repair

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: repair

Postby Daube » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:02 am

Some clarifications would be needed from your side, actually.
Here are a few questions for you:

1- Does your FSX Steam work presently ? Can you launch it, fly it etc ?

2- You mentionned OrbX sceneries. Currently, in the scenery library, do you see all of your OrbX sceneries ?

3- Excepted OrbX, what other sceneries do you have ? Do you confirm they are missing from your library right now ?
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby yancovitch » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:16 am

thanks for the encouragement....but i don't know how to do that....redeclare??......yes i can fly.....but all the fsx default sceneries are missing only the orbx shows...and i don't think they are working in the sim....eg..no buildings on orcas island.....and airport is partly different level....
the others that are not shown are vancouver plus v2, victoria, ......................using rex, and dreamteam cyvr, but i don't think they are affected?
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Postby yancovitch » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:26 am

and even though the only scenery shown on scenery library is orbx ones, they are right at the bottom of the list.....my finger would never last long trying to raise them to the top ...one by one :D .....................bet there's no faster way.....guess that's why some scenery is not showing up......
anyways, i was getting in a panic, but now my reason is taking over...i got back into fsx after completing my ship models, to enjoy, when i'm too old to do the physical messy work...sooooo....i'll just take one step at a time...even reinstalling everything doesn't matter as this is to keep me occupied over my last years..... and gads, i feel so sorry for those poor people in texas...what a mess....!!!
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby Shadowcaster » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:26 pm

For editing scenery lists the best I have come across is https://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/ its really easy to change the order of scenery or add scenery and save the old fingers a lot of work. :dance: :dance: Just remember to install and run the app as administrator.

Cheers
Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby yancovitch » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:09 pm

thanks rich........i sure will give it a try.........one thing, just for my understanding.......if i eventually had to delete fsx and reinstall, is there any way to save the orbx scenery to avoid reinstalling it all.....or is it too late, cause i didn't back it up in the first place?......
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby Daube » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:21 pm

No no no.
Forget immediately about third party tools to edit the scenery.cfg, you're going to get even more in trouble ;)
Your FTX Central should have some tool to repair the scenerie entries in the scenery.cfg. Try to look into it. I do not have the latest version unfortunately, but I'm pretty sure you can get all of your installed FTX sceneries back in your library without reinstalling anything.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby yancovitch » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:40 pm

i feel that's probably good advice, especially because of my technical ignorance...being a musician and dreamer, i really have no business in delving into fsx...haven't got enough pixels between my ears....but...i do enjoy it so much :D .....will look into it...although i never saw any provision for that kind of control......seems like it's only to organize the basic downloads?......cheers, vc
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby yancovitch » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:22 pm

oh...i just discovered the two little arrows in ftxcentral.....in there are the orbx sceneries, but not default fsx ones.....lots a fun :)...kind of an adventure if one looks at the bright side of things:).......
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby yancovitch » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:48 pm

oh well...i'll just have to keep looking around some more before reinstalling fsx.......thanks for the ideas....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby Daube » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:05 pm

Which version of FTX Central are you using ?

For the sake of testing, I have just updated my FTX Central to v3. I was still using FTX Central v2 until now because I was lazy and I didn't want to perform that famous "FSS licence migration" stuff...

Anyways, I tried something:
1- I went in the folder where the scenery.cfg is.
2- I edited the scenery.cfg and deleted all of the OrbX entries, to get a kind of "empty" library like you have.
3- I saved and closed the file.
4- I launched FTX Central v3 and selected "Prepar3D v3" and didn't press anything else
5- I checked the scenery.cfg again and the Orbx entries were back where they should be (at the complete end of the list).

I'll check if I can perform anything for FSX Steam, which is also installed on my computer, but without any OrbX stuff inside...
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby yancovitch » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:07 pm

thank you daube......ha...every time i see your name i thing of the blue danube :D ..........i checked with a fellow in another forum and he said to use the back up scenery in fsx.......to rename the senery cfg., and change the backup scenery below it to senery cfg......but fsx told me the scenery file was corrupt when i tried it...........haven't heard back from him........
by the way, the scenery cfg contains only the default sceneries ...but the backup scenery below it, contains the default scenery plus all the orbx sceneries.......hmmmmmm......
only the scenery library in the game shows nothing except the orbx sceneries (down near the bottom)
by the way, i have ftxcentral3.........and i have already done a fsx steam repair.....no difference.......
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:24 am

yancovitch wrote:sorry i didn't express myself properly,,i've already repaired fsx steam....no problem.....it is the fsx registration repair i was referring to....i don't know how to use it.....i was concerned that there may be leftover files or whatever from the last time i installed fsx steam...which was screwed up.......but maybe it's unnecessary?......i apologize for my need to get things straightened out for the next little while...i may be a drain on people's brain :?

Never fear Yan.... ;) ...

....at least, like me, it shows that you still have some parts of the brain in good working order, on occasions!

Paul....Where am I? ..... :lol: ... :lol: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Daube » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:25 am

So, I tried to "cheat" by forcing the FTX Central to recognize the OrbX sceneries (for my P3Dv3) were also installed for FSX Steam...
That kind of worked, and the FTX Central added the OrbX entries in the scenery.cfg of FSX Steam.

However the result in game was not so good. The sceneries appear, but I get some elevation problems, as well as some bugs in some terrain tiles/textures and landclass. It is obviously OrbX scenery I'm seeing there, not default one, but it's inconsistent somehow.

I am not sure why this is not working. I triggered the installation of the OrbX Libs again, it transfered some files but it didn't really work. It might be because of the cheating or something like that, no idea.
Sorry for the trouble...
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Daube » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:41 am

New update :)

Since my old archive of OrbX Library installer (dated from somewhere in 2016) seemed to have no effect at all, I decided to return into FTX Central 3.
The tool kept telling me my OrbX libs needed to be updated. So I triggered that update and let it do its stuff. It took a while, because it downloaded more than 1 GB of data.
However, once the update was done, I relaunched FSX Steam and this time, everything was showing correctly, including ground textures and autogen.
I still have the elevation problem in Darrington Mun but I bet that's just another update missing, I don't care.

So, I suppose you should do just that: trigger the update (or reinstall) of the OrbX libraries from the FTX Central v3, and wait until it's done (it's all automatic).

By the way, in your FTX Central v3, are your products showing as installed or not installed ?
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby yancovitch » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:50 am

all installed .....but i feel the problem is not with orbx, but with fsx,.....and i may end up having to reinstall fsx rather than repair it via steam, which didn't work.....but i thank you for all your efforts!!
yancovitch
Major
Major

PreviousNext

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam