Error FS9

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

Error FS9

Postby pointerboat » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:18 am

Hi guys.  After a busy week of unzipping and sorting add-on files - mainly aircraft, but also a little scenery - I get an error message : "The Dem4km.bgf file is missing or damaged. Please reinstall flight simulator to restore or repair the file.  Flight Simulator will now quit ."  Allright , I like a laugh as well as the next guy, but......what on earth do I do next ?  Do I have to do an uninstall and lose all of my nifty new planes ?  I've made a backup disc for aircraft , sound , guages , and texture ( five discs actually ), but I burned them collectively instead of doing them as four different and seperate discs .  Does anyone have any advice for me in my hour of suffering ?  And I was just starting to impress my wife and everything !! ???
pointerboat
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Error FS9

Postby VPA_KTPA » Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:19 am

We have all been there done that once or twice i have even read some haveing to reinstall it 10 times.you just have to bite the bullet and go for it.but backup as much as you can that you want to save first.just try not to do what ever you did that got things in bad shape again.and good luck in your quest.
Last edited by VPA_KTPA on Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
VPA_KTPA

Postby Hagar » Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:23 am

I haven't tried with FS9 but a straighforward Uninstall/Install to the original directory should restore all default files without messing up your addons. Providing 3rd party scenery was installed correctly & activated via the Scenery Library you will need to reactivate it.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pointerboat » Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:46 am

" activate via the scenery library " ?    The extent of my ignorance appalls me .  I'm thinking that I should make an aircraft backup disc and then be more selective about what I install .  I've added about a hundred planes to the basic FS9 aircraft file and now I'm wondering if I wasn't being too adventurous !   ::)          
pointerboat
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby VPA_KTPA » Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:58 am

You shouldnt have to make a disk.just make a new folder in my documents copy the aircraft and gauges,modules,sound,effects,and fs9.cfg and put them in there till you get it reinstalled then drag them back to the sim.thats what i do in that case.but if you ever have to reformat your computer then you might want it all on a disk.as to what Hagar said i dont understand it either.maybe he will go into more details on that one.and help you out.but it looks as though the scenery is what got you in trouble.but if you dont back up all the right files the aircraft may be worthless that you have on the disk.so maybe a lesson learned and just start over.but i wouldnt try adding in scenery untill you learn more the dos and donts of it.i have read the mesh scenery is getting alot in trouble these days.
Last edited by VPA_KTPA on Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
VPA_KTPA

Postby Hagar » Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:19 am

[quote]" activate via the scenery library " ?
Last edited by Hagar on Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pointerboat » Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:39 am

I have learned that it is better, perhaps, to err on the side of caution .  Up until now I have been not unlike a virgin in a brothel !!
pointerboat
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:45 am

[quote]I have learned that it is better, perhaps, to err on the side of caution .

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby VPA_KTPA » Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:50 am

Yes i agree with hagar.put one thing in at a time and test it,and if a problem comes up that last one you put in is your problem.but allso if you uninstall the program its going to leave some files behind.after you uninstall it.so go in and deleate the fs9 folder before you reinstall it that way it will be a fresh install.and one other important thing if you installed anything with an installer program uninstall those files first.good luck.and dont feal so bad its happen to the best of us at one point or another.
Last edited by VPA_KTPA on Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
VPA_KTPA

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight