Extremely terrible performance/FPS at KLAX

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Extremely terrible performance/FPS at KLAX

Postby Evan Popchock » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:21 pm

Does anybody know if there will be a fix for the low fps problem at Los Angeles International Airport on Flight Simulator X. I am currently using the latest version of Ray Smith's KLAX scenery and I have been experiencing terrible performance/low fps at this airport. I use FSPS Fiber accelerator and have tried reducing the graphics to try to improve frame rates, but I still get heavy stuttering/freezing/several minutes of my flight simulator being unresponsive, and this is kind of personal and embarrassing, but just a short while ago, I started a flight from Los Angeles to Seattle, and I veered off the runway during takeoff. Also had a rough landing at LAX earlier due to this issue. Any suggestions on what I can do to improve performance? I don't have my specs for my flight simulator computer readily accessible at this time, since I am typing this message on my laptop (which has windows 8 and doesn't have flight simulator x installed on it). I will provide the specs for my flight simulator computer later on if you need them.
In the meantime, I would appreciate any advice you guys may be able to offer me.
<<r
Evan
Evan Popchock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Extremely terrible performance/FPS at KLAX

Postby garymbuska » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:35 am

Evan Popchock wrote:Does anybody know if there will be a fix for the low fps problem at Los Angeles International Airport on Flight Simulator X. I am currently using the latest version of Ray Smith's KLAX scenery and I have been experiencing terrible performance/low fps at this airport. I use FSPS Fiber accelerator and have tried reducing the graphics to try to improve frame rates, but I still get heavy stuttering/freezing/several minutes of my flight simulator being unresponsive, and this is kind of personal and embarrassing, but just a short while ago, I started a flight from Los Angeles to Seattle, and I veered off the runway during takeoff. Also had a rough landing at LAX earlier due to this issue. Any suggestions on what I can do to improve performance? I don't have my specs for my flight simulator computer readily accessible at this time, since I am typing this message on my laptop (which has windows 8 and doesn't have flight simulator x installed on it). I will provide the specs for my flight simulator computer later on if you need them.
In the meantime, I would appreciate any advice you guys may be able to offer me.
<<r
Evan

Slow frame rates can be caused by several problems. We need to know what are your systems specs.
Ways to improve frame rates in no certain order is
1) Add more RAM 32 bit windows can only see 4.2 gigs of ram.
2) Tweak the FSX cfg file by reducing the number of trees created and other items that can help with frame rates
3) Last on the list is to update your system this is the most expensive method
If you look at my signature and others who show there specs as part of there signatures you will see the types of systems that are being used
I updated my system 2 years ago at a cost of about $850.00 or so
I had to buy a new mother board/ A new power supply/ a new graphic card / a new CPU/ New RAM / and a new version of windows 64 bit
I have recently replaced my Video card with a newer model
I am able to run FSX maxed out with no problems
One thing I missed if your CPU is a multicore CPU do not for get there is a tweak that allows you to use all of the cores. It can make a difference
<<v
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Evan Popchock » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:43 pm

garymbuska wrote:
Evan Popchock wrote:Does anybody know if there will be a fix for the low fps problem at Los Angeles International Airport on Flight Simulator X. I am currently using the latest version of Ray Smith's KLAX scenery and I have been experiencing terrible performance/low fps at this airport. I use FSPS Fiber accelerator and have tried reducing the graphics to try to improve frame rates, but I still get heavy stuttering/freezing/several minutes of my flight simulator being unresponsive, and this is kind of personal and embarrassing, but just a short while ago, I started a flight from Los Angeles to Seattle, and I veered off the runway during takeoff. Also had a rough landing at LAX earlier due to this issue. Any suggestions on what I can do to improve performance? I don't have my specs for my flight simulator computer readily accessible at this time, since I am typing this message on my laptop (which has windows 8 and doesn't have flight simulator x installed on it). I will provide the specs for my flight simulator computer later on if you need them.
<<r
Evan

Slow frame rates can be caused by several problems. We need to know what are your systems specs.
Ways to improve frame rates in no certain order is
1) Add more RAM 32 bit windows can only see 4.2 gigs of ram.
2) Tweak the FSX cfg file by reducing the number of trees created and other items that can help with frame rates
3) Last on the list is to update your system this is the most expensive method
If you look at my signature and others who show there specs as part of there signatures you will see the types of systems that are being used
I updated my system 2 years ago at a cost of about $850.00 or so
I had to buy a new mother board/ A new power supply/ a new graphic card / a new CPU/ New RAM / and a new version of windows 64 bit
I have recently replaced my Video card with a newer model
I am able to run FSX maxed out with no problems
One thing I missed if your CPU is a multicore CPU do not for get there is a tweak that allows you to use all of the cores. It can make a difference
<<v
I will check back after I get the system specs for my other computer. <<v
Evan Popchock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Victory103 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:04 pm

I use all of Ray's work, even if it's an airport I don't normally visit in the sim. My low FPS are based on the amount of AI I have in this area of Cali, turn that off and back to normal. Lately with newer versions of ADEX, Ray is not using a separate .obj. bgl, I can only suggest making sure you do not have multiple .bgls for LAX.
Victory103
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Evan Popchock » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:08 pm

I have my computer specs here as follows:

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Athlon II X4 630 100 °F
Propus 45nm Technology
RAM
2.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 401MHz (5-5-5-18)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M3N78-VM (AM2) 117 °F
Graphics
LM942 (1280x1024@60Hz)
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8200 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 160 °F
Storage
465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-00UU3A0 ATA Device (SATA) 106 °F
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS40 ATA Device
Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Evan Popchock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby PhilFly » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:53 am

Hi,

In my opinion 2 GB ram is too low for Windows 7.

I have a very simular configuration as yours with 4 GB and it works perfectly. In addition such an update is not expensive.

Regards

Philippe
PhilFly
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby pegger » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:54 am

Your computer is low end on specs and I'm not surprised you struggle with performance. That processor is not ideal for gaming. What you've got is equivalent to a netbook.

I would start considering some upgrades if you want to use high detail scenery with any success. There is no magic wand that will help your computer run the software any faster than it can. Add more RAM and upgrade your GPU. That should be the first step to help reduce the low FPS and stuttering. You will still struggle with such a weak processor though. FSX is heavily dependent on the CPU. A new processor wouldn't hurt, if you can get a faster clock speed with the same socket.

The only other option is to turn your sliders down until you get a stop to the stutters, but then you are going to have to deal with low res textures and bland scenery. It will also help to make sure you are not running any unnecessary programs or apps in the background on your computer while you are simming.

If you are running FSX in full screen, you can try it in Windowed mode. It does make a difference also.

Good luck
pegger
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Evan Popchock » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:40 pm

pegger wrote:Your computer is low end on specs and I'm not surprised you struggle with performance. That processor is not ideal for gaming. What you've got is equivalent to a netbook.

I would start considering some upgrades if you want to use high detail scenery with any success. There is no magic wand that will help your computer run the software any faster than it can. Add more RAM and upgrade your GPU. That should be the first step to help reduce the low FPS and stuttering. You will still struggle with such a weak processor though. FSX is heavily dependent on the CPU. A new processor wouldn't hurt, if you can get a faster clock speed with the same socket.

The only other option is to turn your sliders down until you get a stop to the stutters, but then you are going to have to deal with low res textures and bland scenery. It will also help to make sure you are not running any unnecessary programs or apps in the background on your computer while you are simming.

If you are running FSX in full screen, you can try it in Windowed mode. It does make a difference also.

Good luck

This is very helpful advice, and truth be told, I am actually planning to have one of my local computer tech services perform a few upgrades to my hard drive at some point this year, if I can somehow fit it into my schedule. I was going to have the operating system upgraded, in addition to which I was also going to ask them to install a second hard drive on my computer (something that is in Terabytes).
And from what you just told me, I think I may also ask them to upgrade my RAM and GPU processor. :geek: Meantime, I think what I will try is when I am flying at LAX, I will try reducing the graphics and switching to windowed mode.
Evan Popchock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Flacke » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:13 pm

Hello Evan. In my opinion, if you want to take part in the joys of flying FSX with enhanced scenery etc. you need too many upgrades to your present 'puter.
The very best course would be to get a new computer with a more powerful CPU, fast RAM, and decent GPU plus a good-sized quality branded PowerSupply of 500 watts or so .

To do your required upgrades will cost you almost as much as a new computer and you will still have old components that can start to fail. You also now have a pretty basic power supply most likely. Whatever you decide. I hope you can fly FSX with good performance in the end.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:21 am

With just 2 gigs of ram I am surprised your running FSX at all. Like others have said I would not bother updating this system but look into getting a better one.
That is what I did If you can build it yourself or have someone help you you can get more bang for your buck. The system you see in my signature cost me around $850.00
Now mind you I spread this out over several months spending only $100.00 to $200.00 at a time. I also shopped around getting things from different places.
The Video card I now have was just over a $100.00 tax tag and title ,
For me building a system is far better than buying a store bought system. But I know not everyone can do this. But honestly it is not that hard really. Your biggest concern is the CPU You have to make sure it is installed correctly and has a good thermal connection to the heat sink. I know all of the wires and plugs can scare you but they can only be put in the correct connector making it difficult to get them wrong.
Lots of luck <<t
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:17 am

I had been building and upgrading my various Computer systems for 20+ years until I finally got fed up with finding that my add-on bits and bobs of hardware, and software/operating system, no longer matched each other....

...and it was far better to purchase a complete new Tower Computer with everything I need to play all my computer games with all my settings at max!

So at sales time, on special offer, the super-dooper i7, 3.9GHZ Advent Tower system cropped up in my local PC Store at a delightful price of £640/927USD!

No more screwdrivers and sharp metal and bleeding fingers, opening computer cases and fixing/adding things!... ;) ...!

I just switch on, connect to Uncle Bill's Windows 8.1, 64-bit system, and let my speedy i7 processor and graphics card blast the advancing aliens out of the sky/space with my Inter-stellar, Hyper-drive, Photon-Torpedo, Star Fighter!.... :dance: ...!

(A vivid imagination is a wonderful thing!)... :D ...!

Details in my Signature.... ;) ...!

Paul....I need more space dust to fuel my twin Ion Engines... :lol: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Steve M » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:22 pm

This person agrees with the above three comments. I have a system much like Fozzers for 900 bucks (22 inch screens though). I have blown to much money trying to save old PCs. On the down side you will probably have to take the OEM that the machine comes with and then reinstall all that stuff you have as addons. ^-^
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby Evan Popchock » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:27 pm

considering the advice I have gotten from those of you who may be experts, I have a new plan in place: I want my computer to last long enough to have an upgrade done to it. Guess I need to cut back on long-haul flights.........I have already started looking online for ways to upgrade my system memory. One other thing I can do is, since I have a lot of aircraft installed on my flight simulator (over 900), I am going to take some aircraft addons into temporary storage in a folder on my desktop to decrease my flight sim's load while I do a flight.

<<r
Evan Popchock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Evan Popchock » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:52 pm

This is an update to my last message....My flight simulator computer finally gave up the ghost last night. No longer boots up anymore. Spent the whole afternoon today window-shopping for a new device. :|
Evan Popchock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby striker » Sat May 07, 2016 2:55 pm

It's funny that PC's actually haven't developed that much in recent years. It used to be that they would double performance every 2 years. Not now. My machine I bought way back in about 2011 is still pretty current and runs FSXA no problem. 64bit. 8GB ram, I5 processor. OK they've updated things a bit but not that much in all that time. Guess most development now is going into mobile devices
striker
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam