ORBX and Dovetail Games

FSX including FSX Steam version.

ORBX and Dovetail Games

Postby Shadowcaster » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:56 pm

This is starting to look interesting

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/ ... rtnership/

Cheers
Rich

All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Re: ORBX and Dovetail Games

Postby Flacke » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:57 pm

Thanks Shadowcaster, this is extremely exciting. I totally and completely LOVE Orbx products. I have often wished that I could buy a new 64-bit high-quality Simulator that came with Orbx installed from day one. It appears that Dovetail Games intends to provide us all with a really good , modern Sim with all of the important factors and features built in. I wish them luck with their Sim products and I can't wait to see the end result.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Daube » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:36 am

The most interesting thing will be the performance of this new sim.
Because so far, it looks like it will simply be a 64bits FSX-Steam. To perform such a conversion, I suppose the developpers had to perform quite deep changes in the sim coding, so I'm really curious to see what they managed to fix or improve or optimize.
Since the new sim will include FTX Global from the start, we may have very soon some performance measurements over major airports. Even default major airports can kill FSX performance, without any addons at all. So it will be interesting to see how the 64 bits version behaves on the same places.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Shadowcaster » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:07 am

I'm wondering if any of our FS X add-ons will be compatible, particularly the pay-ware aircraft. :think: :think: I reckon some if not most will have to be otherwise they will miss out on a lot of sales from FS X users. :pray: :dance:

Cheers
Rich

All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby zswobbie1 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:15 am

Very exciting news.
From what I gather, they will be using Orbyx textures & not mesh.
Yes, being a 64bit sim, and not an upgradr/update of FSX, add-ons existing will not be compatible.
So, regard it as a totally new sim, starting from scratch.
From what I have discovered, it will be available from Steam & the Windows Store. If you get the sim from one, you will not be able to get add-ons from the other.
So, they are going the DLC route.
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby rooitou » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:48 am

And those of us who have been buying ORBX products (especially FTX Global) have essentially provided product development funding for this new flights sim which will have it built-in...
rooitou
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby pete » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:54 am

So this isn't anything to do with FSX?

(Incidentally I will never buy a sim where you cannot create and add freeware)

I'll be sticking with P3D and the ever developing Google Earth which far exceeds any payware scenery (or soon will)

Even default major airports can kill FSX performance, without any addons at all.

I'm one of the many who never experience any performance issues in FSX under any conditions ..... So it only causes issues in some systems, not all.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Daube » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:14 am

Well, you might want to write "the only pilot in the whole FS community" instead of "one of the many" on this case, Pete :/
Unfortunately, on all FS forums with no exception, everybody has ever complained about the terrible performance of FSX (and P3D) over large airports or special sceneries.
Of course, if you let your simulator completely empty (no additional sceneries, no AI traffic, light weather), the impact on the FPS when coming around an airport remains confortable.
If you do that again with a serious aircraft, the story is going to be different.
If you do that again with a serious scenery, the story is going to be even worse :D

I too can get good frames, like 40 to 50, over the default Seattle airport (which is one of the worse places in the default world)... and as soon as I get away from it with the same settings, my FPS raise up to 100 FPS or more. There definitely is a dramatic impact, 50 to 60% les FPS in that case. Sure, it's stlil flyable, but nobody want to fly in such conditions nowadays.

Concerning Dovetail new sims (there will be two of them), the only one which won't allow addons will be Flight School if I understood correctly. But that one is not for the simmers. The target audience are the casual gamers or non-simmers which would like an easy experience to discover the world of simulation. It's nothing more than an entrance door.
The other sim, DTFS (DoveTail Flight Simulator), is supposed to be open to addons. I don't see where anybody mentioned there wouldn't be addons ?
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam