fs9.cfg for Separate Install

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

fs9.cfg for Separate Install

Postby investdude » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:30 pm

Question (Hope somebody will have the answer). If you make a separate installation of FS2004, which obviously would not be in the default location, where would the fs9.cfg file go? Would the separate install use the default fs9.cfg file? What if the separate installation was on a different drive, what would happen then? I have several installs of CFS2 but that is no problem since the CFS2.cfg file goes in the main CFS2 folder. Also, CFS2 does not make any registry settings, not sure if that is true for FS2004. Thinking of making a separate install of FS2004 but wondering about the fs9.cfg file location.
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: fs9.cfg for Separate Install

Postby zswobbie1 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:04 pm

My fs9.cfg is here.. C:\Users\Robin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9
The other new cfgs will be in that folder as well.

So, if you have a second or third FS2004 install, each install must have it's folder, so you will have FS2004, Golden Wings & Silver Wings, as examples. I have 5 different FS2004 installs.

Please install or copy & paste the sims into C:\ & NOT in C:\Program Files.

The FS9.exe MUST be uniquely named as well, so, in each additional sim folder you must rename the fs9.exe, so you will end up with an FS9.exe, a GW.exe & a SW.exe

You will therefore have separate cfg's, such as fs9.cfg, gw.cfg & sw.exe one the sims are run.

To find them might be a bit difficult. Download a little program called Everything from http://www.voidtools.com

This is, in my opinion, the fastest desktop search engine out there, & after running it, when you start typing, it will display the search results immediately.

Have fun,

Kind Regards,
Robin
<<r
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby investdude » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:51 pm

Found the answer to my question by experimentation. Regardless of the location of the separate install, it uses the configuration file which is in the default location.
IE on my Windows Xp system, C://Documents and Settings/Tony/Application Data/Microsoft/FS9
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:17 am

Remember, if your second install is in a folder called 'FS2004, & the exe is called FS2004. exe, then the cfg will be called FS2004.exe, not FS9.cfg, so each install with a unique named exe will have its own cfg.
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight