sound problems

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

sound problems

Postby Integrity4Him » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:02 am

OS MS Me

When flying VFR at MIA (or Tampa) in pattern with any aircraft with graphics set above med-low as demand for more memory to handle graphics, sound starts to fail resulting in an INCREDIBLY LOUD SCREECHING sound and frame rate reductions. Running FS9 @ 1280 x 1024 x 16 with 20 fps.  Have looked everywhere, downloaded/upgraded all chipsets and drivers and still can't seem to solve the problem.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  

J.Nelson
Jax., FL
Integrity4Him
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: sound problems

Postby VPA_KTPA » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:04 pm

I had this same problem with the other sound card i had.a sound blaster pci 512.it happen more so in heavy clouds.my ram was low and those typ sound cards use a lot of system resorces.so i got win xp so i could up my ram to1 gig and thats what it took to fix it.but i gave the pci 512 to my girlfriend.and got me the audigy LS well worth the little extra i paid for it.if you could list every thing you know about your system it would greatly increase the chance of pinning down the cause of  the problem.
VPA_KTPA

Postby Integrity4Him » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:57 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.  I've been struggling with this problem for two weeks now and am at the point of calling Microsoft but I'm not sure how much help they'll be.  Here is what I'm working with (hope it helps):

P4 Titan Motherboard 4x AGP
GA-81D533 with on-board sound
WinME
NVidia GeForce 4
Direct 3D set at 127 mb
DirectX v. 9
2.8 GHz
20 Gig Hard Drive
1024 Ram
Integrity4Him
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby VPA_KTPA » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:42 pm

Hello again.many things i can tell you now.number 1 the simulator is not the problem i am shure of that.number 2 win ME dosent support over 512 MB of ram.you can check that out on the win ME FAQ sheet.but win xp will handel as much ram as your motherboard will support its a much better opperating system for the new 32 bit games comeing out today.number 3 you might check and see if theres a update driver for that onboard sound.but my best advice to you is with that system you have is go with windows XP the diffrence is night and day between it and windows ME as far as performance goes.but with that much ram in win me your probley going to have one problem two many.i would do that system justis and get win xp.i know for shure that microsoft has droped win 98 from it support list and they may have droped win me as well.if that be the case then it probley wont do any good to contact them for advice.but wheather they have droped win me or not i am not shure on that.but in the mean time while you decide about win xp.i would pull that other stick of 512 mb of ram out and just have the 512 mb untill you can get win xp.and things might get back to normal for you.hope this information helps you out.
Last edited by VPA_KTPA on Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VPA_KTPA

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight