Vintage Era

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

Vintage Era

Postby zswobbie1 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:32 am

Just for fun (& being bored with my current sim) I'm thinking of yet another install of FS2004 using vintage aircraft only.
I think that this could be good fun for my VA as well. Vintage racing could be fun.

I'll probably use 'Golden Wings' as a basis, obviously rooting out the normal aircraft, and I'm looking for ideas for the older vintage aircraft (freeware please) as well as any other vintage type stuff, gliders, boats, vehicles & scenery to bring a vintage world alive.

I envisage a pre-WWII cut-off date, so, any ideas, thoughts and suggestions will be very welcome.

Regards,
Robin
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Vintage Era

Postby akoyeh » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:22 pm

A good idea that quite a few others are doing in various ways. That should liven up FS2004 for you again. Have got a buddy in another forum who has set up one with a 50s theme, it's great, it breathes! Your thought of an even earlier era resonates, as this is something I wouldn't mind having as well. Pre-swastika, less say. Hate looking at those no matter the excuse, for historical as well as present reasons. Best wishes with your venture, may it go well.

Cleverness is mere opinion, bewilderment is intuition.

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:02 am

Thanks, I'm thinking of pre-war, so the Bleriots, et al... Pre Golden Wings, so it's the bamboo & glue era.
There is so much for the 40's & 50's & I think the earlier stuff will be fun.
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby hertzie » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:04 am

Hi Zwobbie, I made an extra FS9 on a separate HD and have put in only planes from the 20-ties/30-ties, mostly "old" CFS2 or FS9 models, which I have updated for myself. If you send me a PM, I can send you some as a start, if you like. And I use Howards Natural World and other great FS9 scenery updates from that era.

Happy flying,

hertzie.
hertzie
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:27 pm

Hertzie, I PM'd you.
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:00 am

What I have done is to have (yet) another install for the pre-Golden Wings era, from the beginnings of flight to the beginning of the GW, (including birds!)

So my install will include the Wright planes & gliders, Demoiselle, Roe tri-plane, Bleriots, the old Curtiss's, early Zeppelins, Dunne, Farman's, gliders for the era, Lohner's, Santos Dumont's etc.

I think that this era has been quite forgotten, as there is plenty more modern stuff out there.

Suitable scenery is a problem, which is why I'm using Golden Wings as a 'background'.

I intend to share with my VA club, & have some races & challenge flights, as we are all used to faster planes, & I think the vintage flights could be challenging.
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Flying Trucker » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:06 am

Shades of "Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines"... :dance:

Now that is my era...
Would be nice to have appropriate Scenery and Aircraft for FSX and whatever is newer than FSX to enjoy that Time Line.
Moving ahead in History World War One came along four or five years later and great strides in aviation took place.
World War One (1914 to 1918) too me is a separate era prior to the 1909 to 1913 period of aviation and both Time Lines should have their own Scenery compatible with FSX or whatever program is newer and more advanced.

Now that would be Awesome... ;)
Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby zswobbie1 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:01 am

Well, I do prefer the 'low's 'n slow's' , so now I can enjoy the VERY 'low's 'n slow's' ^-^

As far as scenery goes, we dont need airports, there were none, but period buildings could be great.
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby akoyeh » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:36 am

Am following your efforts with interest. Hope to see some screenshots of how it turns out.
There is an excellent book you and others with these interests would truly enjoy reading:
"Chasing Icarus: The Seventeen Days in 1910..." by Gavin Mortimer.
It's honestly one of the finest books on very early aviation you'll find anywhere, Robin, it takes you back there.
It's very well-written, entertaining, and highly educational. Used copies are available at low pricing.

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Roypcox » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:38 am

You guys are making me want to reinstall my 2004 again!!! Roy
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby akoyeh » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:17 pm

Roypcox wrote:.
You guys are making me want to reinstall my 2004 again!!!

If you have the disk space, why not? Do you miss some aircraft that you're lacking in your present sim of choice? Would you benefit from re-visiting some old flights with the same graphics that you've received so much enjoyment from in days gone by? Do you, like many of us these days, yearn for a simpler time? If so then my suggestion is that you go for it. Truth be told, FS2002 is presently loaded up on my rig's tower and has been since last winter. It's still flown on occasion, all for exactly the same reasons I've listed and as side hobby to see what all can be done with it as well. Robin is doing something wonderful, in my opinion. .We can too. Yes we can.

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:11 am

After many hours of searching, and a lot of fun learning about the history of flight, I have found, amongst others, Wright gliders, Bleriot's, Demoiselle, an Eagle (well, it is an original flyer), Antoinette, Avro tri-plane, a Bicylcle (gotta get around), Caproni, Caudron, Curtiss's, a bunch of Zeppelins, Dunne, du Temple, Ellehammer, Eole, Farmans, Fokker Spin, Grunau gliders, Lohners, the Opel & a few others, including a vintage car, or 2 as well as a steamboat.

This has really been an interesting journey, & I think that historical aircraft are pretty much unique to FS2004, as it the Schneider 1929 Race planes & scenery, & the Bugatti project from Lionheart.
The Schneider Project also was fascinating to read up.

I also found a suitable Wright Flyer splash screen. Our hobby has become so diverse, with very highly detailed jet liners & such like, & I think that taking a step back in time to where it all began could be worthy for those that would like to remember the trials & tribulations when flight began.

As I said, I'm using GW as a base, as the airports have been removed in USA, & it will be great to expand & find suitable period buildings.

Not too bad for a 15 year old sim.

Regards,
Robin
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby akoyeh » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:31 am

Sounds like you're well on your way to a great setup, Robin, good on you.
Have found one that may take you back farther in time than you may wish to go:
http://www.allflightmods.com/flight-sim ... iage-1842/

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:12 am

Thanks for the Henson, It has been added to my vintage fleet. <<q
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby akoyeh » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:47 pm

You likely already have them, though the top several on this list are all worth it. Have flown the Fleet in FS2002 many happy hours: https://www.avsim.com/pages/0803/fs2004 ... addon.html though I've always heard she works in FS2004. Shades of Richard Bach's "Illusions", a great afternoon's read if you've never had the pleasure. It's another reason I love Bill & Lynn's TravelAir 6000 in FS2004, imagining what it would be like to fly with D.W. Shimoda: http://simviation.com/fs2004vintage38.htm <-- No doubt you already have this package, am just linking it for others' benefit.

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight