I'm an oldie, but trying to come back! NEED FSX HELP!!

FSX including FSX Steam version.

I'm an oldie, but trying to come back! NEED FSX HELP!!

Postby lunitic_8 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:24 pm

Hi all, to most of you I am probably a stranger and a newbie. Lets just say I am a repeat newbie, I used to be on here almost every day when I first got FSX and was really into it as a young kid along with this poplar forum. I had a great time trying too max out all my setting on my cheap piece of crap computer, and I ended up taking some pretty good screenshots in the process. This game is actually what helped make up my mind and inspired me to become a professional pilot.

Now, I recently found my OLD FSX disk(s) and I'm currently installing it. I have a pretty decent setup now so I'm not too worried about lag/FPS issues. However, I'm really lost as to where to begin as far as downloads go. I'm sitting here trying to remember all the mods I used to have by searching through old posts attempting to figure it out. While I do that, I was hoping some of you current FSX-ers could lead me in the right direction as far as what are the good mods/add-ons to get to get my sim quality as good if not better than it was "back in the day." :lol:

One more question, the disk install is giving me some difficulties on windows 10, would it be better to installthe game from steam? If I do, Can I modify the game like you can with the disk install?

Please help this FSX oldtimer!! :-D

- Chad

I7-7700HQ | GTX 1060 | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD
lunitic_8
Major
Major

Re: I'm an oldie, but trying to come back! NEED FSX HELP!!

Postby Ratty » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:14 pm

Go with Steam. It has run virtually flawlessly for me for several years. I'm into add-on airplanes rather than utilities, but everything has installed successfully.
Ratty
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Dave T » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:20 pm

Welcome back check your messages for a few helpful links.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:21 pm

Hello, Looney!

Good to see you back again....after such a long time away! .... :o ....!

Take care .... ;) ....!

Paul.... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby lunitic_8 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:28 pm

Fozzer wrote:Hello, Looney!

Good to see you back again....after such a long time away! .... :o ....!

Take care .... ;) ....!

Paul.... :D ...!

THE FOZZ!!! Wow so there are some guys still hanging around on here huh?! That's great!!! 8-)

I'm glad to be back! Are screenshots a huge deal around here still as they used to be? :pray:

lunitic_8
Major
Major

Postby Flacke » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:37 am

By all means forget the disks and get FSX-SE from the STEAM site. It runs FAR better and it does not need the constant tweaking of the boxed version.
Then go to the ORBX site and buy the ORBX GLOBAL BASE scenery. Its the single best addon for FSX-SE as it transforms the scenery over the whole world.
With this combo you will be happy as a pig in poop. Later on you can add ORBX GLOBAL VECTOR and it gets even better. I have never had any problems adding aircraft etc.
You can go on YOUTUBE and see all kinds of videos on FSX-SE. Get ready for a great experience, enjoy.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Very_Old_Man » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:09 pm

Hello. I have been & still using FSX with Acceleration & VISTA as my OS. An alternative to Steam (since you still have the Discs),
& you asked about Downloads. If I type Downloads in the Start option, it tells me (shows me) the locations of my Downloads. Pretty simple then to see where they are located. Hope this might be helpful.
Very_Old_Man
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby lunitic_8 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:34 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

I have a question, which program are we using for AI now?

lunitic_8
Major
Major

Postby lunitic_8 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:35 pm

Very_Old_Man wrote:Hello. I have been & still using FSX with Acceleration & VISTA as my OS. An alternative to Steam (since you still have the Discs),
& you asked about Downloads. If I type Downloads in the Start option, it tells me (shows me) the locations of my Downloads. Pretty simple then to see where they are located. Hope this might be helpful.

Hi, I know how to get to the download folder on my computer, I was just looking for suggestions on new software to download for the game. Thanks for the help though. :D

lunitic_8
Major
Major

Postby pete » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:47 pm

If I were you I would consider P3d - it's the one with most thrust behind its development.

Downside is that only FSX native aircraft will work - upside - too many to mention. I wouldn't go back.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lunitic_8 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:27 pm

pete wrote:If I were you I would consider P3d - it's the one with most thrust behind its development.

Downside is that only FSX native aircraft will work - upside - too many to mention. I wouldn't go back.

Is it really that great? Heck, I may do both then!! I'll need to look more into it first.

lunitic_8
Major
Major

Postby TruNorthSim » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:03 am

As a user of FSX-SE and P3Dv4 with over 4000 combined hours, IMO, I think you should invest in P3Dv4, especially if you have a powerful computer. Most popular freeware and payware scenery and aircraft addons have already been updated to work on P3Dv4, so you shouldn't have too many issues.

Other than the price, there's no good reason to not go with P3Dv4 over FSX-SE. You're looking at $60 for P3Dv4 Academic or $200 for P3Dv4 Pro vs $25 for FSX-SE (it's actually $7 for the FSX Steam Key from G2A.com if you want to save yourself some money ;) ).

Either way, I recommend you invest in either EZdok, FSUIPC, REX Essential w/Overdrive, Orbx Global, and Orbx Vector as your first payware addons.

If you ever need help setting things up, would like to see addons before you purchase, or just chit chat about flight sim stuff, you can watch and chat with me live at www.Twitch.tv/blackjackriordan. I stream every evening around 4:00pm CST.

Good luck and happy flight simming!
TruNorthSim
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:56 am

Myself I use both FSX and FSX STEAM. The one big advantage of the steam version there are no disks involved so you don't have to worry about them going bad.
I use Active Sky 2016 and Active Sky Cloud Art and love it. It works for P3Dv4 as well I just think that P3DV4 is a little costly
As for AI I use the world of AI it has never gave me any problems.Just keep one thing in mind do not install a lot of AI as it will slow things down. I do not fly a lot of international flights or in foreign countries so I limit my AI to domestic areas, But do have a few for those rare occasions.
8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam