Norton and scenery.cfg issue

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Norton and scenery.cfg issue

Postby lancer24 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:51 pm

Hi, I am not quite sure what or how it may have happened, but I think my Norton anti virus or Norton Internet Security or something Norton related removed/un-installed a scenery file. I have several Megascenery Earth U.S. states installed and while I was just cruising around my F:\ checking to see where I mis-placed a traffic file from MAIW (I removed from scenery-world-scenery because I was installing an upgrade traffic file they came out with), I looked into the _uninstall folder to see if I may of mistakenly dragged it into that folder and in doing so, a Norton flag appeared that said something to the effect that it detected a bad file and that it needed to deal with it and re-start the computer. After computer restart I started FSX and got the message...Scenery.Cfg file error. local scenery directory F:\Megascenery Earth\DelawareV3\Delaware\SCEI in scenery area.225 not found. Click to continue. I was wondering if maybe re-installing Delaware would fix the problem or is it something more serious than that? Any and all help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
lancer24
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Norton and scenery.cfg issue

Postby garymbuska » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:46 am

lancer24 wrote:Hi, I am not quite sure what or how it may have happened, but I think my Norton anti virus or Norton Internet Security or something Norton related removed/un-installed a scenery file. I have several Megascenery Earth U.S. states installed and while I was just cruising around my F:\ checking to see where I mis-placed a traffic file from MAIW (I removed from scenery-world-scenery because I was installing an upgrade traffic file they came out with), I looked into the _uninstall folder to see if I may of mistakenly dragged it into that folder and in doing so, a Norton flag appeared that said something to the effect that it detected a bad file and that it needed to deal with it and re-start the computer. After computer restart I started FSX and got the message...Scenery.Cfg file error. local scenery directory F:\Megascenery Earth\DelawareV3\Delaware\SCEI in scenery area.225 not found. Click to continue. I was wondering if maybe re-installing Delaware would fix the problem or is it something more serious than that? Any and all help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Norton will sometimes remove files it thinks is bad but it does not permanently remove them instead it quarantines them all you have to do is to open Norton and look under the quarantine section select the file and then select to restore and check the box that says exclude this file in the future. If you reinstall it Norton will only remove it again unless you do as I stated.

This is what is called a false positive. I have the same problem though I have not had it remove anything from FS as of yet.
I should caution you to make sure the file in question came from a well known site as it is likely it could have something nasty in it. 8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:33 am

This question might have been better posted in Payware.
Megascenery Earth appears to be a reputable outfit & their products are presumably free of "bad" files.

Without knowing how their installation software works I would first start FSX & delete any reference to DelawareV3 from the Scenery Library.
Then exit FSX & reinstall the Delaware scenery. I suspect that would fix your error message.

After reading reports of problems with Norton over the years I wouldn't have it anywhere near my PC.
This is just one example --> https://forums.simviation.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=177568&p=1300699&hilit=norton#p1300699

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby lancer24 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:39 pm

Hi, following your instructions I went into FSX scenery library and deleted DelawareV3 in there. Then I went to Control panel then programs and features and un-installed DelawareV3 from there. Then I re-installed DelawareV3 and...all is well again :) DelawareV3 scenery installed and loaded without flaw. Thanks again for all your help and support. In the future I will be more wary of Norton and its shenanigans it can pull.
lancer24
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:48 am

Excellent! Glad my advice worked. 8-)

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam