Wasted Tweakend

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Wasted Tweakend

Postby ozrico » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:47 pm

I was using FSX-SE and flying a smooth limited 25fps with refresh rate 50Hz at ½ refresh rate NVInspector with no alterations to the .cfg for months, then suddenly the stutters hit with a slide show of 16fps – WTF!!!. I couldn't find a reason for this maybe it was the full moon, maybe the FS Gods were displeased at my ineptitude.
So for the past couple of weekends I've been trying all the old tweaks I used when I had the boxed set. Buffer pools =no dice; highmemfix=sorry; affinity mask=forget it; FFTF=you must be joking; lowering settings=you get the picture. Now my system's no slouch i-7, GTX1080 48GB RAM etc, but FFS I should be getting better than this. I even decided that continuing to run FSX was flogging a dead horse, and that basically what my system was saying to me was “what the hell are you trying to make me do trying to run this ancient piece of crap”. So I uninstalled FSX resolving to just fly DCS & XP11 instead – only lasted until the next day when I thought I'd try a vanilla install as a last ditch attempt!! Did it make any difference to the slide show – did it heck!!!
Anyway, long story short, I fixed it, and I want to share my findings with the community as they're not something I've heard before on any of the forums. Of course, everyone's rig is different & I'm not suggesting this is any sort of magical tweak, but it worked for me.
Actually I stumbled on it by accident trying out different settings in scenery. FSX was set up as above (monitor refresh rate 50Hz at ½ refresh rate NVIns with no alterations to the .cfg), but with target frame rate set at unlimited, and it just so happened the frame rate I was achieving by altering the settings was averaging 25fps, which by pure coincidence was ½ the refresh rate. Everything was smooth as silk.
I also tried some things to bump up my frame rate off one of the forums. In properties tab of the FSX .exe I ticked 'disable full screen optimizations' then clicked 'Change high DPI settings' to switch 'scaling for apps' off. The frame rate shot up (especially in windowed fsx), but the stutters remained. After much tweaking it happened again – Monitor at 144HZ messing with different combinations in scenery etc with frame rate set at unlimited & ½ refresh rate NVInspector – when the settings reduced the FPS to around 70 the game started running as smooth as silk.
I just want to put this out there in case it helps some of you with stuttering. Its going to depend on your rig of course, but it may save some time for some of you suffering from the dreaded stutters like I was.
ozrico
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Wasted Tweakend

Postby garymbuska » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:58 am

ozrico wrote:I was using FSX-SE and flying a smooth limited 25fps with refresh rate 50Hz at ½ refresh rate NVInspector with no alterations to the .cfg for months, then suddenly the stutters hit with a slide show of 16fps – WTF!!!. I couldn't find a reason for this maybe it was the full moon, maybe the FS Gods were displeased at my ineptitude.
So for the past couple of weekends I've been trying all the old tweaks I used when I had the boxed set. Buffer pools =no dice; highmemfix=sorry; affinity mask=forget it; FFTF=you must be joking; lowering settings=you get the picture. Now my system's no slouch i-7, GTX1080 48GB RAM etc, but FFS I should be getting better than this. I even decided that continuing to run FSX was flogging a dead horse, and that basically what my system was saying to me was “what the hell are you trying to make me do trying to run this ancient piece of crap”. So I uninstalled FSX resolving to just fly DCS & XP11 instead – only lasted until the next day when I thought I'd try a vanilla install as a last ditch attempt!! Did it make any difference to the slide show – did it heck!!!
Anyway, long story short, I fixed it, and I want to share my findings with the community as they're not something I've heard before on any of the forums. Of course, everyone's rig is different & I'm not suggesting this is any sort of magical tweak, but it worked for me.
Actually I stumbled on it by accident trying out different settings in scenery. FSX was set up as above (monitor refresh rate 50Hz at ½ refresh rate NVIns with no alterations to the .cfg), but with target frame rate set at unlimited, and it just so happened the frame rate I was achieving by altering the settings was averaging 25fps, which by pure coincidence was ½ the refresh rate. Everything was smooth as silk.
I also tried some things to bump up my frame rate off one of the forums. In properties tab of the FSX .exe I ticked 'disable full screen optimizations' then clicked 'Change high DPI settings' to switch 'scaling for apps' off. The frame rate shot up (especially in windowed fsx), but the stutters remained. After much tweaking it happened again – Monitor at 144HZ messing with different combinations in scenery etc with frame rate set at unlimited & ½ refresh rate NVInspector – when the settings reduced the FPS to around 70 the game started running as smooth as silk.
I just want to put this out there in case it helps some of you with stuttering. Its going to depend on your rig of course, but it may save some time for some of you suffering from the dreaded stutters like I was.

Let me start out by saying what I am about to tell you may be out in left field and may not apply at all but it is something that I have seen happen in the last few weeks.
If you are like myself and others you keep your system up to date by applying updates to Windows 10. In the past weeks there have been several changes to Windows One such update created all kinds of problem for me by removing files form my FSX steam folder right after the up date I went to fly a flight and got the dreaded message that the default file I used was corrupt and the built in default flight would load instead .
Now that threw me for a loop. So I went to check out the aircraft I used for my default flight and was surprised to discover that the Aircraft.cfg file was no longer there which needless to say there has to be one for the aircraft to load.
I said WTF now. Luckily for me I keep a back up handy but then I discovered that this was not the only file that was missing it took me several hours restoring files that had been removed by the UPDATE and the craziest thing about all of this was none of these files were on my C drive so why they were removed stills remains a mystery to me no one has come up with a answer that makes any sense
A few days later Microsoft released a patch to fix the last update as there was some unexpected problems with it . I said really I would never had guessed :naughty:
I do know that a lot of driver changes were made and that could have cause your problem. But who really knows for sure. Not me that's for sure.
It just goes to say just when you think every thing is all right something or someone throws you a sinker ball that you completely miss <<v
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Re: Wasted Tweakend

Postby ozrico » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:18 pm

mmmm....then - if that's true - maybe me thinking “what the hell are you trying to make me do trying to run this ancient piece of crap” was what MS wanted me to think, or more to the point “what the hell are you trying to make me do trying to run this ancient piece of crap and wait for the new FS2020”. Is that too paranoid?!!! I got trust issues with MS, I used to love Christian Buchners Tile Proxy, but it's now impossible to run on W10. Tile Proxy used to stream Bing tile maps on to your FSX world. Now wait a minute, isn't that the basic premise basic premise behind the new FS2020?
ozrico
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam