Logitech HOTAS X56 in FS2004?

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

Logitech HOTAS X56 in FS2004?

Postby Blaze4402 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:27 pm

Hello everyone... I've been playing FS2004 for over 15 years, using a Saitek AV8R-01. I was super happy with the Saitek's functionality, but after all these years the device is worn out and has become erratic. The labour-intensive work-arounds I've been using to keep it usable are no longer working.

I would have been happy to buy a brand-new Saitek AV8R, but I can only find used ones (probably as worn out as my own...) So I decided it was time to get a new HOTAS device. I was keen on having the dual throttle functionality like in the Saitek device (because it's fun to taxi the DC-3 with differential engine power), and that narrowed my options considerably. I ended up settling for the Saitek/Logitech X56, as it had good reviews (4 out of 5 stars on Amazon) and has been around for over 3 years, so I suppose it's selling well.

Well, I received the X56 yesterday, and I can't say I'm happy with it. The throttle component is treated as "joystick #2". When I went to calibrate the throttle component, I realize that the left lever is assigned to the elevator axis, and the right lever is assigned to the aileron axis. Sure I can change the assignments in FS2004, but the end result is that the throttle operation is jerky, not smooth at all. Makes my faulty AV8R feel precise and smooth by comparison.... WTF? The X56 retails for about $400, I'd expect it to work at least as smooth as a cheap $35, worn-out 10 year old device!

Without going on and on, I have a simple question: is the X56 compatible with FS2004/FS9...? And if so, has anyone satisfactorily used the X56 for FS2004? And if so, what are the tricks? What is the best way to assign controls to the device...?

I'm ready to return the Logitech X56, but I thought I'd first try to find out whether it is possible to satisfactorily use it for FS2004/FS9...
Blaze4402
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Logitech HOTAS X56 in FS2004?

Postby vidalkessler » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:38 pm

Blaze4402 wrote:Hello everyone... I've been playing FS2004 for over 15 years, using a Saitek AV8R-01. I was super happy with the Saitek's functionality, but after all these years the device is worn out and has become erratic. The labour-intensive work-arounds I've been using to keep it usable are no longer working.

I would have been happy to buy a brand-new Saitek AV8R, but I can only find used ones (probably as worn out as my own...) So I decided it was time to get a new HOTAS device. I was keen on having the dual throttle functionality like in the Saitek device (because it's fun to taxi the DC-3 with differential engine power), and that narrowed my options considerably. I ended up settling for the Saitek/Logitech X56, as it had good reviews (4 out of 5 stars on Amazon) and has been around for over 3 years, so I suppose it's selling well. cookie clicker

Well, I received the X56 yesterday, and I can't say I'm happy with it. The throttle component is treated as "joystick #2". When I went to calibrate the throttle component, I realize that the left lever is assigned to the elevator axis, and the right lever is assigned to the aileron axis. Sure I can change the assignments in FS2004, but the end result is that the throttle operation is jerky, not smooth at all. Makes my faulty AV8R feel precise and smooth by comparison.... WTF? The X56 retails for about $400, I'd expect it to work at least as smooth as a cheap $35, worn-out 10 year old device!

Without going on and on, I have a simple question: is the X56 compatible with FS2004/FS9...? And if so, has anyone satisfactorily used the X56 for FS2004? And if so, what are the tricks? What is the best way to assign controls to the device...?

I'm ready to return the Logitech X56, but I thought I'd first try to find out whether it is possible to satisfactorily use it for FS2004/FS9...

Does no one respond to this issue?
vidalkessler
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby ViperPilot » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:52 pm

Howdy!

Bear with me here, ok? Have you Calibrated the X56 in FS2004? Do the Slider Bars in Calibration Properties move smoothly when you move the Throttle? It sounds like you've changed the Assignments to Throttle instead of Ailerons/Elevators, so that's okay.

It might just be a sticky pot in the throttle that's causing the jerkiness, in which case return it and have them exchange it for a new one.

Surprised you can't find a new AV8R, ,even on Amazon! But hey, I fly FS2004 with a Gamepad! :o

Alan :D
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby sproutscolobus » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:25 pm

The X56 arrived safely yesterday, however I'm not too pleased with it. The throttle is referred to as the second joystick. When attempting to tune the throttle section, I discovered that the left lever controls the elevator and the right lever controls the aileron. I could try remapping the controls in FS2004, but it wouldn't fix the phrazle choppy throttle response. This thing makes my broken AV8R seem like a Swiss watch in contrast. At its price tag of $400, the X56 should perform as smoothly as my worn-out, $35 phone from 10 years ago.
sproutscolobus
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight