Shimmering scenery

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

Shimmering scenery

Postby flapper1 » Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:04 pm

Suffering from strobe/shimmer effect on scenery especially at night on lit buildings. Tried all settings and have latest drivers. 2mgz rig with 512 mb and 9700 card. Can anyone help?
flapper1
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Shimmering scenery

Postby VPA_KTPA » Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:18 pm

Have you tried the Omega Drivers.i am not useing an ATI card but if the Omega drivers wont help someone will be along shortly that has the same card maybe they can offer more help to you.but it dose sound like a driver or settings problem.heres the Omega link.good luck in your quest.
http://www.omegacorner.com/index.html
Last edited by VPA_KTPA on Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VPA_KTPA

Postby dave3cu » Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:16 am

If your speaking of the shimmering or flickering of distant objects this may be caused by high setting on your mip mapping slider, in fs9.  

Most posts Ive seen here recommend a max of 4, and thats what works the best for me.

Cheers,
dave

And a Happy New Year!!
At that time [1909] the chief engineer was almost always the chief test pilot as well. That had the fortunate result of eliminating poor engineering early in aviation.
dave3cu
Major
Major

Postby _526th_Fireman » Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:13 pm

Dave's right. Check your Mip Mapping setting in the game graphics. Bet it is set higher than 4. Run it back to 4 or less and see what happens.
After much experimenting on my part, 4 is the Max I set MM to to avoid the "Shinies".  8)
Systemax Sabre Ultimate gaming rig.

I got all the goodies and all the power I need to run anything thrown at me for the next two months!
_526th_Fireman
Major
Major

Postby Ray_razer » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:37 pm

although turning the mipp mapping down to 4 does remove the shimmering, its not solving the problem.Im having the same problem with my geforce fx.This problem never occured when i first put the card in though.Ive contacted microsoft and every bit of advice that they sent me hasnt worked.Its as if microsoft themselves dont even know how to fix this issue.If any1 here finds a fix,please please let me know!!!!
Ray_razer
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby nickle » Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:00 pm

I don't think you will eliminate the shimmering of trees.
MS isn't going to tell you that.
Settings may help some.
2002 trees were more green blobs than trees.  COF trees have greater definition, more like trees.  These are 2d objects.  Means that every time the eyepoint changes, the tree is regenerated, hence the flickering or shimmering effect.  My opinion.
nickle
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Ray_razer » Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:23 pm

yes i couldnt agree with you more.Im not really complaining about the trees though.It when you are at a low altitude, its as if there are oversized pixels in the distance moving,swooshing around giving a flashy horrible swirling effect.
Ray_razer
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby freedomhays » Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:10 pm

I always think of the shimmering trees as a breeze blowing through the leaves.
freedomhays
Captain
Captain

Postby nickle » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:26 pm

Check this site out:

http://members.lycos.nl/vairkennis/FS9tips.txt

See texture_bandwidth=40 and comments

Your card has lots of ram so memory increase shouldn't be a problem (and may not solve the problem)>
nickle
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight