Problems with booting up FSX

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Problems with booting up FSX

Postby cavallo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:36 am

When I boot up FSX I| get a series of notices saying certain ares cant be found and have to continuously click on these to get the sim booted up. What can I do.Cavallo
cavallo
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Problems with booting up FSX

Postby Daube » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:36 am

This usually happens when you delete a scenery (delete the folder) without removing it from the scenery library in the sim.
Have you removed or moved any folders from your FSX\addon_scenery\ recently ?
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby cavallo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:36 pm

No I have not. Cavallo. Would a reasonable approach be to reinstall the, although they appear to still be on the menu. Cavallo
cavallo
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Jetranger » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:14 pm

NOTE :

A FSX User will get those type of messages whenever a scenery is Deleted , or the scenery "FOLDERS MOVED", from their original input.

maybe YOU didn't delete any scenery folders, but, have you MOVED any scenery folders around ?????

maybe a security program deleted some files as suspicious ?????

reminder, a user 1st has to go into the actual FLIGHT SIM program 1st to the scenery area and delete them 1st, before removing any FOLDERS / FILES from within the FSX sub-folders structure , very important ~ !!!!

Jetranger
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby FabioL » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:31 am

May I recommend “Scenery Config Editor”?

This is a free and easy to use SCENERY.CFG program thatvwill at least help you visualise issues clearly, though you will still need to know how to correct entries.

Anyway, give it a go, I have used for years and it is utterly invaluable even for experienced users!

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/

Post back if you have questions.
FabioL
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby cavallo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:42 am

I have downloaded the config program but don 't know how it will help me under these circumstances. I am very tempted to uninstall the whole damn thing!! Cavallo
cavallo
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby FabioL » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:54 am

You will first need to enter the path to your scenery.cfg.

Once that is done. The program will show you what scenery areas you have installed, from default to payware and freeware.

If errors are present, it will show you with a Red Cross, making problem easily identifiable, and from there you can either delete the entry from the CFG or understand how best to correct it.

You could reorganise your Scenery library and activate or deactivate areas as you need, so things aren’t loaded without needing to be.

Many SCE tutorials can be found on YouTube, here’s a link to one of them:
https://youtu.be/W-DMMMse3UA

Please don’t uninstall FSX, I’m sure it’s correctable!
FabioL
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby cavallo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:47 pm

Many thanks for your interest. I think you are correct because the rest of the sim is working fine. I did not find the youtube example easy to follow, and will try and find something in text. Regards Cavallo.
cavallo
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby FabioL » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:46 pm

OK, hope it goes well.
FabioL
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby cavallo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:07 pm

I notice that you are based in guildford. I live in Westcott. Is there any possibility of our getting together? Cavallo
cavallo
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby FabioL » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:16 am

It’s possible but not easy.

Instead, if you are familiar with TeamViewer, I could remote into your PC which will present me with your desktop, and I could see and fix things in this way.

If you have a headset, then it’s also possible to talk using TeamViewer.

This is how I sometimes help other users at South West Flight Sim Group.
FabioL
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby cavallo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:16 pm

I will try and set this up, but will have to wait for my son-inlaw and/ or grandson to visit. Again, many thanks for your interest. Cavallo
cavallo
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby FabioL » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:52 pm

Hi,
You are very welcome.
Setting up and checking the scenery.cfg file can only be done on the PC with a problem, so sending me your cfg file would be meaningless without the rest of the installation.
Have you managed to setup the scenery file config editor yet? This I can do, but I would need to connect to your machine, but of course there is risk to both parties in doing such a thing with people that you don’t know.
Once SCE is running, it visually depicts where problems exist, and from there it can be a matter of finding lost entries or deleting problem entries.
What you could try to do is to attach the scenery.cfg file here for us to look at, and perhaps even restore it to a default state.
Anyway, I wish you well with this, and if you need help just add a comment to this call.
Best wishes,
Fabio
FabioL
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby cavallo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:09 pm

I have no objection to you having remote control of my computer. I have downloaded the scenery config prog. and also Team Viewer. Please tell me what information you require from me in order to gain control of my computer.
cavallo
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby FabioL » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:06 pm

Hi,

You will first of all need to install TramViewer, which will give you an ID for your machine.
We will both start TeamViewer, and I will connect to you, and for this I will need a session password that will appear on your TeamViewer.

I would be delighted to install and configure Scenery Config Editor and then show you how to use it.

We would need to talk, and to do this we could use landlines or mobiles, or the built-in chat facility that TeamViewer has, but for this you would need a headset (or at least a microphone and speakers).

We should not give out our personal details here on this post (of course) so we will move to private messages (PM) at the top of this forum.

I will send you a PM now, and hopefully I will see a reply from you shortly (I’ll check tomorrow after work or evening).

Best wishes,
Fabio
FabioL
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam