FSX Steam and addons

FSX including FSX Steam version.

FSX Steam and addons

Postby ShaneG » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:18 pm

I've been out of the FS scene for a LONG time now, and I've finally obtained a system that runs FSX maxed out, smoothly, and beautifully.

I found FSX on Steam last night, installed it, all sliders were cranked up by default, so away I went.

I was stunned at how much I had missed doing this. And finally, I was enjoying myself, instead of stressing out over how the thing was running.

So now then, my question is, can addons be used in the Steam version as they are on the disc version, and is everything done pretty much the same way as before?

My old FS rig with FS9 & FSX has about 500gb of freeware and payware addons that I would LOVE to revisit now! :pray:
ShaneG
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: FSX Steam and addons

Postby papituwall » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:55 pm

If you have installed FSX-SE stand alone, then all addon installers will follow the FSX-SE path C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX excepted those that have by default the "old" FSX path but you can browse for the FSX-SE path and install them with no problems.

As you can see, the program is exactly the same as the boxed edition.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby ShaneG » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:02 pm

Excellent! :dance:

I had seen a ton of payware addons on the FSX Steam page, and so I wasn't sure if there was something that would force me to use that stuff, or if it was just like the good old days and I was free to go where I wanted!

I'm going from Windows XP to Windows 10 here, so is there any issues there I should be aware of, or is that business as usual as well?
ShaneG
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby papituwall » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:53 am

I use win7, I'm not aware of issues with win10.

I suggest use FSX in DirectX10 mode, this improves the sim, but you need Steve's DX10 fixer, is not free but solves problems related to DX10 and allow the use of FS9 portovers.
https://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby Flacke » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:55 am

ShaneG wrote:

I was stunned at how much I had missed doing this. And finally, I was enjoying myself, instead of stressing out over how the thing was running.

So now then, my question is, can addons be used in the Steam version as they are on the disc version, and is everything done pretty much the same way as before?

My old FS rig with FS9 & FSX has about 500gb of freeware and payware addons that I would LOVE to revisit now! :pray:

I feel the same as you do, with FSX-SE I spend my time flying, not fiddling with everything.
yes you can use your FSX addons aircraft etc.
If you REALLY want to be thrilled, add ORBX global base and ORBX global vector. Then fly the world with stunning scenery etc. Enjoy.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Flacke » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:58 am

ShaneG wrote:Excellent! :dance:

I had seen a ton of payware addons on the FSX Steam page, and so I wasn't sure if there was something that would force me to use that stuff, or if it was just like the good old days and I was free to go where I wanted!

I'm going from Windows XP to Windows 10 here, so is there any issues there I should be aware of, or is that business as usual as well?

I am running Windows 10 64bit [came from XP] and I have zero problems. All you have to do is learn to use it. Its a great operating system.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:01 am

papituwall wrote:I use win7, I'm not aware of issues with win10.

I suggest use FSX in DirectX10 mode, this improves the sim, but you need Steve's DX10 fixer, is not free but solves problems related to DX10 and allow the use of FS9 portovers.
https://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/

FSX-SE works fine in Windows 10. Most FS9 portovers will display with certain known limitations, the main one being prop discs hidden behind clouds. This is due to the FSX graphics engine & is not a big problem. I see no advantage in using DirectX10 mode so have no reason to purchase the DX10 fixer.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ShaneG » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:52 am

So far so good!
Going to try to install a few things today and see how that goes.

Hagar wrote:I see no advantage in using DirectX10 mode so have no reason to purchase the DX10 fixer.

I tried out the DX10 option last night, and honestly, mine looked better without it, and ran smoother. No need to mess with it that I can see.
ShaneG
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Sprocket » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:47 am

papituwall wrote:If you have installed FSX-SE stand alone, then all addon installers will follow the FSX-SE path C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX excepted those that have by default the "old" FSX path but you can browse for the FSX-SE path and install them with no problems.

As you can see, the program is exactly the same as the boxed edition.

I need help here please with ORBX stuff.. :think:

I have both FSX boxed and FSX-SE.
Both FSX boxed and FSX -SE are installed on a separate and dedicated 500gB hdd, (F in my case) and not on the C drive.

The ORBX installer, (ORBX Global), HOWEVER points to FSX boxed only, with no other option available.

Anyway around this, anybody?

Jan
Sprocket
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam