A challenge

FSX including FSX Steam version.

A challenge

Postby garymbuska » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:13 am

A few days ago I ran across a video of what was called a dangerous approach so I checked it out. The video was about a flight that was going to Ktex (Telluride Colorado) the video never showed the aircraft that was being flown but judging by the view through the cockpit it was a single engine Propeller driven aircraft. It used a joystick instead of a yoke.
By the way this was a real pilot in a real aircraft. Of course I had to check this out so I looked up the airport in AIRNAV and this is what I found the airport is only 7,111 ft long and a 100 ft wide there is no ILS approach and there is no control tower. With no ILS runway all approaches are visual only. What makes this airport dangerous is the fact that it is located in a box canyon with 16 to 17,000 foot mountains all around it. So being brave I flew a flight from KABQ to KTEX using the default CRJ It had me make a left runway approach as I got closer I discovered that you could not see the runway until you were just about ready to turn to base you have to make a 45 degree bank to the left in this case
Once I turned to final I was able to see the runway clearly so I use full flaps and slowed down to about 130 knots I armed the speed brakes and touched down right at the threshold and stopped with about 150 ft or so of runway left
As i taxied to general aviation parking I came across a DASH 8 that was heading for the active runway and noticed another DASH 8 parked at the general aviation ramp. This tells me that this runway was designed for that kind of aircraft. For me this was a piece of cake but I had to admit I felt like I did not belong here.
Others might find this a challenge so I thought I would mention it.
But if you can land a B747 on a runway that is not designed for it than this will be easy.
The runway I am talking about is the famous airport at Princes Juliane airport. If you check out this airport you will discover that the runway is not long enough for this aircraft so how do they land it here.
You have to come in slow and low you have to make your approach using full flaps and a speed just above stall and I for got to mention you have to hit the threshold right on the money or you will run out of runway.
The first time I tried this I wound up in the ocean but absolutely nailed it the second time I managed to clear the fence and put down right on the thresh hold and stopped with about 50 ft or so of runway left.
Of course this being FSX you will not see all of the crazy people that are on the beach at the end of the runway.
You should check out the videos of real world aircraft landing at this airport. But I must caution you make sure no young ones are around as like me you just might see a topless woman walk by and it is a full frontal view. So any one not wanting to see a half naked woman don't watch the videos. Mind you not all videos will have a topless woman in them.
It takes nerves of steal to make this landing.
Of course taking off form this airport is a challenge as well as there is a mountain at the end of the runway and there is no telling how many sunbathers your jet blast might injure as in the real world this is a common occurrence
But people flock to this place like crazy they hold on to the fence and the jet blast makes them go vertical .
What people will do for fun.
8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Re: A challenge

Postby Daube » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:37 am

The Princess Juliana airport is not so challenging in fact. The runway is quite long enough, and the airport is at sea level, then the air is quite dense, and the aicraft can fly more easilly at low speeds for approach.

However, after reading your initial text about KTEX, I realized I never flew there so I wanted to give it a try.
I tried it in XPlane, with the default scenery and the default 747.
I set the plane in the air a few miles away, emptied the internal fuel tanks down to 40 minutes of flight left, no passengers I think (I didn't check).
Full flaps, approach at 140 knots more or less.
The airport is at 9000 feet altitude, so the plane is anything but nimble :/
The runway is short indeed, and isn't flat too, but the default scenery around is quite enjoyable.
I set the autobrakes to maximum, then proceeded to my first try.... and succeeded :)
The plane stopped at half runway.

Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby garymbuska » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:29 am

I found this information
this is the info on the runway at Princes Juliana airport
The airport has a single runway numbered 10/28, measuring 7,546 ft x 148 ft (2,300 m x 45 m).
Below is what I found after googling how much runway a B747 needed

The FAA/EASA Minimum runway length requirements for MLW landings are 7,500ft (~2,300m) for the 747-8F, and 6,750ft (~2,000m) for the 747-8i. However, the landing distance (at sea level) is far less, at about 5,500ft and 4,750 ft.

I had watched a video and that was wear I herd that the runway was not long enough I should have known better and checked it out first
But as you can see there is not a whole lot of room for error
7,500ft is at max landing weight and that is for the B747-8F

What i do not know is if the runway is considered at sea level if so than there is more than enough room :oops:
But in either case it was a challenge
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby garymbuska » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:35 am

Daube wrote:The Princess Juliana airport is not so challenging in fact. The runway is quite long enough, and the airport is at sea level, then the air is quite dense, and the aicraft can fly more easilly at low speeds for approach.

However, after reading your initial text about KTEX, I realized I never flew there so I wanted to give it a try.
I tried it in XPlane, with the default scenery and the default 747.
I set the plane in the air a few miles away, emptied the internal fuel tanks down to 40 minutes of flight left, no passengers I think (I didn't check).
Full flaps, approach at 140 knots more or less.
The airport is at 9000 feet altitude, so the plane is anything but nimble :/
The runway is short indeed, and isn't flat too, but the default scenery around is quite enjoyable.
I set the autobrakes to maximum, then proceeded to my first try.... and succeeded :)
The plane stopped at half runway.

Now that is what I call gutsy Landing a B747 on a runway meant for smaller aircraft and I thought I was out of place in my CRJ I can only image what people would think seeing a B747 there
That might want to lock you up in the loony bin :naughty:
The default scenery in FSX STEAM is about the same 8-)
Gary M Buska
garymbuska
Major
Major

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam