GPWS - Boeing 788 FSX Steam

FSX including FSX Steam version.

GPWS - Boeing 788 FSX Steam

Postby brntwrmn » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:21 pm

Hello,

I downloaded the FSX/P3D Boeing 787-8 Air Canada for FSX Steam Edition. I followed the installation instructions in the package:

1. Unzip to a Temp folder.
2. Move the folders 'Boeing 788 Can' to the 'FSX\P3D SimObjects\Airplanes' directory.
3. Move the GPWS folder inside the Sounds folder into the main Sound folder in FSX.

When I installed the aircraft, I could not find the GPWS folder inside the Sounds folder to be able to install it into the main Sound folder in FSX.

What would I need to do to be able to get the GPWS to function?

Here is the link:

https://simviation.com/1/search?submit= ... &x=13&y=11

Thank you in advance.

brntwrmn
brntwrmn
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: GPWS - Boeing 788 FSX Steam

Postby garymbuska » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:09 am

brntwrmn wrote:Hello,

I downloaded the FSX/P3D Boeing 787-8 Air Canada for FSX Steam Edition. I followed the installation instructions in the package:

1. Unzip to a Temp folder.
2. Move the folders 'Boeing 788 Can' to the 'FSX\P3D SimObjects\Airplanes' directory.
3. Move the GPWS folder inside the Sounds folder into the main Sound folder in FSX.

When I installed the aircraft, I could not find the GPWS folder inside the Sounds folder to be able to install it into the main Sound folder in FSX.

What would I need to do to be able to get the GPWS to function?

Here is the link:

https://simviation.com/1/search?submit= ... &x=13&y=11

You could try to use the GPWS from another aircraft that has it
You do know that this is the Ground Position Warning System
If one of your other aircraft has this you should be able to copy the files to this aircraft
You may have to add a gauge to make this work correctly and that can be tricky and even hard unless you have a program called FSPILOTSTUDIO
this is a payware program but worth every cent as it makes adding and editing panels as simple as falling off a log :lol:
If you want to be able to edit or add gauges to any aircraft in FSX or FS( this is the one you want
I have not tried to see if this works for FSX Steam or not
I am downloading the aircraft as I write this but it takes awhile as I am not a prime member
once it down loads I will check it out and see what I can find out.
Thank you in advance.

brntwrmn
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby garymbuska » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:51 am

I took a look at the file and there is no GPWS file any where however after looking at the panel cfg file I noticed there are entries about call out and this is usually the GPWS that uses this.
I suggest you take it out for a test flight and see what happens when you go to land or start approaching the ground to see if you get any call outs or warnings
From what I could see this looks like a well put together aircraft,
of course they could have left out the GPWS file when uploading it. See if you can email the person who uploaded it they are the only person that can answer your question.
I am at work right now so I can not check this aircraft out but will do so when I get home.
8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby brntwrmn » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:52 pm

Thank you for your help. I did find a GPWS file located in the sound folder of another model from the same author. The instructions stated that the GPWS folder had to go into the FSX main sound folder. Would I have to empty out the sound contents of the GPWS into the FSX main sound folder, or leave it in the GPWS folder in the FSX Main sound folder?

Thank you in advance.
brntwrmn
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby cevans » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:45 am

Hi
This is included in so many packages I have uploaded but not all.

I must have accidentally included the line about GPWS in that file even though it was not included.

The gpws folder found in many files should be placed in the main Sounds folder in FSX (or P3D)

Here is a file where the GPWS is included. Just place the GPWS folder inside your main sounds folder then it's there for all (the folder - not the contents).

https://simviation.com/1/search?submit= ... p&x=7&y=10
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:09 am

brntwrmn wrote:Thank you for your help. I did find a GPWS file located in the sound folder of another model from the same author. The instructions stated that the GPWS folder had to go into the FSX main sound folder. Would I have to empty out the sound contents of the GPWS into the FSX main sound folder, or leave it in the GPWS folder in the FSX Main sound folder?

Thank you in advance.

I would not remove any files from the sound folder just copy the contents of the GPWS folder to the sound folder of FSX like stated if you should get a message about duplicate files I would not replace the original file until you can check the two files out to see if one file might be newer than the other and has been updated to add features the older file does not have. If this is the case than I would replace the old file with the new one.
One should always be careful when you get a duplicate file message do not assume that the file you want to copy is better than the one that is already there.
You can run into this a lot when copying effects files like fs-nav-red.fx in most cases these are indeed exact duplicates so it will not make a difference.
What I do is to write down the name or names of the duplicate files than look at the two files to see if there is a difference than go from there. With FX file there is usually no difference but there can be a difference in brightness or the rate that it blinks. A light that is to bright can stand out like a sore thumb and take away from the aircraft. So you always want to check out the new plane in both daytime and nighttime to make sure it looks like you want it to by writing down the names of the duplicate you know which ones you might want to change to see what effect it has.
8-)
Gary M Buska
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby cevans » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:57 am

cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam