Black AI aircraft at airports

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Black AI aircraft at airports

Postby Devildog73 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:47 pm

I have downloaded every airline which flies into Tampa and/or Orlando and still have some black aircraft sitting at gates.
Two at Tampa (KTPA) and four at Orlando (MCO).

Is there a way to find out which airlines they are supposed to be so I can get a paint-job on them?

Thanks,

Lee
Devildog73
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Black AI aircraft at airports

Postby garymbuska » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:57 am

Devildog73 wrote:I have downloaded every airline which flies into Tampa and/or Orlando and still have some black aircraft sitting at gates.

Is there a way to find out which airlines they are supposed to be so I can get a paint-job on them?

Thanks,

Lee

At this point you will have to look at all of the AI aircraft you have installed and see which ones do not have a texture defined correctly. Or have black textures. AI aircraft do not have panel in there folder. As Where the plane is at should not make any difference at all a plane that is black will still be black no matter what airport you put it at. As for what airline it is supposed to be does not make a difference and I would not try to find the problem aircraft that way. Once you find and fix the problem aircraft you will discover what airline it is
This is a good example of not checking what you download. One should check after every single download to see if they got what they expected. If you had done this you would have spotted it immediately. Now the only way to find the problem aircraft(s) is to look at every single AI aircraft.
One should not get in the habit of downloading multiple items than installing them all at the same time without checking will only lead to problems like this or worse. 8-) <<s
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:38 am

This might be caused by having DirectX 10 Preview enabled.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Devildog73 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:31 pm

Hagar,
That is what I suspected, and have read different forums talking about DirectX 9 & 10 but I am at a loss to find where to change from 10 to 9.
Can you enlighten me as to where to look and what to do?
Thanks,
Lee
Devildog73
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Devildog73 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:37 pm

garymbuska wrote:
Devildog73 wrote:I have downloaded every airline which flies into Tampa and/or Orlando and still have some black aircraft sitting at gates.

Thanks,

Lee

At this point you will have to look at all of the AI aircraft you have installed and see which ones do not have a texture defined correctly. Or have black textures. AI aircraft do not have panel in there folder. As Where the plane is at should not make any difference at all a plane that is black will still be black no matter what airport you put it at. As for what airline it is supposed to be does not make a difference and I would not try to find the problem aircraft that way. Once you find and fix the problem aircraft you will discover what airline it is
This is a good example of not checking what you download. One should check after every single download to see if they got what they expected. If you had done this you would have spotted it immediately. Now the only way to find the problem aircraft(s) is to look at every single AI aircraft.
One should not get in the habit of downloading multiple items than installing them all at the same time without checking will only lead to problems like this or worse. 8-) <<s

I am not new to flight simming and downloading installing aircraft and scenery. I am new only to FSX, and somewhat to FS9.
I have been in CFS2 since it came out and have uploads of campaigns I have put together and scenery I have constructed.

None of my FSX AI aircraft are missing textures.
Some textures do not show and when I look at the aircraft from outside it casts a shadow, but doesn't have a paint job. That is on the author of the textures.
I delete those and use a different aircraft skin from an author whose always show.
Devildog73
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:37 pm

The "Preview DirectX 10" option is in FSX Display settings. When enabled this can prevent the textures displaying on FS9 aircraft in FSX.
FS9 aircraft are often used for AI traffic.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Devildog73 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:48 am

Hagar,
AH!

Thank you. I have never noticed that clickbox before.
I will go in and uncheck it.

Also, after looking at screenshots of MCO and TPA, I noticed the AFCAD and airport guys used a mixture of Old Colors (OC) and new colors (NC) aircraft textured aircraft.
I am a realist and deleted the OC textures and aircraft config entries in all of my AI aircraft, i.e. no gold SWA and no polished silver AA, or navy blue US Airways aircraft.
I am thinking that may also be at least part of the problem.

I will try your solution first.

Thanks again,
Lee
Devildog73
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:15 am

If that doesn't work there are other things we can try. It would help to know your version of FSX & which 3rd party AI traffic files you have installed.

I have downloaded every airline which flies into Tampa and/or Orlando and still have some black aircraft sitting at gates.

To answer your original question you can view your AI traffic at or near any airport by selecting Views > View Mode > Air Traffic from the FSX inflight menu bar (see my shot below). Select one from the list & it will be displayed on screen. You can then cycle through the traffic by pressing the A key. It might take a while but this should enable you to identify the culprits.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby garymbuska » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:07 am

Hagar wrote:If that doesn't work there are other things we can try. It would help to know your version of FSX & which 3rd party AI traffic files you have installed.

To answer your original question you can view your AI traffic at or near any airport by selecting Views > View Mode > Air Traffic from the FSX inflight menu bar (see my shot below). Select one from the list & it will be displayed on screen. You can then cycle through the traffic by pressing the A key. It might take a while but this should enable you to identify the culprits.

I knew there were different views and never paid much attention to them and had no idea that you could do this. Thanks Hagar that would come in handy and indeed a much easier way to spot a problem AI aircraft.

If you open up the run command and type DXDIAG and press enter it should show you what version of direct X you are using but I am not sure if it will show DIRECT X 10 as this may only run while using FSX
I often wondered why they even put that box there.
The biggest problem is I do not think FSX will work with direct X 10 or higher.
My video card will support DIRECT X 12 but I do not have it installed and WINDOWS 10 will automatically install DIRECT X 11 But as I stated FSX will not work well or might not work at all using any version above DIRECT X 9.
One has to remember this is a old game
The graphics on the latest games are a lot better than the graphics in FSX. and you will need a video card capable of running either DIRECT X 11 OR 12 in order to play them.
Of course you will need a multi-core CPU as well at least a QUAD core or better. 8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:23 am

garymbuska wrote:I often wondered why they even put that box there.
The biggest problem is I do not think FSX will work with direct X 10 or higher.
My video card will support DIRECT X 12 but I do not have it installed and WINDOWS 10 will automatically install DIRECT X 11 But as I stated FSX will not work well or might not work at all using any version above DIRECT X 9.

The DX10 Preview option was included with Acceleration & the SP2 update. I'll let Phil Taylor (one of the ACES FSX development team) explain it.
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ptaylor/2007/10/03/acceleration-and-sp2/

Note the date of the article: October 2007
DirectX 10 was introduced with Windows Vista in January 2007. It was not compatible with earlier versions of Windows.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Devildog73 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:03 am

Hagar wrote:The "Preview DirectX 10" option is in FSX Display settings. When enabled this can prevent the textures displaying on FS9 aircraft in FSX.
FS9 aircraft are often used for AI traffic.

Hagar,
Interesting....
My settings doesn't have a box or text about DirectX10 preview.

Top box is the lens flare.

I have Flight Simulator X Gold Edition with Acceleration.
It was a BUGGER to install in WIN10X64.

Lee
Devildog73
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:29 am

Devildog73 wrote:Hagar,
Interesting....
My settings doesn't have a box or text about DirectX10 preview.

Top box is the lens flare.

Interesting indeed. At least this confirms that the DX10 Preview option is not the cause of your problem.
If you can identify the black aircraft & tell me where they were downloaded perhaps we can figure out why the textures are not displaying.

I have Flight Simulator X Gold Edition with Acceleration.
It was a BUGGER to install in WIN10X64.

Lee

Same as mine. I've had no problems with FSX but it was installed before I updated to Win10 from 8.1.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Devildog73 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:35 am

I tried to upload an image but the site won't allow me to do so.

In any case, it is an Edelweiss Airways A330-300. In the preview start window I can see the pilot, copilot, wings, and elevators. The fuselage is invisible.
In the sim, on the runway I see the wings and elevators in normal colors. The fuselage is flat black.

I have the "upload attachment" button below, but when I hit it, it goes to this top half of the screen but doesn't even allow me to "save draft-preview-submit".
They all disappear. Even when I hit "Upload Images" at the top of the page, I get the success screen, but the image is nowhere to be found.

Lee
Let's see if this works:

https://www.simviation.com/phpupload/upl ... 672358.jpg
Devildog73
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:55 am

Devildog73 wrote:I tried to upload an image but the site won't allow me to do so.

In any case, it is an Edelweiss Airways A330-300. In the preview start window I can see the pilot, copilot, wings, and elevators. The fuselage is invisible.
In the sim, on the runway I see the wings and elevators in normal colors. The fuselage is flat black.

I have the "upload attachment" button below, but when I hit it, it goes to this top half of the screen but doesn't even allow me to "save draft-preview-submit".
They all disappear. Even when I hit "Upload Images" at the top of the page, I get the success screen, but the image is nowhere to be found.

Lee
Let's see if this works:

https://www.simviation.com/phpupload/upl ... 672358.jpg

Here's your shot. It looks to me that you didn't install Acceleration - or it didn't install properly.

You have to copy the full upload path complete with [Img] [ /img] brackets like this

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam