SceneryConfigEditor v1.1.9 problem

FSX including FSX Steam version.

SceneryConfigEditor v1.1.9 problem

Postby KBBROGY » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:47 am

After reinstalling FSX Steam, my SceneryConfigEditor v1.1.9 program doesn't work anymore.
I can make changes to the scenery list but when I close the program and choose to save the changes, nothing changes.
What could be the problem ?
KBBROGY
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: SceneryConfigEditor v1.1.9 problem

Postby garymbuska » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:54 am

KBBROGY wrote:After reinstalling FSX Steam, my SceneryConfigEditor v1.1.9 program doesn't work anymore.
I can make changes to the scenery list but when I close the program and choose to save the changes, nothing changes.
What could be the problem ?

The only thing I can think of is the scenery.cfg file is a read only file try opening the file using Notepad then check out the properties and see if the Read Only box is checked. That would cause something like this.
Of course the million dollar question is how did it come a read only file. One way would be to use the SAVEAS method and click the box that says readonly.
By any chance did you just install a Windows 10 update?
I had all kinds of strange little problems after the last Windows update. Updates are not KEY word NOT supposed to change any files but in my case it changed at least two different files on my system.
It managed to somehow delete the aircraft cfg file from my aircraft that I use for my default flight and altered a Panel cfg file as well causing all kinds of wired panels to be display a SIZE statement had been removed.
Right after the update I went to fly a flight and when I started FSX steam I got an error message saying that the default flight could not be loaded. You can imagine my surprise. So i shut FSX down and proceeded to find out what had happened and when I opened the folder for that aircraft I noticed that the aircraft cfg file was no longer there and with out that file the plane will not load.
And than a payware CRJ-900 had some real strange issues none of the gauges would fit in any of the windows.
After comparing the panel cfg file of the CRJ-700 that was part of the same install I discovered that a Size statement in the panel cfg file was missing.
You do know that with FSX steam you do not have to uninstall and reinstall it all you have to do is to verify the contents of the file if anything is missing or incorrect it will redownload and fix the errors.
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby KBBROGY » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:23 am

Gary, thank you for your advice. All the boxes of the scenery.cfg file are unchecked.
I can change the scenery.cfg file with the scenery library in FSX.
The problem started indeed after the installation of the Windows 10 update.
KBBROGY
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby garymbuska » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:27 am

I would uninstall the editor then make sure there are no left over folders any where then reinstall it
I think what has happened is it has lost it's association with the scenery cfg file which would explain why it does not change it.
Any time you install a program that is designed to work and edit a particular file it has to make an association with it those entries are part of the registry and it sounds like the update has changed some of your registry entries.
But unless you know exactly what you are doing I would not alter the registry in any way as one mistake could turn your system into a big paper weight. In other words you would have to reinstall windows 10 and trust me you do not want to do that .
You got to love Microsoft leave it to them to mess everything up.
I plan on making a backup before I install any update that way i can go back to where it was before the update.
Of course you can uninstall the update but that might cause more problems than what it is worth because you do not know what the update was supposed to update and it is not wise not to install updates as you might not have a driver that is needed to run a program or you might not have a service that was updated .
8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby KBBROGY » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:04 am

Executing the program as Administrator solves the problem
KBBROGY
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby garymbuska » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:58 pm

I am glad to see you got it working.
But why in the world does it make you do this now and not before.
Something changed that's for sure.
If this program is installed in the program Files(86) area that might explain it.
By default any program that is not a 64 bit program will install in this area and some third party programs require you to use ADMINISTRATOR rights to run them.
I usually install my programs in other areas or on a separate hard drive just for this reason.
Microsoft treats programs in that area as system files and some third party programs will not function correctly because of this.
I have FSX on my B drive and FS9 is on my D drive. Of course not everyone can add extra hard drives in there systems as there is no place for them.
Gary M Buska
garymbuska
Major
Major

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam