Extremely terrible performance/FPS at KLAX

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Re: Extremely terrible performance/FPS at KLAX

Postby Flacke » Sun May 08, 2016 1:04 am

striker wrote:It's funny that PC's actually haven't developed that much in recent years. It used to be that they would double performance every 2 years. Not now. My machine I bought way back in about 2011 is still pretty current and runs FSXA no problem. 64bit. 8GB ram, I5 processor. OK they've updated things a bit but not that much in all that time. Guess most development now is going into mobile devices

You are so right. My "other" computer is from early 2008. It is a 3ghz dual core with 4 gigs slow ram [3.5 gigs usable due to running Windows XP], 32 bit , Gts-450 video card. It runs FSX very well and it was my main computer until just recently.
That is pretty darn good, and we still use it almost daily for various things. I hope my current computer has a useful life that is that long, but I doubt it. Due to the current developments in Flight-Sims and complex aircraft to go with them , I think that new high-perf. computers may be needed to really run them well.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Evan Popchock » Wed May 11, 2016 4:41 pm

striker wrote:It's funny that PC's actually haven't developed that much in recent years. It used to be that they would double performance every 2 years. Not now. My machine I bought way back in about 2011 is still pretty current and runs FSXA no problem. 64bit. 8GB ram, I5 processor. OK they've updated things a bit but not that much in all that time. Guess most development now is going into mobile devices

Well, I am going to be getting a high-end device that meets my flight simulator's requirements. My original device had only 2 gigs of RAM/low-end graphics capacity of 256 mb.
Evan Popchock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Flacke » Wed May 11, 2016 7:46 pm

EVAN, very glad to hear about your computer upgrade. You will be thrilled with your Flight-Sim performance and experiences . Enjoy.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Azframer » Sat May 14, 2016 10:16 am

Evan Popchock wrote:I have my computer specs here as follows:

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Athlon II X4 630 100 °F
Propus 45nm Technology
RAM
2.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 401MHz (5-5-5-18)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M3N78-VM (AM2) 117 °F
Graphics
LM942 (1280x1024@60Hz)
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8200 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 160 °F
Storage
465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-00UU3A0 ATA Device (SATA) 106 °F
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS40 ATA Device
Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

I am flying on a ACER laptop myself feeling your pain. I am on a lapyop due to living off the grid and big desktop computers pull a lot of power. 2 gig of ram is way low, surprised you are not ticking like a clock a the simplest airports. Get you a good thumbdrive or SDHC card, I use one of each in my laptop both of mine are 4 gigs empty I use all that free ram Readyboost. Right click the drive go to properties look for tab Readyboost. Use all that is there click apply. You should be able to do 2 max, I think 4 gigs will be max each. it will make a big difference.

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Azframer » Sat May 14, 2016 11:07 am

Evan Popchock wrote:This is an update to my last message....My flight simulator computer finally gave up the ghost last night. No longer boots up anymore. Spent the whole afternoon today window-shopping for a new device. :|

Posted the one comment about Readyboost and then see you are no longer booting. Window shopping for a new computer now. I had always built my own desktops before I moved off the grid, once I get my power better situated I will build another.
People who have never built a computer before usually never clean them out. With all the fans sucking in air they get quite dusty inside. If you are lucky you may have have a dust bridge causing a short. Press power and the fans start to run and then quit likely the case, mainboard detects it and shuts down. If that is the case then get you a couple cans of air open the case and do your best to get all the dust out. Do not shake the cans of air, you will spray liquid into your computer, not good!
It could be just your power supply that died, those you can get pretty cheap and not hard to replace. If it starts and runs no video it will usually beep, video card will most likely be the problem. If it starts run but says it can't find operating system you might hear repeated clicking sound, AKA click of death, hard drive failure.
If you try to tackle any thing inside your computer at this point you can't make it worse than it is now. in any case if you do just unplug from wall and cycle power to discharge any power in power supply. If you happen to replace a video card just remember keep contact with computer case with your arm or wear static band keeping you grounded to case, you don't want static jumping from new card to mainboard. any cabling have keyways and can only be plugged in one way just remeber where they were plugged in.

good luck with it

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Evan Popchock » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:15 pm

To everyone who helped me out with this issue a long time ago, performance on my upgraded machine has been much better with almost no slow performance at major airports, now that i have a Solid State Drive and more RAM. here and there, there will be frame rate hits but they're barely noticeable
Evan Popchock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam