Warning of possible scenery problem!

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Warning of possible scenery problem!

Postby Jetranger » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:06 pm

WARNING to ALL Simviation members and others in the Flight Simulator community

THIS IS NOT ABOUT SCENERY FROM SIMVIATION.

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY !!!

Now ol' Bill Stack is a reputable guy and makes incredible scenery without a doubt

BUT something has gone incredibly WRONG with his latest scenery freeware download and as of right now I'm on his FORUM BOARD researching the complaints as I type this

its NOT looking good, from the posts I'm reading, lotta issues, complaints and stuff not working properly if at all.

I downloaded BILL STACKS latest scenery ( HERONS NEST) with that SODE feature and upon starting up MY FSX Gold / Acceleration ,,,, it has somehow "ERASED" All my Aircraft Absolutely nothing shows up in the aircraft window at all , Zilch, nothing, notta Zip !!! :evil:

Its is NOT just a simple re-install of my FSX either, before we even go there !

All my Aircraft were custom painted inside and out as well as many scenery files !!! some are backed up some weren't .

This is NOT - NOT - NOT my 1st scenery install,, for I have over 250 add on sceneries installed in my FSX some payware, some freeware , and a lotta of them I went in a tweaked and further customized myself

I now have NO Aircraft at all, tho they show up in my Sim Objects Folders,,,, but none in the FSX Sim window upon starting up the Sim itself ????

Judging from the forum board on I blue Yonder, it appears BILL STACK has ventured into something he shouldn't have, put out by others he may should of NOT trusted, as far as other applications to go with his scenery ,

What should of taken me less than 5 minutes to install a simple scenery, such as that "Herons Nest" a freeware island, I'm now 2 hours just trying to diagnose the issue & problems .

Luckily , I made a VIDEO of this whole problem for which i'll be posting here shortly to show everybody !!

For right now my advice is to stay away from downloading and injecting that Herons Nest Scenery Freeware until issues, problems and bugs get worked out !!

or do as you want and enjoy some hefty time consuming issues !!!

Stay tuned more to come on this issue , ifI'm able to get thru it safely ????

IBLUE YOUNDER : http://iblueyonder.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1
Jetranger
Major
Major

Re: Warning of possible scenery problem!

Postby Jetranger » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:48 pm

Herons Nest from I Blue Younder

This is the scenery download that has so far rendered my FSX Sim useless, still trying to diagnose this issue, video of issue coming !!!

http://iblueyonder.com/portfolio/the-herons-nest/
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:01 am

Heres the problem, what happened,,,,,

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvALVbzmQkA[/youtube]
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Dave T » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:38 am

Thanks jet for the warning I was tempted to get this scenery but will put it on hold for now.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby Roypcox » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:58 am

Thanks Jet for your time and effort to warn others of this horrific problem. I hope you can get all of your ac back without having to reinstall them. Please keep us posted of the out come of your dilemma. You did a great job on your video explaining your problem. Roy
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby ftldave » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:09 pm

Maybe you've been running in this fashion for awhile, but time and time again we've seen people running FSX in the default c:\program files (x86) having awful problems. That's just asking for trouble because of the default security and access restrictions imposed by the operating system, even when you Run As Admin, and especially if the installer includes secondary installation of components like SODE. Good luck sorting it out.
ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Canuck1955 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:15 pm

I have resisted thus far downloading this scenery as it doesn't interest me, but many have and I have not heard of anyone else having any issues.
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:21 pm

Despite your warning I downloaded & installed the Heron's Nest scenery. It took me a while to figure out the SODE part of the install (mainly because it couldn't find the path to my FSX.exe) but I now have it working as advertised in both FSX Gold & FSX-SE.

I'm not sure how installing the scenery itself could possibly affect all your aircraft but it's possible that SODE modified your FSX.cfg file during the install.
(This is apparently part of the Prepar3D install process.)
I suggest checking the SimObjectPaths sections of your FSX.cfg & make sure that one line points to your SimObjects\Airplanes folder.
You should find a backup copy of your FSX.cfg named fsx.CFG.txt in the same location if you need it.
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby hertzie » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:24 pm

I did that install 5 times (also mentioned it on the blueyonder forum) and 5 times my plane "hung" a 100ft above the ground and when I started it, it fell down and crashed. So I also say: don't download it, though it looks great.

hertzie.
hertzie
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:32 pm

hertzie wrote:I did that install 5 times (also mentioned it on the blueyonder forum) and 5 times my plane "hung" a 100ft above the ground and when I started it, it fell down and crashed. So I also say: don't download it, though it looks great.

hertzie.

Mine did that before the SODE module was correctly installed & registered. It now displays as intended.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Jetranger » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:43 pm

4/24/2017 Monday

Dave I got your message, Ya know I don't know yet, i'll have to check, I plan on looking further into it tonight and tomorrow deeper see if I can locate what happened and why ,,,,,

I'll be getting back to ya'll when I actually find the exact problem, i'll post a video and screen shots and explain what I found, that's IF, I can find the problem, issue ,,,,

I'll be back :D
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:24 pm

To Hager & DAVE T

its 11:20pm cst time here in the US :D and I followed thru on everything the Both of you advised and your 100% correct, somehow the "SODE" thingy ma' jobber, modified the MAIN FSX CFG file

luckily for me , I have a copy from the last 3 months in my "External Hanger" or External Hard drive I back up every month just in case of times like these.

So I copied it over into the proper folder and were back up and running again with all the Aircraft properly showing back up like their supposed to !

I also left a message for Bill over on I-Blue Younder on his Forum Message board as well,,,,, all is well again !

Let this be a lesson to all you out there, especially if you have a lotta custom tweaked aircraft and scenery files - - BACK UP your Stuff constantly !!!!

ya' just never know when things are gonna go South and wreak havoc .

OK Thanks for the replys and help Hager and Dave T,, :D :P

appreciated - Jetranger :P :dance: :dance:
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Roypcox » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:35 am

So glad you got it worked out. Thanks for the update. roy
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby hertzie » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:51 am

This is for Hagar: please tell a simple flightsimmer HOW to install that SODE in a proper way.

Thanks,

hertzie.
hertzie
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:42 pm

Glad you fixed it Jet.

hertzie wrote:This is for Hagar: please tell a simple flightsimmer HOW to install that SODE in a proper way.

Thanks,

hertzie.

I'll do what I can. Before we start it would help to know which version of FSX you're using.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam