Placing Aircraft at Gates?

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Placing Aircraft at Gates?

Postby Devildog73 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:30 pm

Hi all,

How do I go about either placing or replacing aircraft at gates?

Case in point: KMLB in FS2004 has African Airways A320s parked at two gates. One should actually be Delta Connection, the other should be Elite Airways.

in FSX no gate ramps are showing and only a Continental B373 is parked at a gate.

Only Delta Connection and Elite Airways fly commercially into KMLB and Elite aircraft sit there from Sunday afternoon to Thursday morning and then Thursday afternoon to Sunday morning.

So, how do I add the gate passenger ramps and parked aircraft to FSX KMLB?

Thanks,
Lee
DD73
Devildog73
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Placing Aircraft at Gates?

Postby garymbuska » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:08 am

Devildog73 wrote:Hi all,

How do I go about either placing or replacing aircraft at gates?

Case in point: KMLB in FS2004 has African Airways A320s parked at two gates. One should actually be Delta Connection, the other should be Elite Airways.

in FSX no gate ramps are showing and only a Continental B373 is parked at a gate.

Only Delta Connection and Elite Airways fly commercially into KMLB and Elite aircraft sit there from Sunday afternoon to Thursday morning and then Thursday afternoon to Sunday morning.

So, how do I add the gate passenger ramps and parked aircraft to FSX KMLB?

Thanks,
Lee
DD73

That is a good question. First things first every single aircraft in your fleet can be assigned a parking spot by editing the aircraft cfg file. The second thing is every single airport has to be made with parking spots of different sizes for each type of aircraft and the problem is not all airports are created equal. In FS2004 and below you used a program called AFCAD that allowe you to edit airports and add just about anything you wanted
However FSX is different you have to use a program called Airport design editor and you have to have the SDK (SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT KIT) which can only be found on the boxed version of FSX GOLD
As for static aircraft that can be done two different ways you can create scenery that will add static aircraft at airports but this is not the easiest thing to do as you have to have the longitude and latitude for every aircraft. The other way is to add AI flight plans which can be tricky as well as they have to be defined in a certain order and you have to have a program called ttols which you can find in several different places.
The best place to find it is in the World of AI airplanes installer.
The biggest problem is that most freeware aircraft do not define a parking space in the aircraft cfg file and with out that there is no telling where you are liable to find a aircraft parked. It depends upon how may and what size spots are defined for each airport. Parking spots are defined as small medium large and cargo. and than you have general aviation spots as well and once again the default airports do not always have the correct number of spots for each size.
You know you have a problem when you land at an airport they tell you to contact ground and when you do there is no selection to park at a gate or anywhere else for that matter. That means that airport does not have enough spots defined or does not have any spots defined at all
The only other option you have is to replace a airport with another airport that is better defined but finding one for free is not likely.
Below is an example of a aircraft cfg file entry that defines a parking space
this will help some but only if the airport has the spaces.

atc_parking_types Specifies the preferred parking for this aircraft, used by ATC. If this line is omitted, ATC will determine parking according to the type of aircraft and parking available. If multiple values are listed, preference will be given in the order in which they are listed. The valid values may be one or more of the following: RAMP, CARGO, GATE, DOCK, MIL_CARGO, MIL_COMBAT. Aircreation582SL( atc_parking_types=RAMP )
Boeing 747-400( atc_parking_types=CARGO )
de Havilland Dash 8-100( atc_parking_types=GATE,RAMP )

I know this is a lot of information but this is what you have to do to create a better FSX. 8-)

I use world of AI for all of my AI flight plans as I know that they are done correctly

Here is a link that should help you to understand the entries in an aircraft cfg file https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526949.aspx
you might want to read it
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Devildog73 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:17 am

Gary,
Thanks. It helps a lot.

I have FSX Gold-Acceleration. It was a challenge to install in Windows 10.
I have ADE-165-Full and have looked at Melbourne, FL and reassigned the gates in FS2004 to Delta and Elite
I also have AIFP3206 which I used to make Elite flight plans.
I am extremely new at using both, (one time for each).

When I fly the Delta Connection aircraft I get the proper gate assignments.
I don't have any flyable Elite Airways aircraft, only AI, so don't know about gate assignments.
I will follow your guidance and look in the aircraft config file and add the atc entries.

I guess I am going to have to play around with the FSX ADE and see if I can build a workable airport for Melbourne with gate passenger ramps.
It will be my first attempt doing so. I am generally a CFS2er and have built airbases and scenery in CFS2, but nothing in the civilian FS world.

Also, for whatever reason, I have an Airbus A380 with no textures just sitting on a parking spot on the south side at Melbourne, FL in FSX????

Again, Thanks!
Lee
Devildog73
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby garymbuska » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:15 am

Devildog73 wrote:Gary,
Thanks. It helps a lot.

I have FSX Gold-Acceleration. It was a challenge to install in Windows 10.
I have ADE-165-Full and have looked at Melbourne, FL and reassigned the gates in FS2004 to Delta and Elite
I also have AIFP3206 which I used to make Elite flight plans.
I am extremely new at using both, (one time for each).

When I fly the Delta Connection aircraft I get the proper gate assignments.
I don't have any flyable Elite Airways aircraft, only AI, so don't know about gate assignments.
I will follow your guidance and look in the aircraft config file and add the atc entries.

I guess I am going to have to play around with the FSX ADE and see if I can build a workable airport for Melbourne with gate passenger ramps.
It will be my first attempt doing so. I am generally a CFS2er and have built airbases and scenery in CFS2, but nothing in the civilian FS world.

Also, for whatever reason, I have an Airbus A380 with no textures just sitting on a parking spot on the south side at Melbourne, FL in FSX????

Again, Thanks!
Lee

No problem glad to help when I can.
As for the Airbus with no texture you need to check out the aircraft cfg file for that aircraft. The biggest problem is the name of the texture is usually misspelled.
Below is a good example of an aircraft cfg file and how gate assignments are made and how the different textures are used.
the line that read sim=FAV_737B refers to the texture file and has to be exact so if the texture file name is fav737b the sim= line is incorrect they have to match letter for letter and case to case
this is the biggest mistake made.
Of course there might not be any texture file in the folder at all.
The one thing you want to do is to make sure you are getting your files from a trusted site like SIMVIVIATION. be leary of off the wall sites as you could get more than you wanted

[fltsim.x]
title=FAIB B738w Tassili Airlines
sim=FAIB_7378
model=winglets
texture=Tassili
atc_id=7T-VCC
atc_airline=TASSILI AIR
atc_flight_number=526
ui_manufacturer=Boeing
ui_type=Tassili B737-800w
ui_variation=Tassili Airlines
description=FSX AI Bureau Boeing 737-800W for AI use :: repaint by Zafer El-Khatib
atc_parking_types=GATE,RAMP
atc_parking_codes=DTH

This should put you on the right path 8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Devildog73 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:36 pm

Gary,
I only use downloads from AVSIM, Flightsim, Simviation, and Sim-outhouse.

I can find all I need from one of the above four sites.

BTW, I made some flight plans and now have Elite Airways and Delta Connection aircraft at the KMLB gates, as they should be. Elite also show at KPWM, their hub and Sarasota.
The only problem I am having now:

How do I remove the errant trees from the approaches to airports in FSX?
MYSB, South Bemini, The Bahamas in actuality has NO trees from the end of the east end of the runway to the ocean, yet in FSX there are trees so close to the end of the runway I have to stay above 200 feet right to the end of the runway and make a very hard landing in any aircraft other than a single engine GA plane. There are actually commercial jets servicing MYSB, which has a very short runway.

Do I need to open it in FSSC, (if possible) and eliminate the trees?

I have Jim Keir's AGExcl, but it only works on stock airports.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Lee
Devildog73
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby garymbuska » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:35 pm

Devildog73 wrote:Gary,
I only use downloads from AVSIM, Flightsim, Simviation, and Sim-outhouse.

I can find all I need from one of the above four sites.

BTW, I made some flight plans and now have Elite Airways and Delta Connection aircraft at the KMLB gates, as they should be. Elite also show at KPWM, their hub and Sarasota.
The only problem I am having now:

How do I remove the errant trees from the approaches to airports in FSX?
MYSB, South Bemini, The Bahamas in actuality has NO trees from the end of the east end of the runway to the ocean, yet in FSX there are trees so close to the end of the runway I have to stay above 200 feet right to the end of the runway and make a very hard landing in any aircraft other than a single engine GA plane. There are actually commercial jets servicing MYSB, which has a very short runway.

Do I need to open it in FSSC, (if possible) and eliminate the trees?

I have Jim Keir's AGExcl, but it only works on stock airports.
When ti come to any thing in scenery the only way to remove or add to an existing is to either edit the existing scenery which is nearly impossible or to make an addon scenery to correct the problem which is the easiest by far
In order to create scenery in either FS you have to have a compiler and the SDK for the appropriate version of FS
I had some one make me a little file to fix a VOR that was placed in the middle of a runway.
You should check out the posts in the scenery design section.
the biggest problem is you have to know the latitude and longitude of the scenery . If this is in FSX you might be able to find a download for that airport.
I do not think that the AIRPORT DESIGN EDITOR will allow yo to remove trees but you might be able to place something in that spot if it is close enough as you can always extend the apron.
The next thing is placing the replacement scenery in the correct place in your scenery cfg file so it shows up correctly.If you have more than one scenery for a given area you have to make sure you display them in the proper order otherwise strange things can happen like trees on the runway or aircraft in the middle of a hanger.
Now it is possible that is the problem here 8-)

Any advice is much appreciated.

Lee
Gary M Buska
garymbuska
Major
Major

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam