Orbx scenery

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: Orbx scenery

Postby jefflar » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:29 pm

If it works , it works.
Keep a note for the future if you ever have to reformat your drive.
jefflar
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:57 pm

So how do you like the Orbx demo scenery?

And now for the surprise - The paid versions are EVEN BETTER than the demos! :D
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby seafloat » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:56 pm

Hi do you have microsoft.NET framework 4.6 installed ftx central won`t work properly without it
seafloat
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby slimcooper2002 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:25 am

Its a big improvement over the stock scenery, I'm thinking about investing in the Northern California download.
And FTX Central seems to be working fine, I downloaded all 3 demos in a very short amount of time and it was the easiest scenery install I have ever done.
slimcooper2002
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:41 am

slimcooper2002 wrote:Well I know it probably wasn't the smartest way to do it but I just copy and pasted fsx from my external drive to the one my os is on and I didn't make a shortcut to the new location. I uninstalled ftx central again and reinstalled it. I got the same screens so I hovered over the icon in the task tray and closed the "select simulator" screen. The log in window stayed open but was still unclickable so I gave up on it and went to doing something else. I noticed about an hour later it was still open and when I went to close it I found I could log in. after that I was able to download all 3 free demos. They work great! I dont know if copying my game to the other drive did it because when I click the shortcut it opens fsx in the original spot since I didn't make a new shortcut. I wish I had an answer but thank you to everyone that responded.

Glad you got it working. What happened is the server was slow responding, could have been caused by a lot of people trying to down load the demos. Some sites use old servers and do not have a lot of bandwidth so they are slower than molasses on the top of Mt Everest with a temp of 30 below. And trust me that is slow. 8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Mickod2603 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:47 pm

So, whilst there's a subject on Orbx Scenery, i bought a couple of packs (Global Base, and Scotland), and although there has been some slight improvement in the graphics etc, it's not quite there yet. Here are some screenshots. Any ideas welcome and appreciated!

Mickod2603
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Flacke » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:41 pm

So glad that you kept trying! WTG. Once you get used to flying over ORBX scenery you will not be able to live without it. It has transformed my flying into a much more enjoyable experience.
At first, you should buy Orbx Global, then fly it for a while and when you can, add Orbx VECTOR. From there you are on your way to a wonderful world of flying joy.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby tjitah » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:46 am

jefflar wrote:Orbx are not "shady" but the new download system is a pain. I have stopped buying their products because of this.

ditto
i7-4790K @ 4.6 GHz, ASUS Maximus VII Gene, GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 2400MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Rift, Windows 7 64-bit
tjitah
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby garymbuska » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:17 am

slimcooper2002 wrote:Well I know it probably wasn't the smartest way to do it but I just copy and pasted fsx from my external drive to the one my os is on and I didn't make a shortcut to the new location. I uninstalled ftx central again and reinstalled it. I got the same screens so I hovered over the icon in the task tray and closed the "select simulator" screen. The log in window stayed open but was still unclickable so I gave up on it and went to doing something else. I noticed about an hour later it was still open and when I went to close it I found I could log in. after that I was able to download all 3 free demos. They work great! I dont know if copying my game to the other drive did it because when I click the shortcut it opens fsx in the original spot since I didn't make a new shortcut. I wish I had an answer but thank you to everyone that responded.

Glad this worked for you but you have to understand when you install a program it creates a registry entry that tells the system where to find it at so even though you copied the file to some other place in reality nothing changed because the registry did not change so all you did was to waste time. Something else was causing the issue and it finally worked it out
One has to be careful when copying and deleting files as you never know if a file is not part of some program and if you delete it instead of uninstalling the program you could create a major issue. In some cases the next time you start up your system you might get a nasty surprise when you get a message that a needed file could not be found and Windows can not start. The one message you never want to see is when it tells you it cannot find a Operating System.
That is when you better hope you have a copy of windows or created a backup.
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:33 am

In the early days, the Global FTX scenery had some problems. And trying to keep updates was a PITA.

But with the new(ish) FTX Central 3 I've had no problems at all.

If you have some Orbx scenery on disk then getting it setup in FTX Central 3 may, or may not, be a problem. But you only have to set it up one time. No problems after that.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Previous

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam