C208 Caravan

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

C208 Caravan

Postby walt_stout » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:12 am

Someone please tell me.........what is the inertial separator in the C208 Caravan?
walt_stout
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: C208 Caravan

Postby IcedFoxtrotter » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:05 am

The what? ???
[move][i]A.L. Quote: Everytime you go away, it actually kinda makes my day. Everytime you leave you slam the door. You pick your words so carefully, you hate to think you're hurting me. You leave me laughing on the floor......Cause I don't give
IcedFoxtrotter
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Cvrt7.62Ghst » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:58 am

??? ??? ???
Yea, though our country transits through the international airspace of death, we shall fear no evil, for You are with us, Your fighter and your bomber, they comfort us.
[center][img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/Marc-
Cvrt7.62Ghst
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

The engine type has a reverse flowRe: C208 Caravan

Postby dave3cu » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:25 am

As I was clueless on this I had to look it up.

Here is an exerpt ffrom the discussion of a different a/c (twin engine) that explains its function.....

The engine type has a reverse flow layout, air entering via a cylindrical mesh screen situated within the plenum chamber. The air intake lip-skin de-icing systems utilise electrical heating and inertial separators are fitted at the rear of the trunking. The latter systems consist of two mechanically linked vanes in each intake. When selected ON, a forward hinged flap on the upper surface within the intake trunking moves downward reducing the cross-section of the intake flow path and deflecting the airflow through a more acute angle as it enters the plenum chamber. Solids or liquids in the intake flow thus centrifuge to the outer circumference of the flow path and exit to the atmosphere via the bypass door (ie, the second vane) thus preventing clogging of the compressor inlet screen. The inertial seperator systems are controlled by two adjacent switches on the flight deck, one for each engine.

Cheers,

Dave
At that time [1909] the chief engineer was almost always the chief test pilot as well. That had the fortunate result of eliminating poor engineering early in aviation.
dave3cu
Major
Major

Postby walt_stout » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:52 am

Thanks for the info.  In the back of my mind somewhere there was a foggy idea that I had heard of an inertial separator somewhere having to do with drying or cleaning of the air in applications other than aircraft.
walt_stout
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby freedomhays » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:21 pm

ENGINE INERTIAL SEPARATOR

An inertial separator system in the engine air inlet duct prevents moisture particles from entering the compressor air inlet plenum when in bypass mode. The inertial separator consists of two movable vanes and a fixed airfoil which, during normal operation, route the inlet air through a gentle turn into the compressor air inlet plenum. When separation of moisture particles is desired, the vanes are positioned so that the inlet air is forced to execute a sharp turn in order to enter the inlet plenum. This sharp turn causes any moisture particles to separate from the inlet air and discharge overboard through the inertial separator outlet in the left side of the cowling.
   The T-handle is labeled "BYPASS-PULL" and "NORMAL-PUSH." The BYPASS position should be used when flying through visible moisture such as clouds, rain, snow, and ice crystals with an outside air temperature of 4
freedomhays
Captain
Captain

Postby walt_stout » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:42 pm

Thanks, both responses.  As I said, somewhere in the back of my mind I had the idea the inertial serarator had to do with drying, or separating moisture from air in other industrial applications.
walt_stout
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight