New F4-F phantom II for fs9 flies like a stone.

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

New F4-F phantom II for fs9 flies like a stone.

Postby mikeEmerc » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:46 am

I downloaded the newest Phantom for FS9,which was uploaded to Simviation on April 22 of this year.
At high speeds,she flew OK I guess. She shows problems of flying level. But the real problem comes during landing. Any attempt at almost any configuration of flaps,throttle,speed brake etc., while landing below the speed of 240-260 results in dropping like a stone.
I tried reconfiguring various settings in the air and cfg files to no avail.
So,I did the only decent thing to a dying beast,and I deleted it from my sim. I mean,if I cant fly it,why let it hold hard drive space.
But it IS appealing to the eye. Now,if it only flew as well as she looks.She has some good animations as well.
During the latter days of Nam,she was called by the pilots the "lead sled", and now I understand why.
mikeEmerc
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: New F4-F phantom II for fs9 flies like a stone.

Postby garymbuska » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:19 am

mikeEmerc wrote:I downloaded the newest Phantom for FS9,which was uploaded to Simviation on April 22 of this year.
At high speeds,she flew OK I guess. She shows problems of flying level. But the real problem comes during landing. Any attempt at almost any configuration of flaps,throttle,speed brake etc., while landing below the speed of 240-260 results in dropping like a stone.
I tried reconfiguring various settings in the air and cfg files to no avail.
So,I did the only decent thing to a dying beast,and I deleted it from my sim. I mean,if I cant fly it,why let it hold hard drive space.
But it IS appealing to the eye. Now,if it only flew as well as she looks.She has some good animations as well.
During the latter days of Nam,she was called by the pilots the "lead sled", and now I understand why.

One area you can look at is the weight and balance section of the aircraft cfg file
If you have another plane like this that does not have this problem you can compare the weight and balance sections.
I have discovered that in some cases there is to much weight and it is not positioned correctly. Now if the plane was not designed correctly than you are out of luck as you will not be able to fix it no matter what you do.
But the weight and balance section is usually the problem in these cases.
8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby mikeEmerc » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:15 am

Thanks Gary.
Just one question. Changing the weight and balance wont disturb the datum reference (if I am using the correct term) point. I tried doing something similar to what you mentioned and all my points appeared to shift and the wheels,and such all seemed to shift. Not the visual tires mind you.Just the point that the turn was originally located. In other words,when you turn,the front tire is supposed to track true to the turn.But when I adjusted a figure,the turning point moved back toward the center of the ac,tho the actual tire stayed where it was designed to be. Sorry if I am creating some confusion. If I dont have the data right in front of me,I forget terms and such and have to describe what I mean in a primitive manner.
mikeEmerc
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby garymbuska » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:28 pm

mikeEmerc wrote:Thanks Gary.
Just one question. Changing the weight and balance wont disturb the datum reference (if I am using the correct term) point. I tried doing something similar to what you mentioned and all my points appeared to shift and the wheels,and such all seemed to shift. Not the visual tires mind you.Just the point that the turn was originally located. In other words,when you turn,the front tire is supposed to track true to the turn.But when I adjusted a figure,the turning point moved back toward the center of the ac,tho the actual tire stayed where it was designed to be. Sorry if I am creating some confusion. If I dont have the data right in front of me,I forget terms and such and have to describe what I mean in a primitive manner.

This is a possibility as when the plane is originally designed the designer has to make a center of gravity and the weight and balance section is supposed to take that into account but sometimes people do not know what they are doing.
But now that you mentioned the lead sled I remember when I was stationed at NAS JAX whenever a Phatom landed you could hear them coming from a long way off as they were constantly adjusting the throttle to prevent the aircraft from stalling.
Some aircraft are just not designed to fly slow. I know the Black Bird was said to leak gas like a sieve unless in was flying high and fast. You have to remember that fighters were meant for one thing FAST FAST AND FASTER.
I also wondered how any one ever flew the A4. I actually tried to sit in the cockpit of an A4 when I was at NAS JAX and there was no way in this gods earth was I going to fit in that cockpit and back then I went 5 ft 10 inches and weighed 115 lbs once I got in this thing the joystick was to close to a certain part of my body we won't mention here. But I am sure you know what I mean. I honestly think that a straight jacket has more room than this cockpit did :D :whistle: 8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby TryHinkel » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:56 pm

Hope you have good fortune in tweaking the CFG to make it work. I downloaded some 737-200 and had the same problem, it was a downright pig to fly. After studying the CFG and making a LOT of tweaks, it finally straightened out. Keep at it, you'll be glad you did!
TryHinkel
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby napamule » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:07 pm

Bob Chicilo did an update (of flight dynamics) and it's in library here at Simviation. Search for it and save youself a lot of grief. Thanks Bob C. You the man.
Chuck B
Napamule
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby mikeEmerc » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:15 pm

Thanks again Gary for the response. I was in the "position" to observe the SR-71 when I was in the military MANY moons ago. Tho I never saw any fuel leaking from it,the word around the "shop" was that it DID in fact leak.Then,the ac upon accelerating would blow off excess fuel from the skin,and at speed,the "air"friction was enough to cause the heat sufficient to cause the skin to swell into place.Someone mentioned to me that she would then top off her fuel cells in flight,but that didnt seem realistic,as for her to create enough heat to swell the skin into place,no other ac,much less,a fuel tanker could keep up with her. Regardless,she DID command attention. We were in formation one day,and the C.O. was handing out a couple promotions. Now,it seems that every company had a native American in their roster,and we were no different. Naturally,his handle was "Chief" . Chief stepped out of formation when we were all at attention and quietly said " Habu ", and every one,including the C.O. broke position just to watch her fly off into the sun. She was something else. We could hear her start her engines thru the mountains and we were 60+ miles away! I COULD tell you something about her that startled the crap out of me,but I dont know if THAT technology end of her is still classified. I dont imagine I would be breaching classified info by disclosing it as that was a LOT of years ago,but what she did is NOT old technology,as to this day,I know of no ac that did what she did. If you're interested,send me a PM.
mikeEmerc
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby mikeEmerc » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:19 pm

Napamule. You mentioned that Bob C. did an update on the flight dynamics. Pardon my ignorance bud,but do you mean the f.d. for the F4 or just what exactly? Thanks for your reply.
mikeEmerc
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby napamule » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:32 pm

Update for Virtavia F-4 Phantom II pack 3
Zip file preview
49.93Mb (7121 downloads)
This is an update for FS9 of the Virtavia F-4 Phantom II pack 3. I am uploading the packs separately so people don't have such a big file to download and so they can better choose what they want out of the 3 packs. I have updated the flight dynamics, added a few gauges like a second autopilot so you can fly a GPS course, and added the fourth wheel. This is the whole aircraft (8 textures and 10 models). It has a working VC.
Posted Feb 17, 2011 20:17 by Bob Chicilo
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Mon May 01, 2017 1:54 am

napamule wrote:Update for Virtavia F-4 Phantom II pack 3

Link to the file --> https://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=VirtaviaF-4Pack3up9.zip&categoryId=&filename=Y

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby mikeEmerc » Wed May 03, 2017 11:53 am

Mucho thanks for the link. I'll giver her a flight test,LOL.
mikeEmerc
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight