fsx disc

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: fsx disc

Postby OldAirmail » Thu May 04, 2017 6:52 am

Unfortunately, just moving the folder doesn't work. You'd have to install it to that drive/directory.

But again, you only have to change one letter during the install and everything else will take care of it's self.

Another benefit to installing onto another drive is that it makes it easier to backup & restore.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby garymbuska » Thu May 04, 2017 7:20 am

yancovitch wrote:so can i just move the fsx steam folder into the now empty, Program Files (x86) folder.....??
so the path would be.....Program Files (x86)....fsx steam...steamapps...common.....fsx.....??

As I stated earlier I would not put anything in the Program files (86 folder on your C drive.
As you can see by my signature I have three had drives two internal and one external. I have FSX on one drive I have FS9 on another drive and FSX steam version on the same drive as FSX is on.
The only thing I allow to install on my C drive program files(86 ) folder are simple things like Adobe flash and Adobe shock wave
Now you can put things on your C drive as long as you put in in its own folder. 8-) <<r
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby yancovitch » Thu May 04, 2017 4:25 pm

gads.....i'm in for it......anyways, i tried to install orbx pnw scenery, and it got totally screwed up.....so sad i'm not a smart person that could understand and fix things:)...i know fozzer...i know :mrgreen: but maybe i'll learn...miracles happen
anyways, i'm re-installing fsx steam to start fresh.....and i'll need some guidance on how to install the orbx scenery into the now vacant E drive....three hours to go....wish my disc wasn't ruined :)............by the way my ssd E drive is only 240gigs....hope that's ok
yancovitch
Major
Major

Location: born montreal, lived vancouver, now live in burns lake bc.

Postby OldAirmail » Thu May 04, 2017 6:44 pm

Did you start off with the newest FTX Central?

.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby yancovitch » Thu May 04, 2017 8:08 pm

yes....unless there's one newer that the one shown on orbx main page........steam installed now in drive E...program files x86.....steam......if you could guide me through it .... sure would be grateful......
craps.......i just tried fsx, and it's stuttering with a 1-2 frame rate....something's wrong....starting to get depressed...where's my cd's boo hoo.....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby yancovitch » Thu May 04, 2017 11:08 pm

naaaaa i quit steam and i'll be able to get a refund......will somehow find the cd's for a decent price......like gold now....will worry about orbx when that happens.....thanks for your kindness
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby yancovitch » Fri May 05, 2017 1:01 am

oh....if i purchase a deluxe edition of fsx like i have from someone....will i be able to use it regarding the activation key? hmmmm....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby garymbuska » Fri May 05, 2017 7:28 am

yancovitch wrote:oh....if i purchase a deluxe edition of fsx like i have from someone....will i be able to use it regarding the activation key? hmmmm....

I would not count on that happening unless the person you buy it from never registered it I can almost guarantee it will not let you register it. You would have to buy there computer as well as the disk or registered to that computer and that computer only.
As I stated I have the steam edition as well and have a lot of stuff for it. If you have something on the boxed edition chances are good it will work on the stem edition as well. It is not that complicated all you have to do is to point the installer to the correct folder. Granted there are a few more folders that you have to go through. The boxed edition installs by default on the C drive in the Program Files(86) folder under Microsoft Games than FSX.
The steam edition will install by default on the C drive in th Programs Files(86)folder than under Steam than under SteamApps than under Common . Now mind you as I stated just substitute The drive letter you will put it in like E
I might have missed a folder but if you highlight the ICON for steam and right click on it than left click Properties it will show you where it is at. Just write it down it is really not that hard.
8-) <<r
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby yancovitch » Fri May 05, 2017 5:27 pm

gotcha, and thanks i was too gung ho on getting the sim working and too impatient .......people are selling cd's online and i wonder how they are suppose to work for the buyer??? strange....
to late to reverse the refund i requested on steam, so i have to do more research first, and decide which way to go..i just wasn't able to jump in as i was hoping to do :cry: .........thanks so much.....and we'll see what happens......
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby papituwall » Sat May 06, 2017 12:36 am

Use the Steam edition, you won't be disappointed, install FSX SE in stand alone option.

After installing FSX SE in your E: disc you shoud use TweakFS Registry Utility:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads ... lity-v121/

This will point installers direct to E: except some installers that point to default install location.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby yancovitch » Sat May 06, 2017 1:07 am

very grateful.....we'll see what happens....may end up having to repurchase steam...everyone's been so kind and patient with me...
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby Canuck1955 » Sat May 06, 2017 2:51 pm

Late to this thread but FWIY Steam FSX is way superior to any MS boxed version. I have both. Steam will install and be up and running and smoother and less crash prone because they use an updated SimConnect and other newer DLL files than MS who stopped development almost 10 years ago.
Furthermore I recently bought a new Win 10 64 and FSX Boxed would refuse to install on it altogether. Not everyone has had that problem but it not uncommon.
Wait a while and Steam have frequent sales, usually at or approaching major holiday periods. Plus with their impending new sim they will likely have one very soon. When I picked up FSXSE it set me back a whopping $5.
And don't buy somebody else's FSX boxed sim as the licence is used/allocated and although MS wipe their servers periodically, this may not guarantee you can use a second hand sim. The computer it was installed on is moot as I bought FSX when it came out in 2006 and it has been on at least 4 of my PC's (maybe 5) since then with no problem. The licence is issued to whoever bought the sim not the PC it is on.
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby yancovitch » Sat May 06, 2017 4:34 pm

ok...thanks for the confirmation and good advice......i may give it another try.....this time i'll make sure i install it properly, with help of course........funny...every time i read instructions or installation guides, to me, there always seems to be something missing in the instructions which prevents me from understanding them ... i think i have some holes in my brain....or many instructions contain alot of assumptions :D ......hmmmmm.....
yancovitch
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sat May 06, 2017 7:10 pm

Sometimes I try too hard. I read too much into the directions, or "think" that I must be missing something, only to find that the instructions were actually simpler than I had thought.

If all else fails, STOP, ask somebody online. Preface it with something like FSX: Steam Edition install HELP!
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby yancovitch » Sun May 07, 2017 1:07 pm

ok...got fsx steam working....in E...... program files x86....steam.........
don't know how to install orbx pnw in the proper place....would need some detailed direction......i checked the directions on orbx forum plus video.....didn't help....have purple icon ftx central 3 on desk top.......
yancovitch
Major
Major

PreviousNext

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam