Need help in loading scenery

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Need help in loading scenery

Postby Gringo6 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:22 pm

I know just about every body is tired of me asking,. but it's all I know to do.

I cannot get scenery to install properly ( i.e. run properly) . I've read every post
I can find and tried all but without success. I'm sure M/S no longer supports FSX
or Win8.1 because they seem dis-interested at best.

Is there some basic incompatability with FSX+Acceleration and Windows 8.1 ?

At one time Hovercontrol posted a step-by-step way to install scenery but even
that doesn't work.

If anybody can help me get it done I'd appreciate it.
Gringo6
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Need help in loading scenery

Postby garymbuska » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:05 pm

There is a procedure you have to go through
The first thing you have to decide is where do you want to put the new scenery. Most people put addon scenery in the addon scenery folder inside another with a unique name like LOS ANGLES if the scenery is for the LOS ANGLES area.
You need to make a folder inside of the ADD ON SCENERY area we will call it LOSANGLES then inside if that folder you need to make two other folders one called scenery and the other called textures. Though in most cases you do not need the texture folder as there are no textures for that scenery. Than add the .BGL files to the scenery folder .
once you have finished adding the files crank up FSX and go to the add scenery section than click on it. Find the scenery you just added and select it YOU HAVE TO SELECT ON THE FILE THAT HAS THE .BGL FILES IN IT then click add.

The easiest way to do this is to just put the bgl file inside of an existing folder and inside of the scenery folder than when you fire up FSX it will add the new files without doing anything else. <<r
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby garymbuska » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:12 pm

Gringo6 wrote:I know just about every body is tired of me asking,. but it's all I know to do.

I cannot get scenery to install properly ( i.e. run properly) . I've read every post
I can find and tried all but without success. I'm sure M/S no longer supports FSX
or Win8.1 because they seem dis-interested at best.

Is there some basic incompatability with FSX+Acceleration and Windows 8.1 ?

At one time Hovercontrol posted a step-by-step way to install scenery but even
that doesn't work.

If anybody can help me get it done I'd appreciate it.

I originally started my system using windows 8.1 and FSX worked great
but a word to the wise you need to update to WINDOWS 10 because software you down load today will not run on windows 8.1 It is just a matter of time that your system will no longer work.
You will be unable to load any new software because you will not have the correct drivers to run it.
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:09 pm

There's nothing wrong with Windows 8.1. A lot of people happily run FSX on Windows 7.

Gringo. If you've read all the usual scenery installation tutes & instructions I won't bother repeating them here.
I suspect that you're missing one important step which is necessary when activating scenery in Windows versions from Win7 thru Win10.

To activate a new scenery area; first select the newly installed scenery folder from the Add Area button in the FSX Scenery Library. That's the LFHC folder in this example.

click OK & it will open like this.

Now for the important step. Click anywhere in the white space in the above shot & the new area should now appear on the top of the scenery list.

The new area is now installed & activated. Click OK to finish the process. Hope this helps.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam