FX SE scenery

FSX including FSX Steam version.

FX SE scenery

Postby mitchb » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:50 pm

Is it possible to install scenery downloads for FSX into FSX Steam.
I have been able to install some aircraft Some planes go into sim objects/airplanes, but don't appear in the aircraft group
mitchb
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: FX SE scenery

Postby garymbuska » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:18 am

mitchb wrote:Is it possible to install scenery downloads for FSX into FSX Steam.
I have been able to install some aircraft Some planes go into sim objects/airplanes, but don't appear in the aircraft group

In most if not all cases you should not have any problem I bought KJAX from Cleosim and have it installed on both FSX and FSX Steam
I also have Active Sky 2016 installed in both places but you do have to make a change in the options in Active Sky 2016 as to what folder your sim is in
I also have several payware aircraft installed in both places as well
As I stated in most cases any thing you put into FSX you should be able to put in FSX steam
You just have to point the installer to the correct folder for FSX Steam 8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Mossie » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:31 pm

I have no problem installing Aircraft. Seems there is no Addon Scenery file as in FSX. How can we add freeware downloads into steam ?
Mossie
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Ghostrider114 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:06 pm

You may need to add the addon scenery folder manually. I found that I can add stuff, but the Addon Scenery wizard in game doesn't work. Some scenery mods that use installers will add it for you, but otherwise you need to copy all of the files for the scenery directly into the default Addon Scenery/scenery & /Texture files to get it to appear ingame.

Aircraft I've had a little trouble with, but mainly with adding additional liveries to planes I purchased from Steam's DLC store. Adding other payware and freeware planes to the main SimObjects folder works fine.

PS. I strongly recommend that you DO NOT buy military or commercial aircraft from the Steam DLC store. Their distributor, Dovetail, removes any liveries or markings that they think are trademarked, and then try to pass off the product as the full package. Some of them are even listed at the same price as the original.
Ghostrider114
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:02 am

You can add scenery any place you want to it does not even have to be in the scenery folder at all. You just have to install it manually the only absolute requirement is that the individual BGL files be in a folder named SCENERY and any other file be in a folder named TEXTURE
But most people like to create a folder named for the scenery they are about to install. An example I downloaded some scenery for FLORIDA so I created a folder named FLORIDA inside of the addon scenery folder and then made a SCENERY and TEXTURE FOLDER with in the FLORIDA folder.
The tricky part is installing it you have to tell it where to find the scenery at such as C:ProgramFiles(86)/Steam/Steamapps/common/FSX/addonscenery/FLORIDA/Scenery this would be the default location of FSX STEAM
If you are using a 64bit windows if not just remove the (86) at the end of ProgramFiles
But like I said there is no law that states scenery has to be in the scenery folder as long as it is in a floder called SCENERY and has the scenery subfolder with in it.
For most people that just use the Scenery folder and than the addon scenery folder it makes it easier to find this way. 8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:28 am

Mossie wrote:I have no problem installing Aircraft. Seems there is no Addon Scenery file as in FSX. How can we add freeware downloads into steam ?

FSX-SE has the same directory structure as FSX boxed - including the Addon Scenery folder*.
The procedure for installing/activating 3rd party scenery is exactly the same.

*If yours is missing it's easy enough to create one.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam