Short on Panel Windows

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Short on Panel Windows

Postby Hawkeye07 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:10 am

Here's a new one, at least for me it is. Recently I noticed that when I try to use the higher numbered panel windows they don't appear.

SHIFT + 1 thru SHIFT + 4 work fine but SHIFT + 5 thru SHIFT + 9 don't work at all. I've checked the Settings/Controls and I even redid the assignments

( just deleting them and reassigning them to the same keys). No joy at all. Does anyone have any ideas?

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Re: Short on Panel Windows

Postby garymbuska » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:34 am

Hawkeye07 wrote:Here's a new one, at least for me it is. Recently I noticed that when I try to use the higher numbered panel windows they don't appear.

SHIFT + 1 thru SHIFT + 4 work fine but SHIFT + 5 thru SHIFT + 9 don't work at all. I've checked the Settings/Controls and I even redid the assignments

( just deleting them and reassigning them to the same keys). No joy at all. Does anyone have any ideas?

If you are talking about what I think you are the number of panels that display depends on each aircraft and how many different windows it has in the panel cfg file
below is from the default King air

[Window Titles]
window00=Main Panel
window01=Radio Stack
Window02=GPS
window03=Throttle Quadrant
window04=Caution Annunciator
window05=Warning Annunciator
window06=Compass
window07=Trim
window08=Fuel
Window09=IFR Panel
Window10=Mini Panel
so shift +2 will display the Radio Panel
This panel has 11 windows

and this one is from a PMDG B737-800 Payware aircraft
the panel below has 20 windows

[Window Titles]
window00=Main Panel
window01=Lower Main
window02=CDU (Left)
window03=Aft Electronic Panel
window04=Fire Protection
window05=Forward Overhead
window06=Aft Overhead
window07=Overhead Lights
window08=Lower DU
window09=MCP (full)
window10=Radios
window11=Zoomed Left Outboard DU
window12=Zoomed Left Inboard DU
window13=Zoomed Upper DU
window14=Zoomed Lower DU
window15=Zoomed Right Inboard DU
window16=Zoomed Right Outboard DU
window17=CDU (Right)
window18=Minipanel
window19=Light Sensor

As you can see there are more windows than there are shift keys there is no shift +19
on aircraft like this you have to use the view option at the top and select instrument panel than the panel you want to look at
8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Hawkeye07 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:09 pm

Hi Gary
No, I'm talking about just these:

[Window Titles]
window00=Main Panel
window01=Lower Main
window02=CDU (Left)
window04=Fire Protection
window06=Aft Overhead
window07=Overhead Lights
window08=Lower DU

I'm aware that these are the only windows you get by hitting SHIFT + (your number selection here). The problem being that now on my system only 00 thru 04 work no matter which aircraft I have selected.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby garymbuska » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:05 am

Hawkeye07 wrote:Hi Gary
No, I'm talking about just these:

[Window Titles]
window00=Main Panel
window01=Lower Main
window02=CDU (Left)
window04=Fire Protection
window06=Aft Overhead
window07=Overhead Lights
window08=Lower DU

I'm aware that these are the only windows you get by hitting SHIFT + (your number selection here). The problem being that now on my system only 00 thru 04 work no matter which aircraft I have selected.

That is odd to say the least. I have not seen or heard of that
What are your system specs. Sounds like something not set up correctly but I have no idea as to what
Now this may sound strange but are you sure your keyboard is working like it should one way to test it would be to open NOTES and try every single key and make sure it is correct
Example shift+5 through shift + 9 should display the following % ^ & * (
I know that sounds crazy but keyboards do go bad.
let us know what you find.
8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Hawkeye07 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:02 am

This is the same computer and FSX setup that I've been using for four or five years with little problem. I thought about the keyboard going belly up too but I checked it out and it's fine.

I also thought about recent additions possibly affecting it but I have installed very little and I removed it all and still no joy.

I don't want to do anything drastic like a reinstall because I'm really curious about what caused this dilemma.

I've never heard of this happening to anyone before and my curiosity is really spooled up. If I discover the cause I'll post it on this thread.

Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby garymbuska » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:35 am

Hawkeye07 wrote:This is the same computer and FSX setup that I've been using for four or five years with little problem. I thought about the keyboard going belly up too but I checked it out and it's fine.

I also thought about recent additions possibly affecting it but I have installed very little and I removed it all and still no joy.

I don't want to do anything drastic like a reinstall because I'm really curious about what caused this dilemma.

I've never heard of this happening to anyone before and my curiosity is really spooled up. If I discover the cause I'll post it on this thread.

One other option would be to restore your system back to a date when it was working. The bad thing about doing this is you will loose any thing you added beyond that date. But it does beat a reinstall
Like yourself I have not heard of anything that might cause this.
But it has to be something that FSX is doing and it is causing this issue
The Shift + keys should work no matter what view you are in as I usually will display the GPS map while in spot view
One other thought where is FSX installed on your system. I have FSX installed on my B drive and FS2009 on my D drive
By default Windows 10 will place it in the C drive under Program Files (86) and it should not be there as things do not always work like they should.
I know you can turn down your User active control but to me i just put it someplace else.
I had a screen saver program that was installed on the C drive in Program files (86) folder and i kept having to enter the key for it every time it ran
I uninstalled it and reinstalled it else where on the C drive and it works like it should.
Crazy I know but it is little things like this that drives one nuts. 8-)
Gary M Buska
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby junglejim7 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:50 pm

Just a quick note, something about the same happened to me recently, did you checkyour FSX / FSX-SE Appdata Roaming area by chance ? Most script calls boot into fsx etc., via this area.
I've found many errors in the following files;
fsx.CFG
dll.xml
exe.xml

they live here depending on your install location, EXAMPLE; c:\users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE (or / FSX), you will see a list of those 3 files, check them.
IMPORTANT, before changing anything, backup those files for sure, or your FSX will NOT BOOT!. Hope this helps you.
Jim L.
:?:
junglejim7
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam