Turbo prop runups

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

Turbo prop runups

Postby MattNW » Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:35 pm

Does anyone know a realistic flight sim procedure for doing a runup in a turboprop airplane. I know what to do for the smaller planes like the Cessnas but for something like the King Air or other turbo prop planes about all I know to do is check the control surfaces. In the flight sim the turbo prop planes are simplified but is there a procedure that will work in MSFS that I could use?
In Memory of John Consterdine (FS Tipster)1962-2003
MattNW
Major
Major

Re: Turbo prop runups

Postby VPA_KTPA » Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:31 pm

If you really want to go by the book look for one of those aircraft manuals and check list in the download section for the typ of aircraft you want.i know theres one on the default king air i have one.you can even print them out foldem up and have it handy to read as you fly.they really add alot to the sim.makes it seem more real useing them.

http://www.simviation.com/fs_manuals10.htm
Last edited by VPA_KTPA on Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
VPA_KTPA

Postby MattNW » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:56 am

Thanks. That helps some. What I'm looking for is a general procedure that you'd use for turbo prop planes. On a piston plane you'd run the engine rpms up and then switch magnetos and look for about a 50 rpm drop and return to full power when set to "both" and check to be sure the engine is running smoothly but I've never flown or even been in the cockpit of a turbo prop plane so I'm not sure what general procedure you'd use. I know ACOF doesn't simulate the full complexity of the larger planes but it'd be nice to have some procedure to use.
MattNW
Major
Major

Postby Bijan77 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:39 pm

the truth is you dont runup a turbo prop. You just check the gauges during taxi and do your standard cross check when departing. You first give it about 30% power, cross check all engine insturments then full power and check again. This is how a small turbo prop does it all the way up to 777's
Bijan77
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby VPA_KTPA » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:46 pm

Bijan77.what your saying dont make since.you say you dont run one up then you say you You first give it about 30% power, cross check all engine and then full power and check again.thats what a run up is.i wouldnt take off in the real world with out running one up and checking my gauges first to make shure its got enough power to get me off the ground.but you dont have to take my word for it you can go down to your local airport.and watch all typs do a run up at the holding point.
Last edited by VPA_KTPA on Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VPA_KTPA

Postby MattNW » Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:27 pm

OK, I see. In other words it isn't as specific a process as in a piston engine. I guess I was thinking that the more complex powerplant would have a more complex procedure to check it out before flight.

Thanks guys.  ;D
MattNW
Major
Major

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight