Through the Glens and Mountains of Scotland

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Through the Glens and Mountains of Scotland

Postby alickwx » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:01 am

Like most sim enthusiasts, I am looking forward with much anticipation to the new Microsoft flight sim 2020. However, over the last 14 years or so I have dedicated many 100's of hours of time getting FSX to look as good as possible. I've come to realise that all that time and effort spent working on the SDK and sorting out the computer hardware and operating system will be lost when/if I change over.. So I have recently been creating some short videos to remind me of just how good FSX can be. Anyone else going to lament the loss of their old sim?

Here's one I've just finished:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIVy8nUWib0
alickwx
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Through the Glens and Mountains of Scotland

Postby ozrico » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:07 pm

That's a great video - I could almost smell the heather - feel like pouring myself a wee dram. I don't think I'll ever stop flying FSX, like you I've spent
a huge amount of time (& money!!) getting the sim how I want it. It's good to finally stop tweaking and just get on with enjoying the flying!! I've got a feeling that
MSFS2020 is such a game changer it'll make FSX look a bit old, though.
ozrico
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby alickwx » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:05 pm

Thanks ozrico,
I suspect that owing to the current situation happening all round the world, that we may all have to stick with our current sims for some time to come...
Got to say that for me a lot of the enjoyment has been using the SDK. I think I have spent many more hours using the SDK than I have spent flying over the years -
(until I started making video’s anyway.) I just hope the new 2020 sim will allow us users as much access to improve it as FSX does.
Yeah, maybe there is life in the old dog yet!
alickwx
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Flacke » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:09 pm

Hi, I too have my FSX Steam edition sim looking and flying superbly. I use ORBX Scenery to make it look realistic and detailed. I enjoy many hours touring the world in flight while learning to fly new aircraft types and learning new systems such as Garmin 1000. I am not sitting here wanting to dump everything the moment FS2020 arrives. I will have to actually FLY it and see if it flies as good as they say it does. I will also test the Weather and Scenery myself to see if its as good as what we see on YouTube.
If it passes my personal tests I will wait a while to let them de-bug it and then buy it.
In the meantime I will continue to fly my bright , beautiful sunny trips and my gloomy IFR trips in FSX Steam. I really do hope that FS2020 is a winner as that is good for the entire Flight-Simming community.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby alickwx » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:58 am

Hi Flacke,
Some good logical thinking there!
I find with FSX that I have to choose between a ‘cpu light’ aircraft and good visuals, or a ‘cpu heavy’ aircraft and lower frame rates with poorer visuals which is a little frustrating.
fs2020 promises both, presumably because it will use all cpu cores available rather than the 1 (well,2 actually) that FSX uses. I like the eye candy, but have spent many hours learning to use the G1000 too.
You have got me thinking about getting the Cessna Citation (with fully functional glass G1000 cockpit) back out however. Think I get around 20 frames a second with that one with the photo scenery!
alickwx
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Flacke » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:58 am

Hello again. I wish I had that Citation and a real-life one too, great airplane that does a lot of things well.
Regarding frames, I get superb performance in FSX-steam on my obsolete computer [ i5, 8gb Ram, GTX950].
I always ensure that my computer is clean and clear of any clutter and that there are no registry issues etc. Then before I start FSX I turn off anything that is unessential and running in the background . I want my CPU and RAM etc to be working on running FSX only! This all works very well for me. While waiting for FS2020 I will happily fly the hell out of what I 've got .Enjoy your Citation.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby alickwx » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:22 pm

Hi Flacke,
The Cessna Citation Mustang is indeed a superb add on aircraft. Highly recommended. You can actually use the real world Garmin g1000 user manual to learn how to use it! (I did) It even does WAAS instrument approaches if you are in the US. Excellent stuff!
I think you have an advantage with FSX SE over my vanilla FSX. It takes a long time to set up both the computer and then the sim - as you know, so I’m not changing until I absolutely have to.
Having said that, the Cessna gives good frame rates for me out with the photo scenery areas - I use GEX elsewhere - not quite as good as OrbX, but not too bad either.
Guess the frame rates don’t matter too much when you are IFR in the fog anyway...
alickwx
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby alickwx » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:05 pm

Aforementioned Cessna Citation Mustang on approach to Inverness airport EGPE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vpXNiHj1S0

Despite the low frame rates, it is actually very usable. Think I’m going to have to learn how to use that g1000 all over again though...
alickwx
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Flacke » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:47 pm

I have been inside the RL Mustang and it reminded me of a Baron with 2 jet engines. It would be just right for my Wife and I on our usual missions.
I find that if I don't fly the G1000 system for a while I have to re-learn a few things. Glass panels are wonderful as long as you use and practice them regularly, especially IFR approaches etc. Its all fun to me so I don't rush things.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby alickwx » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:18 pm

Really nice hardly used one for sale here:
https://www.controller.com/listings/air ... itation-m2
You would need deep pockets though and expect 500k+ annual running costs...
It’s actually the m2 which replaced the mustang, so probably better.
I’d make do with just a trip in a real one!
alickwx
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Flacke » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:11 am

alickwx wrote:Really nice hardly used one for sale here:
https://www.controller.com/listings/air ... itation-m2
You would need deep pockets though and expect 500k+ annual running costs...
It’s actually the m2 which replaced the mustang, so probably better.
I’d make do with just a trip in a real one!

The M2 in the ADV is terrific and at a great price. The M2 Mustang is a vastly more capable aircraft and it has a lavatory which my Jet-owner friends consider essential in their airplanes. [ so do I] I wish somebody offered a high quality M2 for our sims, I would buy it in a flash. If money were no object I would zip over to Mississauga and check out the M2 in the adv, its perfect.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam