm

Thanks, Hagar.

One new question - I followed the instructions on the HJG site to extract the plane zipfile to the Simobjects/Airplanes folder in FSX. There is a file in there called "B707-138B" which it says is an "Installer Package" file type. Is that the Air file that the FAQ is referring to? Do I need to run some kind of installer?? I double clicked it and get an error message that "The application could not be installed because the AIR file is damaged. Try obtaining a new Air file from the application author".
Wrench589
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:36 pm

Wrench589 wrote:Thanks, Hagar.

One new question - I followed the instructions on the HJG site to extract the plane zipfile to the Simobjects/Airplanes folder in FSX. There is a file in there called "B707-138B" which it says is an "Installer Package" file type. Is that the Air file that the FAQ is referring to? Do I need to run some kind of installer?? I double clicked it and get an error message that "The application could not be installed because the AIR file is damaged. Try obtaining a new Air file from the application author".

Ah, this is an old problem which I haven't seen mentioned for a while. Adobe used the .AIR file extension for one of their utilities which was included with Adobe Reader. All files with the .AIR extension become associated with it including the MSFS AIR files. The "installer Package" is indeed the AIR file & not an installer. There is no need to click on it.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Wrench589 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:47 pm

Interesting... When I check the file properties, it shows the type as "Installer Package (.air)" and that it opens with Adobe AIR Application". Do I need to change that Opens With assignment? Or does this have nothing to do with why I can't get the add-ins to work?
Wrench589
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Wrench589 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:48 pm

And BTW, I downloaded one of the DC-8-40 planes to try a different one and same issue.
Wrench589
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:01 pm

Wrench589 wrote:Interesting... When I check the file properties, it shows the type as "Installer Package (.air)" and that it opens with Adobe AIR Application". Do I need to change that Opens With assignment? Or does this have nothing to do with why I can't get the add-ins to work?

You can ignore it. The file is not affected in any way.

If I remember correctly you can safely uninstall Adobe AIR to permanently fix the problem.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam