More Doom for FSX?

FSX including FSX Steam version.

More Doom for FSX?

Postby Hawkeye07 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:08 pm

I just read this announcement on another flightsim website:

So it appears that those who are interested in new aircraft or newer models in the future are going to be forced to switch to P3Dv.4. I might go voluntarily when they get things settled and quit with the numerous updates but I don't like being "forced" into something. So I guess the solution for now is to forget about new payware from the developers who have cut off FSX and be happy with what I have until that time when I really want to switch over to another flight sim platform. This also sucks for those folks who have switched to P3D but only have versions P3D v2 or v3 since they are in 32 bit format too.

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Re: More Doom for FSX

Postby tjitah » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:31 pm

Sad day, but I didn't like the Captain Sim policy of having to purchase a completely separate version of their existing aircraft for P3D v4, instead of the free or small upgrade fee that many other developers charge. So I've kind of lost interest in Captain Sim anyway, no real loss to me.

And I too, have not purchased P3D v4 yet, due to the constant updates. Plus many developers are using it as an excuse to charge crazy prices, or milk us for yet another purchase (like Captain Sim and A2A)
i7-4790K @ 4.6 GHz, ASUS Maximus VII Gene, GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3 2400MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Rift, Windows 7 64-bit
tjitah
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Canuck1955 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:16 pm

Name another sim/game that is still viable after 12 years. Only one that I can think of and that is FS2004 at 15 years.

I only ever bought 2 Capt Sim products, the Mig 21 for FS2002, which got support by the company after a fashion into FS2004 and the 727 for FS2004. They were never great at support anyhoo so I won't be missing their absence.
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Flacke » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:11 pm

No big deal for me at all.
I will continue to enjoy FSX-SE until the day comes that I want 64bit. At that time I will most likely ADD X-Plane as long as they have the Add-on Scenery that I want. Then I will fly both FSX-SE and X-Plane depending upon what kind of flight I plan to do that day.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby cevans » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:13 am

I think there are 10's 1000's fans, maybe more, all over who will continue to use FSX, FS2004 etc for many years to come.
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby B0ikat » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:26 am

I don't see the "doom" for FSX any more than the Pontiac brand going extinct was "doom" for driving.
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:26 am

Quite a silly comment, actually. Captain Sim is not the only payware supplier out there, & are there still payware vendors for Fs2002?
In any case, FSX in it's various forms, & FS2004 will still be supported for many years.
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:46 am

I stopped using Captain SIM along time ago so I say good riddance
there are other sites that still support FSX and FSX steam
I will continue to use FSX FSX STEAM and FS2004 as long as it will run on WINDOWS
Sadly though I know it is only a matter of time when FSX and FS2004 will no longer run on a 64 BIT system Not sure about FSX STEAM it might last longer
To bad someone can not convert it to a 64 bit program. But I do not think Microsoft will allow that to happen but one can only hope.
8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Re: More Doom for FSX?

Postby Canuck1955 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:28 pm

Thinking on the subject, FSX has had a great run and the boost because of Steam. However it is noticeable that third party files at the main sites are well down and MSFS based forums, traffic has slowed to a crawl. FSX is largely dead and XP has prevailed. There is little in the way pf P3D by comparison to XP. Many being put off by the ridiculous licensing agreement.
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby ftldave » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:08 pm

Canuck1955 wrote:However it is noticeable that third party files at the main sites are well down and MSFS based forums, traffic has slowed to a crawl. FSX is largely dead and XP has prevailed.

I think we must be living in alternate universes because I'm downloading new FSX and FSX-P3D aircraft, sceneries, and the occasional utility almost every day. I bought about $100 worth of FSXScenery airports just last month.

The demise of FSX and FSX-SE is being greatly exaggerated.

As for Captain Sim, great manuals, like their B-52 BUFF docs, but not very noteworthy aircraft models. I won't miss them as they transition from the hobbyist-recreation market to the academic-education-software-developer software market. :lol:
ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Flacke » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:38 am

garymbuska wrote:I will continue to use FSX FSX STEAM and FS2004

To bad someone can not convert it to a 64 bit program. But I do not think Microsoft will allow that to happen but one can only hope.
8-)

That is exactly what I have been thinking. I don't know positively whether converting FSX to 64 bit is technically possible but I really wish that it is. It may just be difficult and time-consuming. If so, if someone took on the task of making FSX 64-bit it would be a huge boost for the Sim. The competition from a 64bit FSX would keep the others honest and help keep prices down.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby cevans » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:40 am

I will continue to use FSX FSX STEAM and FS2004

To bad someone can not convert it to a 64 bit program. But I do not think Microsoft will allow that to happen but one can only hope

They have. It's called P3D
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Hawkeye07 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:48 am

The impression I got from the above article was that the payware developers are starting to look beyond FSX for their future developments. Personally I think they are a bit premature since many of us are still solid FSX users and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future. So what if FSX has been around for 12 years. In that time the freeware and payware aircraft, scenery and other addons such as FS Tramp and TacPack have come a long way and still make FSX worth having. So to claim that FSX is dead as their justification for no longer developing products for FSX I think is a pretty weak excuse. I think it has more to do with the bottom line. With P3D there is more profit potential and that's their motivation for dropping FSX.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Daube » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:28 am

The thing is: the amount FSX users is decreasing very fast, and the amount of P3Dv4 users is increasing very fast.
An addon creator must choose between 32 and 64 bit platforms. Spending time to develop for both platforms is just a waste of time.

However, this is will not prevent anybody from enjoying FSX.
After all, when addon makers all switched to FSX and abandoned FS9 (for the very same reasons), people still continued to fly FS9.
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:02 pm

Daube wrote:The thing is: the amount FSX users is decreasing very fast, and the amount of P3Dv4 users is increasing very fast.
An addon creator must choose between 32 and 64 bit platforms. Spending time to develop for both platforms is just a waste of time.

However, this is will not prevent anybody from enjoying FSX.
After all, when addon makers all switched to FSX and abandoned FS9 (for the very same reasons), people still continued to fly FS9.

But here's a question that I have no idea how to answer: IS the amount of FSX users decreasing very fast? Are P3Dv4 users increasing very fast?

Where's the data supporting this?

I've been wondering about this for some time now; the transition from one flightsim platform to another usually takes how long?

Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Next

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam