A REQUEST/SUGGESTION TO FSX AIRCRAFT CONTRIBUTORS

FSX including FSX Steam version.

A REQUEST/SUGGESTION TO FSX AIRCRAFT CONTRIBUTORS

Postby papituwall » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:04 pm

First of all I'd like to thank all contributors for their work.

The FSX native aircraft have two separate models: interior and exterior. Many of them work in P3D V4

The aircraft ported from FS9 have only one model and the conversion is related to textures and/or gauges. They are not working in P3D 64bit.

My request/suggestion is to add the words "FSX NATIVE" or "PORTOVER" (or FSX NON NATIVE) to clarify the the kind of aircraft that appear as "FSX". This will help to P3D V4 users.

For instance, at present time there are two nice packs of textures and improvements of an aircraft in particular, Pack 1 is made for a portover from an author but Pack2 is for a FSX native of the same aircraft from another author. Of course both are good for FSX, but the portover can not be used in P3D V4.

Many thanks.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Re: A REQUEST/SUGGESTION TO FSX AIRCRAFT CONTRIBUTORS

Postby pete » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:36 pm

It would be good if you could be precise about an example?
As you know before P3Dv4 came out there were 1000's of files that were not an issue and since then almost all uploads describe compatibility. It's easy to know in any case - look at the 'mdl' filer and see 1st line to see if it's 'x' or '8'
I always try to make sure this is clear in the description before approval.

To know if a model is FSX native open the .mdl file (in the Model folder) with notepad

1st line you will see either:

MDLXMDLH = FSX native

or

MDL8MDLH = FS2004 model (which can work in FSX versions and up to P3Dv3.*)

Thanks
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby papituwall » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:38 am

Many thanks Pete, the issue is that you can not see the model/s till you have downloaded the file. Hence my suggestion.

The example is:

Pack1 (portover): https://simviation.com/1/search?submit= ... &x=13&y=11

Pack2 (native): https://simviation.com/1/search?submit= ... p&x=18&y=9

Best regards,
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby pete » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:49 am

I would say reasonably confidently that if our description does not say 'fsx native' or 'p3dv4' that it is probably not FSX native.

Your 2nd example is textures only and links to an external site for required base file (so it was not uploaded to Simv) and I have now added a note that the required file is FSX native.

You will find that the vast majority of FSX native files here at this site (I would guess over 95%) are described as such.

Thanks for the feedback 8-)
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby yiannis » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:04 am

Since we are talking about my uploads I would just like to add that I am not a P3/4D user so I never mentioned the (native or not) not because of negligence but I can not be certain I am writing the correct info unless I tested the files in P3/4D. I always define in my files that they are FSX tested only. Thanks for the suggestions but it looks like I am gonna have to install P3D/4 to test my uploads because I cant just indicate a file just by looking at the model (if it has an interior separate model or not) and uploaded without testing it in P3D/4D...Any other ideas ? Unless I did not get this correctly. I am open to suggestions.
yiannis
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby pete » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:01 am

Hi Yiannis - thanks for your great contributions!

If anything is FSX native it can work in P3D v4 -. If it is not FSX native but if it works ok in FSX it will probably work OK in P3D up to v3.*

There is no need for you to get P3D but if a file IS FSX native you can mention that (you can see by looking at the .mdl file as mentioned above). There is no need for contributors to test in various sims because of what I have said above -- I will always try to add it in the description if not already mentioned.

Thank you again Yiannis and keep up the great work!! :clap: :clap:
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby papituwall » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:07 am

Many thanks Pete and Yiannis.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby yiannis » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:31 pm

Roger that Pete ..... I hope I will not create more confusion... I will try to separate the chickens and the roosters ...will see
yiannis
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Cusance » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:58 pm

why make it complicated. if you have only tested in FSX just say so, only tested in FSX.
The downloader then knows exactly what you are offering and knows he or she may have to do some more testing.
You cant cover all bases with these voluntary uploads. I think it is reasonable that the downloader does some testing.
Cusance
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby ftldave » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:21 pm

Cusance wrote:why make it complicated. if you have only tested in FSX just say so, only tested in FSX.
The downloader then knows exactly what you are offering and knows he or she may have to do some more testing.
You cant cover all bases with these voluntary uploads. I think it is reasonable that the downloader does some testing.

Spot on. Testing in P3D can surely be part of the training, education, and software development efforts, right? :lol:
ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam