ILS Landing Help

FSX including FSX Steam version.

ILS Landing Help

Postby codymatthew » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:54 pm

Can anyone help me out with learning how to use the ILS to land? I just started dabbling in it. First time I used it, it worked great. Now I usually end up like this. Mind you, I was using a laptop and mouse because I'm travelling, so the flight isn't the best lol.

<<s

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG--ZYNGklU[/YouTube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG--ZYNGklU
codymatthew
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: ILS Landing Help

Postby codymatthew » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:13 pm

** DELETE **
codymatthew
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby garymbuska » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:32 am

codymatthew wrote:Can anyone help me out with learning how to use the ILS to land? I just started dabbling in it. First time I used it, it worked great. Now I usually end up like this. Mind you, I was using a laptop and mouse because I'm travelling, so the flight isn't the best lol.

<<s

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG--ZYNGklU[/YouTube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG--ZYNGklU

If you still need help with ILS landing it is really simple
The first thing you have to do is to find out the frequency and the angle of the ILS you can do that by going to the map view find the airport you are looking for and enlarge the view so you can see the runways and the ILS for each one that has one Of course you have to make sure you have all of the signs at the top of the map selected or you will not see the NAVIDS.
Another way to find out information on any airport in the US is to go to http://WWW.AIRNAV.COM select airports enter the ICAO like KJAX for example it will bring up the complete information for that airport it will show you all of the runways it has and will give you the ILS frequency and heading of each runway.
Once you know this enter the frequency in both NAV1 and Nav2 if it has it and than adjust the course knob to the runway heading. One thing I have discovered is that if it tells you to land at say runway 7Left the runway heading will be close to 070
You can also turn on the Visual flight path which will show you RED SQUARES in the sky that will guide you down to the runway Ther are a few other options you can use as well like a yellow brick road or telephone poles bu the red squares are easy to spot .
Using your instruments is a little tricky and hard to explain as to how that works as it depends on what gauge you are using some show arrows while others show lines and you have to interpret which way to go in order to intercept the ILS
But basically One arrow or line will show the course of the runway while the other will show you what side of that line you are on If the second line or arrow is to the right of the first line than the ILS is to your left and vice versa if on the other side .
As you approach the ILS you will see the second line or arrow move closer the the first one than you need to turn in the direction of the arrow on the first line or first arrow.
I hope this make s sense to you.
But one line or arrow will always point to the course you set so if you set 090 that the first line or arrow will point to 090 and will not move no matter what it is the second line which is always not as bold as the first or second arrow which can be smaller will move as you get close to the ILS course, And you want to turn in the direction of the first line or arrow. ATC will also tell you which way to turn to intercept the ILS providing your or flying IFR (INSTRUMENT FLIGHT RULES)
If you use VFR (VISUAL FLIGHT RULES)you will not get any help fro ATC as they will not provide vectors for you.
I for got to mention if you fly VFR and the airport you want to land at is under IFR conditions you will not be allowed to land
Same thing applies if the airport you want to depart from is under IFR conditions you will not be allowed to rake off
IFR is the way to go but it will take some time and training before you can master it
I finally have mastered the GPS approach and it took me a while to learn IFR but than I had actual flying lessons which helped a lot you have to be able to understand how to use your gauges
there are lessons you can take which will help but practice makes perfect.
I hardly ever fly VFR while other here hardly fly IFR 8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby pegger » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:00 am

Is there an instrument lesson in the learning center of fsx?
pegger
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:13 am

pegger wrote:Is there an instrument lesson in the learning center of fsx?

I think so but not sure and cannot check as I am at work now. 8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby slimcooper2002 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:11 pm

yes there is and it covers multiple gauge configurations.
slimcooper2002
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam