Re: MEMORY UPGRADE

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

Postby MattNW » Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:41 pm

Without sitting down at your computer it's hard to guess exactly what is causing the problem. One question though, does this happen with other programs or just Fs9? Also what does the message say when you get the blue screen?

You might also want to watch when the computer is booting to see if it's counting up all the memory. It could be possible that you bought some bad memory or that the stick you had in your maching was bad. I'm not certain exactly where you can find it but there's a memory testing application called "Memtest" that can check memory for you for bad spots. You might want to give a look for that utility and run a test on your new and old memory.
In Memory of John Consterdine (FS Tipster)1962-2003
MattNW
Major
Major

Postby Delta_ » Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:53 pm

Look into the idea your os may not be liking it.  Your system will not use over 512Mb RAM unless you put win2k on there or xp.  I would recommend getting xp.  You can pick this up for
Delta_
Major
Major

Postby VPA_KTPA » Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:05 pm

Yes i found that out the hard way.win 98 and win me wont handle more than 512 MBof ram.and will make your computer do unwanted things.win xp will handle as much ram as your motherboard will support.
VPA_KTPA

Postby Billerator » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:41 am

Windows ME CAN handle higher memory, it just means that you have to edit a certain line in your windows.ini or .cfg .

I had to do this and had no probs.
If you google it im sure you will get the info on exactly how to do this.
That is of course if you havent done this already.
Billerator
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Delta_ » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:50 am

I would say get winxp anyway.  You will be able to run stuff better, especially without the annoying memory leaks you get in 98 and ME.
Delta_
Major
Major

Postby VPA_KTPA » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:23 pm

Changeing the ini or .cfg file wont make the problems go away and you may crash your computer makeing changes to those important files.you can talk to as many computer experts as you like on the matter.and they all will tell you the same thing.get windows xp.if your on a tight budget you can buy the win xp upgrade for around $100 u.s dollars.and microsoft dont even support the older opperating systems any more.thats another reason to move up to the next one.
Last edited by VPA_KTPA on Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VPA_KTPA

Postby Billerator » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:39 pm

Yeah certainly XP is better, but i'm just sayin that if you are tight on budget then there are ways to work around it.

When changing the system files you just have to have the right numbers, its not a major alteration, just a stupid issue that microsoft didnt bother addressing.
Billerator
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby johrob » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:37 pm

Thanks for all the info, together with other sources of imformation, i am led to believe that messing about with the WIN INI file isnt really a solution and up grading to XP will be my best option.However the pension is not likely to take another bashing for a while. Must admit the system i have works well enough but like us all, always looking for something better.
thanks again to you all.Going to leave it on for a while as it might help somebody else
johrob
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Delta_ » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:20 pm

You can get the OEM full version of xp for less than the upgrade.  Just no fancy box that is all.  I would recommend before you install it you format the hdd, this will give you a clean slate and minimise any problems.
Delta_
Major
Major

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight