Change SELECT AIRCRAFT Category?

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Change SELECT AIRCRAFT Category?

Postby vpnavy » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:56 pm

I am running Microsoft Flight Simulator X Acceleration.

I believe that requires a change to my airplane.cfg file? Not sure - and that is my problem.

I have attached a few pictures to hopefully clarify my objective. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Currently, these are my Aircraft Categories.

Two of my ASW aircraft show up under Legacy.

I want to have those two aircaft listed with my Neptune in Category Anti-Submarine Warfare.
vpnavy
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Change SELECT AIRCRAFT Category?

Postby captcaveman » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:09 pm

open the cfg file and look for this line
ui_typerole="Legacy"

there will be 1 for each livery

change it to read
ui_typerole="Anti-Submarine Warfare"
captcaveman
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby vpnavy » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:34 pm

Thanks captcaveman for the quick reply.

I did a search and the only files (aircraft.cfg) with ui_typerole= are Air Creation Tike (Single Engine Prop) and P2V-7 Neptune (Anti-Submarine Warfare). No other files are flagged.

FWIW - NO other files had ui_typerole="Legacy" mentioned. Only Air Creation Tike (Single Engine Prop) and P2V-7 Neptune (Anti-Submarine Warfare) were found.

I did jump into the aircraft.cfg file for both the P-3C and P8 and added ui_typerole="Anti-Submarine Warfare" but nothing changed.

Like my grand daughter says: "oh well!"

Thanks again for your help.
vpnavy
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby serbir » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:37 am

Try the following:
1. Open the aircraft.cfg file, with your favorite text editor, of the aircraft(s) you wish their type changed under the aircraft selection window.
2. Under each [flightsim.x] section, where x might be 0,1,..,n according to the different repaints you have for that particular plane, search for a line reading ui_typerole
3. If you find such lines then change their contents to ui_typerole="Anti-Submarine Warfare" as suggested by captcaveman
4. If there are no such lines then ADD them, for each and every [flightsim.x] in the file, locate them close to the other ui_xxx lines you find there (this is
not mandatory but helps keeping related items together)

Hope this helps
serbir
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby vpnavy » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:44 am

Try the following:
1. Open the aircraft.cfg file, with your favorite text editor, of the aircraft(s) you wish their type changed under the aircraft selection window.

I USE NOTETAB PRO to open aircraft.cfg file.

2. Under each [flightsim.x] section, where x might be 0,1,..,n according to the different repaints you have for that particular plane, search for a line reading ui_typerole
ONLY MY P2 (WHICH WORKS PROPERLY) HAS UI_TYPEROLE DESCRIPTION.
MY P-3 and P-8 DON'T HAVE UI_TYPEROLE

3. If you find such lines then change their contents to ui_typerole="Anti-Submarine Warfare" as suggested by captcaveman
ONLY MY P2 (WHICH WORKS PROPERLY) HAS UI_TYPEROLE DESCRIPTION.
MY P-3 and P-8 DON'T HAVE UI_TYPEROLE

4. If there are no such lines then ADD them, for each and every [flightsim.x] in the file, locate them close to the other ui_xxx lines you find there (this is
not mandatory but helps keeping related items together)

ADDED ui_typerole="Anti-Submarine Warfare" BELOW LAST UI_ IN EACH flightsim.x

NOPPA - NO JOY - DOESN'T WORK.
vpnavy
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby vpnavy » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:39 pm

Figured out the problem. Apparently, I make the changes and then save it. HOWEVER, I tried saving it to another directory and then copying it over. This time - my system asks if I have ADMIN Priv's - I say yes and guess what? YUPPA - it works. Apparently, when I saved it I didn't have the correct Priv's and it never saved.

Sorry for all the trouble gang.

Thanks again.
vpnavy
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby dbob0921 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:19 pm

Also, there is a (debatably) easier way, which could save you some time. If you select the aircraft.cfg --> Right Click --> Properties --> Security --> Edit --> Users --> Full Control --> Apply --> Okay --> Okay, it will have the same effect. I normally do this when I add aircraft to the cfg file, and with practise, it can be completed very quickly.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”Leonardo da Vinci
dbob0921
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby vpnavy » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:07 pm

dbob0921 wrote:Also, there is a (debatably) easier way, which could save you some time. If you select the aircraft.cfg --> Right Click --> Properties --> Security --> Edit --> Users --> Full Control --> Apply --> Okay --> Okay, it will have the same effect. I normally do this when I add aircraft to the cfg file, and with practise, it can be completed very quickly.

Thank you very much. That will make my life a lot easier since I am constantly making changes to all my cfg's (playing around, etc.).

Again - thanks!
vpnavy
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby dbob0921 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:45 pm

No problem! I stumbled upon the method a few months ago, and it has saved me HOURS!
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”Leonardo da Vinci
dbob0921
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby dbob0921 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:51 pm

Also, completely irrelevant, but NICE PLANES!
dbob0921
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby vpnavy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:43 pm

dbob0921 wrote:Also, completely irrelevant, but NICE PLANES!

Unfortunately, I got out before the P-8 was available.
vpnavy
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam