Side by side configuation error

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Side by side configuation error

Postby meesh42 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:20 pm

Back again

Having another issue, this time the world of google has been no help. I run the steam edition of FSX and today I got this message:

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuation is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail (0x36B1)

whose had this error, and could anyone shed any light on where to start looking?
meesh42
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Side by side configuation error

Postby Sprocket » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:53 am

meesh42 wrote:Back again

Having another issue, this time the world of google has been no help. I run the steam edition of FSX and today I got this message:

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuation is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail (0x36B1)

whose had this error, and could anyone shed any light on where to start looking?

Had a look at this out of interest. What I found is:

1. The error code 0x36B1 is not unique or specific to FSX-SE, but instead is a "steam" error. Other steam games, such as Warhammer, reports the same error.

2. It seems to be a problem with one of the "redistributable" dependencies, specifically 2005. Not all redistributables are "cumulative", meaning new updated redistributables do NOT ALWAYS incorporate the "previous" version.
(Even though you may have the latest redistributable installed, you still (also) need 2005. Hence the "side by side" message.)

3. I cannot find any "quick" solutions to the fix the problem. But I would suggest the following:
Follow the path as in the red oval. Your installation path may differ, but main thing is to get to "steamapps > common>FSX >_CommonRedist > vcredist > 2005.

4. Then, run those two exe's, so as to do a re-install, with the hope that a "re-install" may do the trick. (Otherwise download 2005 from MS website)

Hope this helps or at least points you in right direction.

Jan
Sprocket
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam