Can I still buy FSX Steam Edition?

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Can I still buy FSX Steam Edition?

Postby Alawishes » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:02 pm

Greetings all, new member here. I'm stuck with my old XP computer and I've been running FS 2004, but it looks like if I upgrade to FSX I can run multiple monitors with front quartering and side live views.... I couldn't figure out how to do that on FS 2004. Question: can I still buy/download FSX Steam Edition? I tried logging onto their site but it seems I can't register. My plan B would be to buy/install FSX Gold Edition, but if I do that can I still download the service packs?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thx, al.
Alawishes
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Can I still buy FSX Steam Edition?

Postby Daube » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:36 pm

Welcome to the forums.
You can still buy FSX on Steam. If you can't register there, maybe there's an issue with the email address you are using, or maybe the confirmation emails are reaching directly into your spam folder instead of your inbox.
FSX Steam edition is sold for around 25 dollars if I'm not mistaken, which is a little bit high price. There are sometimes some sales which lower the price down to 12 dollars or so, which is much more interesting.

FSX Gold should be avoided as much as you can. The installation process is unstable and requires a manual activation through a voice server, it seems. And you will still need to download the two support packages.
FSX on Steam includes all support packages and the Acceleration pack too, so it's a much nicer package, installed with just a few mouse clicks.

That being said, I have never used a multi-monitor setup, so I can't really advise on that aspect.
I don't know if FSX will work well on your old hardware either, that's another problem.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Alawishes » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:09 pm

Thanks for your reply Daube..... great info. No Gold, Steam it is! I've had good luck today registering. so just the purchase and download to go. I use a Mac for my workhorse computer but I'm not sure if I can download the Steam Edition to the Mac, copy the file to a memory stick and install on my XP machine or if the download will include the installation as well. My XP machine is not currently hooked up to the internet, but maybe I have to go there. Cheers, al.
Alawishes
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Daube » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:19 am

I'm not sure you can copy the files like that, unfortunately :/
However, even if your computer is not "plugged" into the internet, you may still be able to share the internet connection of your phone ?
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Alawishes » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:11 pm

i tried buying the FSX Steam edition through my Mac, but would like to have it on my XP machine, not the Mac, so I got a refund. I couldn't find any info on their website about this and nobody to answer my questions -- it seems a sign of the times. If I temporarily hook up to the internet to download FSX Steam, does anyone know if I need to be online to use it each time?
Alawishes
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby logjam » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:06 am

Hi there, let me see. Yes, you can hook your XP machine to the internet to download Steam and set up an account. Be aware though, your XP machine is vulnerable to all sorts of hacks while you are connected. You'll have to download steam first, which might encounter errors, but multiple tries will get it for you. Then you can purchase FSX Steam and download it. It will be extremely slow on your XP. The big problem is you'll need to hook up to the internet to download 'planes and scenery goodies. I encountered problems downloading a new fsx steam to my xp laptop, however, steam lets you download it to an external HD. You don't have to download to the "C" drive.
logjam
Major
Major

Postby Daube » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:14 am

I would agree that connecting an old machine with Windows XP might not be the best idea...
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam