Dell XPS 8700. Is it FSX (Steam Edition) friendly?

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Dell XPS 8700. Is it FSX (Steam Edition) friendly?

Postby aroundtheclock » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:46 pm

I just recently purchased a Dell XPS 8700 computer and I'm in the process of choosing between Flight Simulator 2004 and Flight Simulator X (SE) for my new computer. However, before I decide, I need to know if my computer is capable of handling the most recent flight simulator (FSX: SE - my preferred choice).

My computer specs are as follows:

-Windows 8.1

-4th Generation Intel® Core i7-4790 processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)

-16 GB DDR3L

-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB DDR3 video card

-2 TB hard drive with 7.200 1/min.

I've read polarising view points on whether this system is able to smoothly and efficiently run FSX: SE. I'm really quite eager to start with a flight simulator game again and would greatly appreciate some thoughtful insight into this. Thanks!

O0
aroundtheclock
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Dell XPS 8700. Is it FSX (Steam Edition) friendly?

Postby Steve M » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:42 pm

I would say you shouldn't have a problem with FSX SE or a boxed edition. My first machine that I had FSX on was half those specs and I was able to bring the sim to life with some tweaks. Although Dell wouldn't have been my first choice..
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby papituwall » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:53 am

No problem with your specs.
I have an HP Pavilion i7 2.7 Ghz, 8Gb memory, upgraded from a GTX260 2Gb to a GTX660 2Gb (in order to have DX11).
All I can say is that FSX-SE runs perfect and has been like "plug and play", no tweaks needed, no Nvidia Inspector adjustments. Dovetail has done a great job.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby garymbuska » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:19 am

If you use the steam version you will not have to worry about any privileges as this will not instal into the Program Files folder.
In either case you specs or more than enough to run either version full blast. You can see my specs in my signature and I am running it full blast locked frame rates at 20 .
If you have a second drive handy FSX will run better installed on it that is what I do but I built my system from scratch and have two internal drives and 1 external USB 3.2 drive.
That is one of the advantages of building your system instead of buying a store bought one. Some are hard or impossible to add extra internal drives on.
<<s
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby aroundtheclock » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:13 am

Thanks for the replies!

I haven't installed one yet; I'm still torn between the two. I'm not looking forward to having to do some of the tweaking with FSX: SE to get it working properly that I've read about on a couple different boards. I've been away from the Flight Simulator world for several years and have forgotten all there is to know about it and I know that I'm going to have a difficult time moving files and folders and all that (I know I'll have to manually move the location of my add-ons in order for them to work in the Steam Edition). I like the ease of installing and just going with FS9 BUT not the lack of current add-ons that FSX has. So I really don't know what to do. But now that you say that I should have no problem playing this on my computer, that's at least taken away one of my problems.

papituwall - Are you able to play FS: SE on max settings; have you run into any problems with it on full settings?

garymbuska - Can I message you for assistance if I decide to add an additional drive to my computer?

:ugeek:
aroundtheclock
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fozzer » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:08 am

What I would recommend....

Just install FSX...and there you go!

Start off with the default stuff, do a few adjustments, see what you think of it....then start to improve it..slowly!

I have FSX Boxed, and FSX SE, and FS 2004 all on my hard drive, all running flat out on my settings!

Just pop them on your HDD...nuffin' to lose!

Paul.... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby aroundtheclock » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:19 am

Thank you Fozzer! I think I'm finally ready to install it (FSX: SE). Wish me luck, yeah. <<q
aroundtheclock
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam