Getting a yoke and a set of rudder pedals to work correctly

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Getting a yoke and a set of rudder pedals to work correctly

Postby Merlin0859 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:52 pm

Just what the title says. I having been using a ch eclipse alternately with a thrustmaster joystick for helicopters. Thought I'd step up and buy rudder pedals. Mostly because of cost and other factors I went with the new thrustmaster set. They are more or less functioning. Well all but the fool toe brakes. I have through trial and error ruled out that the rudder pedals are faulty. Having said that, I load into fsx and all seems well. Then I touch the toe brakes and they are stuck on. I can set and unset the parking brakes to fix it but that's not always optimal. Can anyone give me any hints to setting them up properly? If I delete the toe brakes from their profile all is well. I'm not using any other outside software that would interfere. I would like to keep using the toe brake function. I have disabled the rudder paddles on the yoke. Thanks for any and all help!
Merlin0859
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Getting a yoke and a set of rudder pedals to work correc

Postby zswobbie1 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:46 am

Double check your key assignments, check if the 'repeat' is on or off.
Are you using FSUIPC?
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Merlin0859 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:08 am

No I'm not using FSUIPC. Honestly had no need to till this point. Repeat is not on the offending toe brakes. Only other things. No brake presses. I can't seem to locate any offending axis either. I've read that reversing the axis might help but it didn't. This is under Win7 64bit by the way. I know it's probably a conflict in setup but I can't find what. Thank you for answering and any help. I don't think it's supposed to be this hard is it? Leave it to me.
Merlin0859
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Sinkrate » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:42 am

The way I usually do it is to remove all HID’s except keyboard and mouse. Then, plug in one HID and get it working properly. You will notice that FSX automatically assigns functions which, in some cases, are inappropriate. You have to scroll down the list of axis and key assignments (right down to the bottom of the page) and correct all of FSX’s foul-ups. Then, when all is well, plug in the next HID. FSX will then go though its procedure of automatically assigning functions and will probably screw-up the first HID in the process. You have to go through the same rigmarole again to remove unwanted assignments and resolve conflicts. I think this is the best way to confirm that each HID is not faulty, and find the conflicts as they occur. With some HID’s, sensitivity might be an issue, so that will need to be adjusted as well.

I have a number of HID’s that I use for different types of aircraft but I don’t have them all plugged in at the same time. :doh: I use CH Eclipse yoke and pro pedals for civil aircraft and Thrustmaster HOTAS joystick and throttles for military. I find that it is not a problem to change them mid-stream while the program is running, but it took a while to get them set up properly. I am currently using Win 10 but the set-up worked equally well on Win XP.

Good luck!
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Merlin0859 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:10 am

@sinkrate Thanks for the help. I think I'm going to take your advice and just start from scratch with each one. I also use the eclipse yoke and hopefully rudders for GA aircraft and a thrustmaster joystick for helicopters and military. Keep your fingers crossed that it works. Nice to hear from someone that actually has it working though. Means I can get there I just have some work to do. Don't mind admitting I've somewhat regretted getting the pedals thus far. :)
Merlin0859
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Merlin0859 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:01 pm

Well that didn't work. Tried starting from scratch and no joy. Same thing. Only thing is now it won't let me assign brakes to anything keyboard included. The rudder pedals are probably barring a miracle going back. Now if I can get everything back to normal! Cross your fingers or whatever! :)
Merlin0859
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Merlin0859 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:28 pm

Thanks to all for the help! I've officially chucked in on the pedals. Aim to get my money back. Got everything working as before this so live and learn, I guess. Again thanks to those who tried to help but I'm out of ideas and options. I'm sure it's something that I'm doing.
Merlin0859
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Merlin0859 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:08 am

Only the unregistered version. I got them working with my joystick but not my Eclipse yoke.
Merlin0859
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:16 am

It's kinda late, but the best way to setup rudder peddles is with them on a chair or table next to you.

You can control them better, and there is no doubt that you have it right when you're done.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Merlin0859 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:15 am

I think my problem with the yoke is the rudder paddles. I deactivated them in fsx but it seems the paddles and the toe brakes are still linked. I can't figure this one out. They should be deactivated but it acts like there not. Any thoughts on what I might be missing? Thanks again everybody.
Merlin0859
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:25 pm

I'm late to this post, so forgive me if you've covered this before...

But you do know that the ALL of the flight sims frequently assign ridiculous assignments to any USB "Human Interface Device" (HID) device that the can detect??

For instance, on the Saitek Throttle Quadrant, what would normally be the throttle lever often gets assigned to the rudder or ailerons. You'll push the throttle forward and the plane veers off to the side. Great. :doh:

Even buttons get assigned to weird commands.

I find that it's best to delete all assignments, one device at a time. Completely.

Ignore the keyboard assignments, but delete ALL of those buttons and lever (axis) assignments. It's a pain in the butt, but it's also the best way to do it.

Strangely, the only "automatic assignment" that never seems to be wrong is the "hat" assignment, so you can leave that one.

So, to me, it sounds like you have a lever or button that has an odd assignment.

Like you, I have a CH Products yoke, and I like it. But I also have a Saitek rudder peddles.

If you want to start fresh and get full command, you'd need to delete the rudder and other axis from both the CH yoke and the peddles.

For what it's worth, the "rudder peddles on the CH yoke can be made to zoom in and out, but you would need something like FSUIPC to do that.

There is one problem that I've come to recognize - the plane will suddenly go to the left or the right.

Whenever that happens I have to pull the peddles away from the partial backstop on the desk. It'll push the peddles one way or the other. :oops:

Live and learn. :whistle:
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Merlin0859 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:44 pm

Thanks for the help. Any and all is always welcome. My major issue is that the toe brakes on the pedals stay engaged. I get the brake message in the lower left corner. I read your other post recommending deleteing the assignments. I tried all of that, unfortunately. I wish I could see what I'm missing. I finally got the pedals working perfectly with my joystick but the yoke setup is a no go. I'll try it all again though. Who knows maybe the controller gods will look favorably on me this trip. Or I'll see what I missed. I wish it would be me. That's fixable! :D
Merlin0859
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:22 pm

...to tell your the troof... ;) ... ;) ....

I've been touring the World, (well...mostly California!), almost every day since 1995 and Flight Unlimited II, FS '98, etc, etc...using various Twist Joysticks + Throttle with no problems at all.

I was given a complete set of Flight Yoke and Rudder Peddles a couple of years ago, tried them out, found the whole set-up far too bulky and clumsy, and went straight back to my trusty Saitek Cyborg X Joystick again!

It takes up no room on my Desk, and there's nothing on the floor to collect dust, spiders, and small mammals!

It does exactly what it says on the tin, and costs next to nothing!

I'm a very happy bunny, with just a simple, Twist Joystick.... :dance: .....!

Paul.....I like; "Simple"...and; "Bunnies".... ;) .... :lol: ....!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:50 pm

Merlin0859 wrote:Thanks for the help. Any and all is always welcome. My major issue is that the toe brakes on the pedals stay engaged. I get the brake message in the lower left corner. I read your other post recommending deleteing the assignments. I tried all of that, unfortunately. I wish I could see what I'm missing. I finally got the pedals working perfectly with my joystick but the yoke setup is a no go. I'll try it all again though. Who knows maybe the controller gods will look favorably on me this trip. Or I'll see what I missed. I wish it would be me. That's fixable! :D

Here's an example of what I'm talking about with the odd automatic assignments.

I plugged the rudder pedals into a powered USB hub to get new assignments. There are more than a couple of things wrong here.

And NOW for the bad part

I'm getting the same problem as you with FSX. :oops:

EVERYTHING that could affect the brakes has been cleared. Yet when I press either toe down I get "Differential Brake", followed by a continuous "Brake", and the aircraft is stopped dead in it's tracks.

Nothing that I changed would make a lasting correction to the problem.

Years ago I believe that I used a program called FSUIPC to control the rudder peddles (and a great deal more).

On switching to Prepar3d V2 it wasn't a problem because the flight sim did it right and no correction was needed. The same with Prepar3d V3 & V4

FSUIPC may be overkill for you. FSX:SE may do it correctly, I don't know.

Prepar3d would be an option. Alternately you could buy a program called SPAD.neXt, but again, that may be overkill for what you want to do.

If FSX:SE does it correctly, the least expensive option might be to wait until it's on sale this fall and buy it.

So the good news is that you aren't stupid or crazy. :dance:

The bad news is that you still have a problem. :cry:
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby garymbuska » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:30 am

For what it is worth I am using CH RUDDER PEDDLES and SAITEK CESSNA FLIGHT YOKE WITH THROTTLES
It came with its own software
All I had to do was to first install the driver for the rudder peddles and than install the driver for the flight yoke and throttle panel.
My flight yoke uses a product called MADCATZ it has a profile editor that allows you to set up the keystroke you want for every button and axes with no problems
I have the left button set to answer 1 for ATC the right buttons set for 2 for ATC and I have a slide switch set up for 3 for ATC
the left slide I have st up for press left and the gear go up or down press right and it opens the ATC window
I have my throttle as XY axis and when i slide it down to the locked position it activates thrust reverse as i set F2 for the key stroke
i am only using one rocker switch on the throttles for when pressed down it lowers the flaps one step for every push I think that is F5 and than pressing up cause the flaps to raise completely I think that is F6
But all you have to do is to use the appropriate keystroke assignment with a button or a switch
I can answer ATC just by pressing the right left or pushing the slide switch down
The number 1 acknowledges ATC
The number 2 is used to request taxi
the number 3 is used to request Takeoff
I have never had any false assignments
The profile editor I usse has a test function so you can make sure it is responding the way you want it to.
Granted it takes a few minuets to set it up for everything you want but it is well worth the effort.
8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Next

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam