FSX Steam v Microsoft FSX....

FSX including FSX Steam version.

FSX Steam v Microsoft FSX....

Postby Fozzer » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:42 am

Hello Chums... :D ...1

I have run my installed, DVD registered version of Microsoft FSX ever since it was first released, and over time have added all sorts of magic add-ons, both payware and freeware!.... :dance: ....!

It is claimed that FSX Steam loads and runs much smoother than the original FSX Version, and it appears to do so!

At the moment I have both FSX (via HDD), and FSX Steam (via Steam), running on my computer with the choice of using one or the other.
FSX is on my Hard Drive, and FSX Steam runs via Steam.

Its early on the morning, and my brain doesn't function too well, but is it possible to get FSX Steam to point to all the magic stuff that is in my Microsoft FSX Folder, and use all those add-ons without me having to drag and drop, re-install, etc, all my individual FSX files over to the Steam Version, (even if its possible)?
...to many individual files, too complicated, takes far too long, and its too early in the morning!... :cry: ....!

There you go Chums...Getting FSX Steam to automatically use all my original Microsoft FSX stuff on my HDD?

Can it be done...the easy way?... ;) ...!

Paul...early in the morning... :mrgreen: ...!

P.S. The possibility of the same sort of problem prevents me from considering purchasing and installing P3D!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: FSX Steam v Microsoft FSX....

Postby B52bob » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:44 am

Don't use FSX anymore after installing P3D V4. So much better frames, lighting, scenery (especially with Orbx) and no more ctds. Am happy to wait for upgrades to my payware stuff (which is happening to most add ons) and new freeware. BTW, many add ons still work. There are various lists on the net.

No matter what sim you have, enjoy it. Found that even though with computer limitations, much cheaper than the real thing.
B52bob
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby yancovitch » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:03 am

you read my mind...i was wondering that too....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Postby Fozzer » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:01 pm

yancovitch wrote:you read my mind...i was wondering that too....

It seems that we are both on the same track, Yan.... ;) ....

A quick and simple way to get our FSX Steam version, (P3D etc), to recognise and display all our files, freeware, payware, everything, etc, existing in our Microsoft FSX Folder in our HDD, without having to drag and drop, reinstall, etc, everything over from our Microsoft FSX to our FSX Steam version!

The ideal way...We start our FSX Steam version, and it recognises and uses all the files already existing in our Microsoft FSX Folder... :pray: ....!

Paul...I like "Easy Way"!.... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:13 pm

Not sure this will help.

For many years I've installed 3rd party aircraft to FSX in separate directories.
For example, I created new folders in the FSX main directory named Aircraft, AI Aircraft, Aircraft FSX Native etc, etc. Create as many as you like.*
These are then added to fsx.cfg like this:

[Main]

User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter
SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes
SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft
SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles
SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats
SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals
SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc
SimObjectPaths.6=Aircraft FSX Native
SimObjectPaths.7=AI Aircraft
SimObjectPaths.8=Aircraft

I have also activated the same directories in FSX-SE by editing fsx_se.cfg in the same way. You have to use the complete path to the FSX directories like this:
SimObjectPaths.6=C:\FSX\Aircraft FSX Native

(Note: My FSX is not installed to the default location.)
I wouldn't recommend doing this with the FSX default SimObjects\Airplanes directory as it will cause a conflict with the default aircraft.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work when activating 3rd party scenery.

* This method makes it easy to manage my addons. I check out a lot of aircraft for others that I don't wish to use myself.
I can activate or disable different directories at will with a simple edit to fsx.cfg.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:05 pm

FSX Steam version is wonderful for folks starting the Steam version from scratch, and than adding/installing various required programs, etc, payware and freeware, over a period of time...
...but for those of us who have spent many years adding all sorts of amazing "stuff" to our original copy of Microsoft FSX, it would be a daunting task to go over the whole process all over again with the Steam Version, even though the version runs more "smoothly"!

At the moment my copy of FSX runs wonderfully, (after a curiously long start-up delay, probably due to the large amount of stuff already in there!), and its only the possibility of FSX Steam version being re-programmed to run; "more efficiently" that attracts me to to use my default Steam Version!
It would be nice to take advantage of that; "more efficient" FSX Steam Version of the program to run all my existing "stuff" in my FSX Folder...lots of it!!

Paul....Most of my World is full of; "Stuff".... ;) ... :D ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby papituwall » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:28 pm

I install scenery in a separate drive. Then I can use in both FSX-SE and P3DV4.

I keeep FSX because some addons that not work in P3D4.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby yancovitch » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:33 pm

but i think some of the planes i have loaded into fsx, will not be compatible with steam...i think, one that i added to steam when i tried it before, totally screwed up the flightsim ...maybe the lysander auto installer............
hmmmmmm......i stuck with fsx in windows 7 ssd drive, which seems to be working quite well....but...i'm now loading steam version in my windows 10 drive.....a fellow at the computer store set that up for me.....so.....i'll be carefully adding stuff one at a time there....in fact, if possible, i'll install the auto installers to a folder, then to fsx......
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:03 am

Well.... :roll: ...

...I don't know... :think: ...

I've just run my HDD Boxed Version of FSX, which I've had since day 1, with all my wealth of various add-ons, both freeware and payware over the many years, and comparing it to my default Steam Version, it runs and displays marvellously, (after a lengthy boot-up)...full of life, and with all my sliders maxed on my Intel i7 Desktop Gaming Computer!
The thought of having to re-install all those multitude of files into the Steam Version, is far too daunting a task for me....
...so much stuff...too little time...
...even if I could locate the FSX Steam Folder on my HDD, which I cant!... :shock: ...
...It only seems to run directly from my own Library in "Steam"!.... :? ...!

The thing is...it does exactly what it says on the tin in my Microsoft Boxed version of FSX on my HDD, so I think I'll leave well alone, and don't tempt fate!.... ;) ...!

Like the old saying goes; "If it aint broke, don't try and fix it"!.... :D ...!

Paul...just exploring the accurate scenery in Ultimate Terrain USA!... :mrgreen: ....!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:09 am

Fozzer wrote:...even if I could locate the FSX Steam Folder on my HDD, which I cant!... :shock: ...

The default location for FSX-SE is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:27 am

Hagar wrote:
Fozzer wrote:...even if I could locate the FSX Steam Folder on my HDD, which I cant!... :shock: ...

The default location for FSX-SE is:

Ta Doug!.... ;) ...!

I've been searching alphabetically for; "F" for FSX...
..rather than; "S" for Steam!... :oops: ...!

.... :lol: ..... :lol:....!

My Microsoft boxed version is installed directly on my "C" Drive.

..and I'm not sure that simply dragging and dropping all my Boxed version of Microsoft FSX folders in the the Steam Folder, and overwriting, is going to work successfully?

All this confusion is making my head hurt... :? ... :lol: ....!

Paul... :D ...!
Last edited by Fozzer on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:44 am

Fozzer wrote:
Hagar wrote:The default location for FSX-SE is:

Ta Doug!.... ;) ...!

I've been searching alphabetically for; "F" for FSX...
..rather than; "S" for Steam!... :oops: ...!

.... :lol: ..... :lol:....!

My Microsoft boxed version is installed directly on my "C" Drive.

All this confusion is making my head hurt... :? ... :lol: ....!

Paul... :D ...!

Grumpy tip of the day. Once you find that FSX-SE directory create a desktop shortcut to it.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby yancovitch » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:40 am

hey.....had so much trouble installing fsx steam in windows 10 before....but i just tried it again....and wow....it worked......put a feather in my cap :D
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby yancovitch » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:04 pm

oh, by the way.....do people still use nvidia inspector for fsx.....and fsx steam?...........
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby Daube » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:38 am

Yes I do. FSX Steam is no different than the regular FSX when it comes to the video card settings, especially for AntiAliasing or Refresh Rate things.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Next

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam