IM A NEWBIE, NEED ADVICE!!!

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

IM A NEWBIE, NEED ADVICE!!!

Postby The-Next-Round » Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:02 pm

:) i love the game fs2004 and would like some advice from any pro flyers out there, i love the boeing planes, thats what i like to fly, i can take off, i can keep it level in the sky, then it comes to lining up the run way and landing, ive had it 3 days now, ive not landed yet lol how on earth do i land? lol, and when im up there is there an auto pilot switch so i can relax? ;) ive just downloaded some planes from this site, so just want to say great site! :) and yes i have tried landing the boeing in the lessons and still crash everytime lol
The-Next-Round
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: IM A NEWBIE, NEED ADVICE!!!

Postby ozzy72 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:26 pm

Hi Next-Round, welcome to SimV.
Landing heavies is hard work. The trick is to get lined up on final about 10 miles away (so the runway is just visible), then get the speed to just above the stall with 1' of flaps (not full), and the U/C down. You'll probably need to use rudder to compensate for crosswinds.
The way I mastered it was landing smaller aircraft in really bad conditions until I knew I could hit the center line every time.
Its just practice ;)

Happy Landings
Ozzy
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Felix/FFDS » Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:29 pm

Hi Next-Round, welcome to SimV.
Landing heavies is hard work.
Happy Landings
Ozzy

Ozzy - A Griffon Spit does NOT count as a "heavy"...
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ozzy72 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:42 pm

I know Felix, but I do always get my 'alternative' stunt-planes home safely ;D The passengers might not feel so well, but that is their problem ;D
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Hagar » Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:50 pm

One thing that it's difficult for newbies to get their heads round. Control the rate of descent with the throttle(s). Don't dive at the runway as that will cause you to gain speed & you will either hit the ground or overshoot the runway. Also with heavies, make sure they're not fully loaded with fuel as this will almost certainly damage the gear.

Yes, there is an autopilot on most FS aircraft. I never use it so maybe some else can tell you how it's done. ;)

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby terbert » Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:13 pm

;D ;D ;D

Just to say, check r/way ILS freq,( assuming you have FS Navigator or somethng simular, )  put in on nav one, click apr on auto pilot panel, and it should land perfectly for you.

Tony C

Ps if this don't work, send your complaint to  Jacob's Creek vinary, Australia  ;D ;D ;D
terbert
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby The-Next-Round » Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:35 pm

hi guys. ty for all advice, i jusr flew from london to france, i was doing well, i found auto pilot which was great! then not only did i miss the run way, i crashed trying to turn around for it lol i like the sound of it landing for me, not sure how you do it though :)
The-Next-Round
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:22 am

Methinks it might be an idea to practice a few landings before embarking on a long journey. I can't see the point of going all the way to France just to crash when you get there. Try a few circuits & bumps in the Cessna 182 like real student pilots do. When you can land it properly progress to a twin & so on.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Real_Aviator » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:11 am

Hi.  The user who said 10 miles, flaps one and undercarriage down is has clearly never handled 350 tonnes into an airport.  ;)  You would stall in that config, or have such a high airspeed, your approach would still end up being disatrous.

To the newbie :  Like in real life, you need to plan ahead, and I would be delighted to take some time and help you make that landing.  Let me know how it goes too!

The flight you did from London to Paris is a nice one to start with.  it isnt to quick, say, from Heathrow to Luton, and it isnt too long say from Heathrow to New York.

Try to get the ILS frequency tuned into Nav 1 before take-off for the arrival airport.  Ignore the ATC runway advice.  Fly on your own first before being told to do this and that with the ATC.

On the start runway, plan to fly from EGLL (heathrow) to LFPG (paris charlles de gaule).   On the runway, select your altitude as 25 thousand.  This gives you a "cruise time" and not an "arrive at altitude start descending" flight.  Select the speed as 330 knots, (not mach), and heading is about...160 degrees?  You could you the GPS for that in flight creator.  Anyway...speed, alt, and heading set, now do the verticle speed.

Set this about 2000 feet per minute.  Turn the Autopilot OFF, and set flaps 5 degrees.  (Assume you are in a 737).  Give it power.  In real life, we dont use full power like some people think, because if you did, and you lost an engine, you have no "resourceful power" on the live engine.  Use about 91 N1%.

Rotate at about 145 knots.  Dont forget you start by default with 100% fuel.  Not liekly in real life 737 flying to paris from London!!! More like 25 per-cent.

So, you have rotated.  You might need some up trim to help it stay afloat.  When you reach about 200feet, press G, and then turn the autopilot on, and select ALT hold.  This will automatically climb at the preset 2000 fpm.  Right...thats good...Let the speed accelerate, and try to keep it at 330 by yourself.  DONT RUSH THE SPEED.  You may be at 16000 feet by the time you have 330 knots.  Keep it above 240 as soon as possible.  Retract the flaps by one every thousand feet to keep things simple.

Head for Paris!!!  As you climb, the aircraft gains speed an momentum, so you can increase the rate of climb to maybe 3200fpm and still be accelerating.  Control this wisely, and start to reduce it to 1000fpm about 1500 feet before your level altitude of 25000feet.

About 70 miles away, reduce speed to 300, and THEN descend to 12000 at 2500 fpm.  You will go over-speed otherwise.

Say you land on runway 31 (if there is one).  Look at the ILS for runway distance (DME).  Aim to be at 20 miles away, at about 7000 feet.  Wehn you are 20 miles away, try to have about 260 knots also.

PLAN TO POSITION YOURSELF AT 90 DEGREES TO THE RUNWAY HEADING ABOUT 15 MILES AWAY AT 200 KNOTS AND 4000 FEET.  

Then comes the hard bit.  Make flaps 5.  Speed now around 190.  Check the glideslope bar to the RIGHT of the ILS.  It should be at the TOP as you are under the glideslope and it is saying you need to go UP to meet the glideslope going down towards the runway (generally a 3 degree approach angle).

When you get pretty close to the center line, turn left to intercept it at 45 degrees, and slow to 170 knots.  Drop flaps one more.  Around this time, you will see the Glideslope indicator moving down.  This will, at about 170 knots or less, descend you, if you folllow it at a stable 170 knots or less, about 700 fpm.  Once you are on the centerline (without banking MORE than 30 degrees coz you will increase descent rate and stall when you try to recover), drop the gear at about 7 miles, and flaps about 20 ish.  Speed now 150.  Keep it going and make SMALL adjustments to the approach.  You could think about slowing to 140 and full flaps around 3 miles.  

DONT FREAK OUT when getting close to the runway.  It sounds strange, but imagine there is no runway, and you are continuing to descend and fly straight!  If you have used the autopilot, you should be pretty damn on.  (expect a huge sudden descent when the autopilot picks up the glideslope.  ignore this..IT WILL RECOVER)  This doesnt hapen in real life by the way ;)

Ok, about 700 feet, have speed 140/138, and full flaps.  Gear down, and turn the autopilot OFF if it is on.  Keep steady, and hardly move the plane.  When you get over the runway, pitch the nose up about 5 degrees and close the throttle.  (when I said turn the autopilot off, I meant the autothrottle too!)...otherwsie it will increase power as you raise the nose, because the speed will drop.

Kepp that position and DONT releive pressure as you get nearer the ground.  IT DOESNT WORK.  and the nose doesnt like it.  When you touch down, confirm power is idle (no power - engines running tho, dont turn them off), and extend spoilers *(speed brakes), and apply half reverse power.  Again, in real life, full reverse is not used to prolonge engine life.  Let the brakes stop you, not the engines.

YOUR DOWN!  Turn Reverse off at about 70 knots and keep breaking.  taxi at 10-20.  10 round bends)

Retract everything, and taxi off.  

Let me know how it goes ;)

dan_cpt340@hotmail.com  (Maybe the name helps you as to my aircraft type.)  Any questions, email me

Good luck.
Real_Aviator
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby pointerboat » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:30 am

Wow.  That is too cool.  I put my float into the top of a pine tree  but even that was not as cool as this .  Holy cow .
pointerboat
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby The-Next-Round » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:12 pm

hey, wow great advive thankyou! i still havnt landed a plane and ive had the sim 4 days now lol and yes i do kinda panic when i see runway. i use auto pilot to line my up with run way and i descend my alt till i touch down, then i either crash due to touching down too hard, or i turn off auto and the plane goes crazy and i take off again, OR auto pilot doesnt line me up with the run way it lines me up to a field and i say bugger it and touch down and crash into a tree, i can do everything well apart from land my boeing. crazy! lol. oh and sometimes i dont make it that far i just stall or overspeed :( so............4 days and counting LOL
The-Next-Round
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:16 am

ive had the sim 4 days now

Next-Round. I still think you're trying to run before you can walk. This quote from EA_KATL's link seems to confirm that.
I intend to teach you in simple terms, how to fly a Light Aircraft. We then move you on to flying an airliner in the Virtual World.

I suggest you start on a trainer first. That's what they're for. ;)

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby VPA_KTPA » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:44 am

Yes Hagar is right.weve been around since the days of fs95,and we didnt have it made like you new guys do now.we had no gps no atc.and had to learn the ropes to get from a to b.but it made us like the sim even more cause we know how to use the tools the sim gave us to use.and if you dont learn the right way of flying you will most likely become burned out and whished you had never bought the sim.and miss the fun and the thrill of virtual flight.so get the cessna out of the hanger and you will see its more easy to handle than the big iron is.and it gives you time to think and make a misstake or two and recover.and thats just something the airliners wont do.

P.S fs95 is the reason you see that realworld cessna 310 to the left of my post.it started me wanting to learn to fly.but i started out in the real world in a cessna 150 a verry small plane.
Last edited by VPA_KTPA on Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
VPA_KTPA

Postby codered » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:49 am

Man, if I had a nickel for everytime my flight instructor said,"...don't FREAK out..." ;D
Last edited by codered on Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windows XP SP1
Motherboard: Epox 8RDA + main board
Processor: AMD XP2500 Barton CPU
Memory: PC2700 1gb Geil DDR
Hard Drive: SEA HDD IDE 40GB 7M 40GPP
Hard Drive: Western Digital 40gb 8mb cache
Monitor 15 LCD Flat Panel Displa
codered
Major
Major

Postby The-Next-Round » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:08 pm

lol good posts guys, i have done some of the training in the small aircraft, and i will check out that site for help thankyou for that, and no........still not landed anything LOL the game is so real its freaky, when flying through storms the plane rocks and alt goes crazy and speed doesnt know where it is lol
The-Next-Round
Ground hog
Ground hog

Next

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight