Windows 10

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Windows 10

Postby big daddy dog47 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:20 am

Hey all how do I get fsx 10 and the add on accelerator to work in windows 10? I bought the sim years ago and when ms changed to w 10 I quit using it. I never lost interest in fsx, but I miss it so very bad. I want to start flying again!!! Please help!!! Thanks, Doug.
big daddy dog47
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Windows 10

Postby SpaceHippy1975 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:46 am

Hi & welcome!

FSX + Acceleration that you mentioned is quite old now (very old!)

The best way really to proceed is to purchase the Steam version of FSX which is pretty much kept up to date & will work well with windows 10. It's also on sale now on Steam for £7.99 (not sure how much it is in US dollars - I know it has been cheaper at other times)

Perhaps the others here may be able to help more if you wished to stick with the version you currently have.

Keith.
Flying: MSFS 2020 & P3D v5 ~ Given up on X-Plane 11
My Rig:
Intel Core i7 - 6700K CPU @ 4.5GHz,
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero Z170 Motherboard,
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 GAMING 11GB GPU,
Patriot Viper 32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM,
Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ Monitor,
Bose Companion 2 Series III Speakers,
Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S & CH Rudder Pedals.
SpaceHippy1975
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Canuck1955 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:28 pm

The above is probably the best advice, get it from Steam as there are a umber of improvements. They have frequent sales, I picked my copy up for about $5.00 several years ago.
FSX Accel CAN be installed and working in W10 but it takes ages and enormous patience. A search of Avsim or FlightSim.com and possibly SOH will reveal the tricks to install it properly.
Otherwise just get P3D now at version 4.3.
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby B0ikat » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:31 pm

I installed FSX/Acceleration of my win10 laptop, no problems, and it works just fine. The *only* glitch I have is that at some point a windows update decided that FSRecorder was a no-go.
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby ftldave » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:37 pm

Better to Google for an answer since most of the replies here are "use a different simulator", including the one that isn't for hobbyist-recreational use.

Here's a video that may help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgikhlaviZw

Installer needs to be run AS ADMINISTRATOR, and FSX installed into a directory outside the default c:\program files (x86) else you'll have endless problems.
ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:39 am

big daddy dog47 wrote:Hey all how do I get fsx 10 and the add on accelerator to work in windows 10? I bought the sim years ago and when ms changed to w 10 I quit using it. I never lost interest in fsx, but I miss it so very bad. I want to start flying again!!! Please help!!! Thanks, Doug.

For starters the only version of FSX that will install on Windows 10 is FSX GOLD which has Acceleration as well. This is what you want to do
Install FSX any where EXCEPT in the default location as that can give you problems. Now I know that there are people that have it installed in the default location and have no problems but doing that involves turning down your permissions which I prefer not to do.
Once you have FSX installed you need to run it at least once before proceeding
After running FSX install ACCELERATION any place except the default location
Here is where the trouble could start
after ACCELERATION INSTALLS IT SHOULD ALLOW YOU TO REGISTER IT
If it does not you have to edit the registry in order to get it to allow you to register it

below is the procedure you will need if ACCELERATION will not register

1. run regedit (Windowskey +R)
2. Expand the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTRO L\CLASS\{4D36E967-
E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
3. After you find the folder, double-click Upperfilters on the right side.
4. Change the value from 0 to PartMgr and/or remove any other settings and then click OK.
5. Close Registry Editor
6. Start FSX/Accel and you should get the registration wizard.

do not be surprised if you find PARTMGR already there but notice the upper and lower case letters it has to be PartMgr
when I did this I got an error saying that there can be no spaces behind PartMgr. I ignored this because I had not put any spaces. Which makes me think that was the problem to start with spaces after PartMgr
after closing the editor I fired up FSX and the activation screen popped right up .
:clap: :dance:
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam